Two more Cubans may have left

Cubano

Guys,

The rumor in Santiago de Cuba is that 1B Jose Julio Ruiz is missing for a week. Jose Julio is 23-24 and he is good. If I am KW or any other GM, I go after him. He is learning how to elevate the ball to hit HR. He is a gap hitter. I was trying to find a HR he hit vs Industriales in the playoffs that went over the stadium roof.

Here is Jose Julio vs Yadel Marti in 2007. Go to the 3:57 mark on this video to see Jose Julio

Industriales RHP reliever Alexei Gil may be in the D.R. He is a 90 + MPH pitcher but he needs to work with his control. He relatively young.

QUOTE (Cubano @ Feb 28, 2009 -> 12:30 PM)
Guys,

The rumor in Santiago de Cuba is that 1B Jose Julio Ruiz is missing for a week. Jose Julio is 23-24 and he is good. If I am KW or any other GM, I go after him. He is learning how to elevate the ball to hit HR. He is a gap hitter. I was trying to find a HR he hit vs Industriales in the playoffs that went over the stadium roof.

Here is Jose Julio vs Yadel Marti in 2007. Go to the 3:57 mark on this video to see Jose Julio

Industriales RHP reliever Alexei Gil may be in the D.R. He is a 90 + MPH pitcher but he needs to work with his control. He relatively young.

Thanks for the info, Cubano, as always.

Go get 'em Kenny!!

QUOTE (Cubano @ Feb 28, 2009 -> 12:30 PM)

Just watched the video.

Good to see he's a lefty. Even if B. Allen makes it as the team's future 1B or DH, I want the other guy to be a lefty too.

QUOTE (Cubano @ Feb 28, 2009 -> 02:30 PM)
Guys,

Would you say this guy is better (projected to be) than Kendry Morales? I don't normally like players who wrap the bat head behind their head, almost right at the pitcher...because you really have to have a ton of forearm strength and bat speed (like Sheffield or Julio Franco) to get away with it.

Everyone's still waiting to hear when Marti and Arguelles will actually be able to sign...along with CF Felix Perez.

By the way Cubano, did you ever see Alexei play CF for Pinar del Rio, or was he always playing SS?

It looks like they're wearing pajamas, but I guess they have to be comfortable in the heat/humidity of Cuba...right?

Who the heck is Jose Carlos Moreno? We haven't heard much about him....just a fringe/utility type player? Age? Thoughts?

Two other Cuban defectors, shortstop Jose Carlos Moreno and center fielder Felix Perez, joined Viciedo's workout for scouts on Thursday.

Moreno and Perez haven't been cleared by the State Department to work in the U.S., so they cannot sign with major league clubs yet. Nonetheless, one of those two players has the Astros' interest.

"As a group I'm excited about them," he said. "I'd say our interest is stronger in two than the third."

Remaining the ultimate poker player not wanting to tip his hand to the competition, Heck won't say whether he's interested more in Moreno or Felix.

"We're really at the mercy of one, they're fielding offers and they're engaging the market (on Viciedo)," Heck said. "Unless they get blown out of the water, I don't think this is a fast-track situation. We've engaged in talks with Jaime Torres and tried to gauge where the market is going to go.

"The other two players are subject really if they will be unblocked. It's a timeline neither (we) nor the agent control with the players being unblocked. You're waiting for their process to be completed for being unblocked by the State Department."

Edited by caulfield12