Royals sign Juan Cruz

LittleHurt05

QUOTE (Thunderbolt @ Feb 28, 2009 -> 06:36 PM)
Good move for the Royals. Wow, haven't said that in a long time.

One of these years, the Royals are going to be pretty good. Maybe not Tampa good, but capable of winning 90 games or so. I still wonder if its possible they will be able to sustain it for any length of time.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Feb 28, 2009 -> 08:39 PM)
One of these years, the Royals are going to be pretty good. Maybe not Tampa good, but capable of winning 90 games or so. I still wonder if its possible they will be able to sustain it for any length of time.

you conviced me. The mortgage is going on KC this year. Good byeeee recession!

QUOTE (Kenny Hates Prospects @ Mar 1, 2009 -> 10:15 AM)
Finally an addition Royals fans can view as more than a lateral move at best.

Sucks we couldn't get in on that. He'd be a great replacement for Dotel after he walks.

And this whole dream everyone had of offering Dotel arbitration next year, I think you can pretty much forget about that happening. I think we will just let him go, like we did with Riske.

As far as the Royals go, they have the pieces now, if Eric Hosmer, Moustakas and Hochevar are as good as billed. Of course, we don't even know yet if Alex Gordon will be the next Mark Teahen or Mike Schmidt. Early returns are at best mixed...this is a huge season for both Gordon and Billy Butler.

The reason I'm not SO worried is that the Royals still have the likes of Miguel Olivo and Jose Guillen in that clubhouse. They don't know where to play Teahen, or to trade him. Jacobs doesn't scare me that much, although he's definitely an upgrade over Shealy and Gload. Aviles has to show he can repeat last year's success in his sophomore campaign. Until they really solidify both SS and 2B, then there will huge question marks about this team. I'm sure their SS OPS offensive contribution with Pena, Jr., was around the worst in baseball. Aviles is better suited for 2B.

The Royals, since the end of the Mike Sweeney era, have been searching for an identity and leadership. It's going to have to come from Trey Hillman IMO...if it's Guillen, that bodes poorly. Ideally, it would be some combination of Greinke/Gordon, the two young budding starts of the team, along with Gil Meche's veteran presence.