Contreras/Colon moving along

southsider2k5

http://www.usatoday.com/sports/baseball/al...940270571_x.htm

Colon, Contreras to return for White Sox

Posted 18h 11m ago | Comment | Recommend E-mail | Save | Print | Subscribe to stories like this

TUCSON, Ariz. (AP) — A schedule has been set for injured pitchers Bartolo Colon and Jose Contreras to return to the mound for the Chicago White Sox, pitching coach Don Cooper said Thursday.

"I'm very, very, very pleasantly surprised," Cooper said.

Contreras ruptured his left Achilles last August and had an original expected return date of a year. Colon had bone chips removed from his elbow this offseason, with the White Sox hoping to have him up and running by mid-camp.

"Now I would have bet that Contreras would have been ahead of schedule, but I would not have bet that he would have been ready," Cooper said.

"I know how hard he works, so I knew he would be ahead, but he's well ahead." said Cooper, who added the Colon was "right along with Contreras."

FIND MORE STORIES IN: Chicago White Sox | Achilles | Mark Buehrle | Bartolo Colon | Opening Day | Jose Contreras | Don Cooper | Jeff Marquez

The two will finish off their throwing programs Friday morning, take two days off, then take the mound to throw sideline sessions on Monday. "Just fastballs, changeups, to build some arm strength," Cooper said.

If there are no setbacks they will throw sidelines on March 4 and again on March 7. Cooper will give them March 8 off and bring them back the following day to face their first live hitting in a batting-practice session.

"It's the same stuff we were doing with the guys that were here before and healthy and ready to go," Cooper said of the process.

But then again, not a lot of those other guys have the resume of Colon and Contreras.

"We're looking to leave camp with the guys that we feel can win ball games, and they have a track record, they have an edge," Cooper said.

"If they're throwing well they're going to be in there for Opening Day," he said. "If not, we have some other guys to turn to."

Manager Ozzie Guillen said he was "really excited" about the prospect of Colon's and Contreras' return.

"What Jose is doing in spring training is great, and moving around very well. He's handled it very well and it will be an exciting day for everyone in this organization, to see those guys back on the mound and to make this club out of spring training," Guillen said.

Clayton Richard and Jeff Marquez will wait the wings just in case, and could make the team as middle relievers if Colon and Contreras start the season in the rotation.

One scenario that isn't a possibility is going to a six-man rotation early on, limiting the number of innings for Colon, Contreras and even Mark Buehrle.

"Right now I'm not thinking about that," Cooper said. "I'm thinking about, hey, we got Opening Day on April 6, day off the 7th and game on the 8th, and we need five guys to start from the get go. Whoever is in our bullpen, not the four guys at the end, but the other guys, they're going to be multiple-inning guys."

Copyright 2009 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.

I am thrilled and reasonably optimistic about El Titan De Bronze's speedy recovery. He was lights out last year before this injury, and I really thought his career might be done. I've always admired the roller coaster ride of Jose's career, and I would have hate to seen it go out like that. If we even get a half season from each of these guys, I think we'll be ok. Low risk, high reward and obviously we know both have done it on the big stage when s*** hits the fan as well.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Feb 27, 2009 -> 07:07 PM)
March 9th is going to be a pretty significant day this ST for the Sox.

If both Contreras and Colon hold up, that's a big plus...compared to where things were 6-8 weeks ago, when we were thinking it would be Richard/Marquez/Poreda at the back end of the rotation.

Yes. The CR/AP thing seems to have fallen by the wayside for now, and thank God for that too. Imagine having 4 lefties in a rotation with two of them being CR/AP.

This is huge news. I was operating under the assumption that neither of these guys would be ready until May/June at the earliest. The fact that both are throwing off the mount already an excellent sign. Every day that goes by with no setbacks is another day closer towards fulfilling their 4th and 5th starters that this team needs to win the Central.

A 4th and 5th starter combination of Marquez/Broadway/Egbert/Richard is a recipe for another 72 win season.