Thoughts on Leadoff Situation???

djcollie03

I've read the board for a while but, this is my first official topic. I expect that those of you who are stat-mongers will have some insight into this but, why haven't we heard about the possibility of Alexei in the lead off role. He has great bat control and his speed is more than ample for 25-30 stolen bases. I don't know what his OBP was last year but, there was NO ONE on the Sox who saw more pitches after going down 0-2 than Ramirez - it seemed he would foul off pitch after pitch. He can tag the fast ball so pitcher beware a quick 1-0 start to a game. I guess I'm hesitant to put Owens or any of our 2nd base prospects in the position considering none of them have seen that much playing time. Thoughts?

Ozzie commented on this just the other day. He doesn't think Alexei looks or feels comfortable at the top of the order. He likes him in the middle to lower part of the lineup and said something to the effect of Alexei being a dangerous hitter with men on base. I think we can expect to see him at 6 or 7 for the majority of the season.

QUOTE (djcollie03 @ Feb 28, 2009 -> 11:55 AM)
I've read the board for a while but, this is my first official topic. I expect that those of you who are stat-mongers will have some insight into this but, why haven't we heard about the possibility of Alexei in the lead off role. He has great bat control and his speed is more than ample for 25-30 stolen bases. I don't know what his OBP was last year but, there was NO ONE on the Sox who saw more pitches after going down 0-2 than Ramirez - it seemed he would foul off pitch after pitch. He can tag the fast ball so pitcher beware a quick 1-0 start to a game. I guess I'm hesitant to put Owens or any of our 2nd base prospects in the position considering none of them have seen that much playing time. Thoughts?

Actually, I'm afraid I have to disagree with your main point here, the stats don't back you up. Unless Alexei went down 0-2 an awful lot, there's no way he can be judged as a patient hitter. He's about as aggressive of a swinger as there is in the major leagues.

His OBP last year was .317, with a batting average of .290. .350 is usually my goal for a roughly adequate OBP for a leadoff hitter. Alexei just doesn't take a walk.

Furthermore, many sites actually keep track of the # of pitches seen per plate appearance. It's a useful tool for telling whether or not you're looking at an aggressive hitter or patient hitter. Out of qualifying batters in MLB last year (3.3 at bats per game), Alexei was the 4th lowest P/PA in baseball. He's as free of a swinger as there is; the guys right in front of him in that list are AJ Pierzynski and Vlad Guerrero. That doesn't make him a bad hitter or anything, it just means his style of hitting isn't well suited to leadoff. On the other hand, I still think he'd be an excellent #2 hitter since he makes contact so often.

I'd prefer Getz there because that means Owens isn't starting. Getz may not have the speed of a leadoff hitter, but he is patient, works pitchers and can take a walk. Gimme Anderson in CF, he is a better hitter, has the best gun in the OF and is a GG-caliber fielder. I like Wise as the 4th OF, too.

Edited by maggsmaggs

Hopefully it will be a Getz-Lillibridge platoon at 2B and the leadoff spot. The lineup I am hoping to see:

1. Getz/Lillibridge, 2B

2. Ramirez, SS

3. Quentin, LF

4. Dye, RF

5. Thome, DH

6. Konerko, 1B

7. Pierzynski, C

8. Fields or Viciedo, 3B

9. Anderson/Kroeger, CF

What I think we will see:

1. Owens, CF

2. Pierzynski, C

3. Quentin, LF

4. Dye, RF

5. Thome, DH

6. Konerko, 1B

7. Ramirez, SS

8. Fields or Viciedo, 3B

9. Getz/Lillibridge, 2B

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Feb 28, 2009 -> 02:36 PM)
Actually, I'm afraid I have to disagree with your main point here, the stats don't back you up. Unless Alexei went down 0-2 an awful lot, there's no way he can be judged as a patient hitter. He's about as aggressive of a swinger as there is in the major leagues.

His OBP last year was .317, with a batting average of .290. .350 is usually my goal for a roughly adequate OBP for a leadoff hitter. Alexei just doesn't take a walk.

Furthermore, many sites actually keep track of the # of pitches seen per plate appearance. It's a useful tool for telling whether or not you're looking at an aggressive hitter or patient hitter. Out of qualifying batters in MLB last year (3.3 at bats per game), Alexei was the 4th lowest P/PA in baseball. He's as free of a swinger as there is; the guys right in front of him in that list are AJ Pierzynski and Vlad Guerrero. That doesn't make him a bad hitter or anything, it just means his style of hitting isn't well suited to leadoff. On the other hand, I still think he'd be an excellent #2 hitter since he makes contact so often.

