Red Kerr

I got really choked up watching "Johnny 'Red' Kerr Night" and seeing what he really meant to this organization. It is a shame that the man finally makes the final cut for the Basketball Hall of Fame, and he could get in but not be there. Something is wrong with that selection process. Kerr reminded me of my grandfather, just that guy who could talk sports for hours and be the most friendly person too. Like Norm, we heard his frustration on-air but we heard his sure passion too. The shot over Ehlo, isn't so great without the great play by play of Durham and Kerr. In that one moment, that one play, that one shot; he said what every Bulls fan felt which was just exstatic joy.

QUOTE (kjshoe04 @ Feb 27, 2009 -> 03:42 AM)
Kerr was like Hawk for the Bulls. He was a homer but you knew exactly what he felt about the team. The NBA is losing another great man tonight.

I love Hawk even more now. I busted out some old Bulls games from the dynasty just to hear Red do his thing. The love/passion he had for Bulls basketball, even during arguably the darkest period (the end of the dynasty through 2004) for any franchise in NBA history, will never be replicated.

Edited by Jordan4life

I remember being out at Elgin CC for an outing and Kerr was out fishing one of the ponds. We all stopped and said hello. I asked him if all the interruptions bothered him and he said something to the effect of not wanting to know what the alternative is.

Bummer.

This is like Hawk and Crede dying on the same day.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Feb 27, 2009 -> 08:01 AM)
I think Michael Jordan said it best when he said that his path was paved by Johnny Red Kerr. Without him, Jordan wouldn't have been possible. RIP Red.

I dont quite understand or believe that, but regardless what a sad day for the Bulls. The weird thing is both guys were starting to bug me towards the end but now that they are gone, Im a lil crushed.

QUOTE (SoxFan101 @ Feb 27, 2009 -> 08:12 AM)
I dont quite understand or believe that, but regardless what a sad day for the Bulls. The weird thing is both guys were starting to bug me towards the end but now that they are gone, Im a lil crushed.

the Bulls were nothing before Red Kerr, is what that means. Kerr rooted the franchise, Jordan made it grow into something spectacular

RIP Red...you will be missed.

And the thing that really gets my goat about Johnny "Red" Kerr Night wasn't the fact that they had it, but the fact that he wasn't inducted into the Hall of Fame. This isn't an NBA HOF...it's a BASKETBALL HOF. What more does one man have to do?

Public League Champion

Final Four

NBA Champion

Third best Center of his playing time

First Head Coach of the Bulls and Suns

Fantastic Color Guy

The fact that he and Tex Winter aren't in the Hall is beyond me.

My heart goes out to his immediate family and his extended family...all of Chicago.

The writing was on the wall for this when they moved Johnny's ceremony up a couple of months, but to lose him is still a very sad day. Combine that with the far too soon (and to a lot of people, very surprising) loss of Norm Van Lier, and the events of yesterday are hard to handle. They both lived great lives, and by all accounts were great people, which just makes yesterday even sadder. It was an all time sad day for Chicago sports yesterday, and I don't think basketball here will ever be quite the same without those guys. RIP.