I kinda disagree with your take on Alexi. It seemed watching him, he had no problem taking a ball. Just when Alexi swung at a pitch, he put the ball in play moreso than most hitters. I do want him at the bottom of the order though.

I wouldn't mind Ramirez in the 2 hole, getting a steady diet of fastballs, especially if Owens is actually leading off.

I would rather see Getz/Lillibridge/Anderson at the bottom of the order, if possible. With that said, he'll probably be 6th or 7th most nights. I just don't want AJ back there again...he did the best job he could, but he just doesn't move well enough on the basepaths to be a 2 hitter.

I think in the long run, we might see Beckham at the top of the order, 1st, 2nd or 3rd.

QUOTE (SoxFan101 @ Mar 1, 2009 -> 01:37 AM)
I kinda disagree with your take on Alexi. It seemed watching him, he had no problem taking a ball. Just when Alexi swung at a pitch, he put the ball in play moreso than most hitters. I do want him at the bottom of the order though.

Your perception is off. Last year only 1 player in baseball w/ 500+ PA swung at a higher percentage of pitches outside the strikezone than Alexei Ramirez, you guessed it, Vlad Guerrero. Meaning he was the second worst hitter in the game at laying off pitches out of the zone. So last year Alexei swung at 42.8% of pitches out of the zone but only made contact on 81.4% of all pitches he swung at. An average contact% is about 80% so Alexei is slightly above league average.

Last year Alexei was awful at taking balls.

It's crazy, Alexei swung at 60% of all pitches seen last season, good for 2nd highest % in the game (guess who's #1) while at the other end of the spectrum Nick Swisher only swung at 38.5% good for 5th lowest in baseball. Only Jack Cust, Chone Figgins, Joe Mauer and Bobby Abreu swung at a lower percentage of pitches than Swish.

QUOTE (Kalapse @ Mar 1, 2009 -> 02:40 AM)
Your perception is off. Last year only 1 player in baseball w/ 500+ PA swung at a higher percentage of pitches outside the strikezone than Alexei Ramirez, you guessed it, Vlad Guerrero. Meaning he was the second worst hitter in the game at laying off pitches out of the zone. So last year Alexei swung at 42.8% of pitches out of the zone but only made contact on 81.4% of all pitches he swung at. An average contact% is about 80% so Alexei is slightly above league average.

Last year Alexei was awful at taking balls.

It's crazy, Alexei swung at 60% of all pitches seen last season, good for 2nd highest % in the game (guess who's #1) while at the other end of the spectrum Nick Swisher only swung at 38.5% good for 5th lowest in baseball. Only Jack Cust, Chone Figgins, Joe Mauer and Bobby Abreu swung at a lower percentage of pitches than Swish.

To say that Ramirez can't lay off pitches is pretty ridiculous. It's not that he can't lay off any pitches, it's that he wants to hit. It's obvious his approach at bat is see ball, hit ball. He's not going up there like Swisher to stand there with his bat on his shoulder, hoping the umpire calls 4 balls before he calls 3 strikes.

If Alexei, or any other player who has a similar approach, sees a pitch they can hit, they aren't gonna let it go because it might be a bit outside of the strike zone.

QUOTE (BearSox @ Mar 1, 2009 -> 08:52 AM)
To say that Ramirez can't lay off pitches is pretty ridiculous. It's not that he can't lay off any pitches, it's that he wants to hit. It's obvious his approach at bat is see ball, hit ball. He's not going up there like Swisher to stand there with his bat on his shoulder, hoping the umpire calls 4 balls before he calls 3 strikes.

If Alexei, or any other player who has a similar approach, sees a pitch they can hit, they aren't gonna let it go because it might be a bit outside of the strike zone.

True, but there were many times last year where Alexei would chase something chin-high. I've seen him hit that stuff, but if he learns to lay off that crap he'll become a much more dangerous hitter and have a much longer career, because once he starts to lose some bat speed he's not going to connect with a lot of the stuff he's swinging at. I doubt it happens though, so thankfully we've got him in his prime.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Mar 1, 2009 -> 07:37 AM)
http://www.suntimes.com/sports/baseball/wh...T-sox01.article

Pretty decent, in-depth Cowley article on Lillibridge and his struggles from last season and perceived role coming into ST.

Cowley's in-depth article forgot to mention he was drafted by the Pirates, not the Braves. He went to ATL in the Gonzalez-LaRoche deal.

Kudos to Cowley however for not being his typical asshole self in this piece.