Long overdue article from P. Rogers on our young hitters

caulfield12

http://www.chicagotribune.com/sports/baseb...0,594677.column

With all the attention on these four guys, it's quite easy to overlook Fields, Lillibridge, Getz, Shelby and Jordan Danks. Nice problem to have...too many young sluggers to fit into one article.

It's kind of becoming the inverse of the 1999-2000 rise of all the stud (alleged) pitchers, when we really only had Crede and Rowand on the horizon at that time. This current crop of youngsters is overloaded on the hitting side instead. Hopefully they will pan out much better than that group of young pitchers.

Thanks for pointing this out.

this line:

"Walker suggests that Beckham gets his long-ball potential because he has "horizontal power"—that is, the ability to use his body's joints and ligaments to transfer energy in a line projecting in front of him."

Sports writers too often rely on some really stupid stuff coaches say instead of creating their own words. This doesn't really explain s***, it just sounds like someone trying to be smart.

QUOTE (Thunderbolt @ Mar 1, 2009 -> 11:38 AM)
John Shelby really is the odd-man out in all of this, isn't he? Poor guy, he has great tools and hopefully, he can make something of himself to get the utilty job two years down the line.

It's very possible that John Shelby will find a place on the team. If I'm not forgetting anyone, here's how the team might look 2 years down the line:

c: flowers or AJ

1b: Viciedo

2b: Beckham

SS: Alexei

3B: Fields

rf: Quentin

cf: jordan Danks

lf: Shelby

DH: Konerko or Dye

That's the type of team I hope to see 2 years from now, and most importantly I hope Brian Anderson is nowhere near this team in 2 years from now.

QUOTE (SouthsideDon48 @ Mar 1, 2009 -> 01:08 PM)
It's very possible that John Shelby will find a place on the team. If I'm not forgetting anyone, here's how the team might look 2 years down the line:

c: flowers or AJ

1b: Viciedo

2b: Beckham

SS: Alexei

3B: Fields

rf: Quentin

cf: jordan Danks

lf: Shelby

DH: Konerko or Dye

That's the type of team I hope to see 2 years from now, and most importantly I hope Brian Anderson is nowhere near this team in 2 years from now.

So you're not going to fit Brandon Allen in there at 1B or DH?

Do you really think either Dye OR Konerko will be here in two years? I guess it's possible, but not very likely, unless the "recession" becomes a fullblown depression and the economy of baseball worsens even more.

QUOTE (bmags @ Mar 1, 2009 -> 12:28 PM)
Thanks for pointing this out.

this line:

"Walker suggests that Beckham gets his long-ball potential because he has "horizontal power"—that is, the ability to use his body's joints and ligaments to transfer energy in a line projecting in front of him."

hence the nickname "Slayer" :D

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Mar 1, 2009 -> 12:17 PM)

Do you really think either Dye OR Konerko will be here in two years? I guess it's possible, but not very likely, unless the "recession" becomes a fullblown depression and the economy of baseball worsens even more.

I bet at least one of them is still around (14?). How many other teams will be spending money on 34 year old DH's even if the market doesn't improve? I'll bet Konerko winds up resigned as a DH if his performance keeps up the next 2 years.

QUOTE (bmags @ Mar 1, 2009 -> 12:28 PM)

This seems rather dirty when taken into context with what the nickname Slayer actually means

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Mar 1, 2009 -> 02:17 PM)

Oops!!! I completely forgot about Brandon Allen. Thanks for catching that, dude. Add him to that list, too.

Viciedo, Beckham, Allen, Shelby, and Jordan Danks are the Sox prospects that excite me the most. I have high hopes for all of them. :)

I still don't really have an opinion on Flowers yet, really.

I also can't help but think that Lillibridge will become an underachiever like Brian Anderson and Jerry Owens are.

QUOTE (SouthsideDon48 @ Mar 1, 2009 -> 06:04 PM)
Oops!!! I completely forgot about Brandon Allen. Thanks for catching that, dude. Add him to that list, too.

Viciedo, Beckham, Allen, Shelby, and Jordan Danks are the Sox prospects that excite me the most. I have high hopes for all of them. :)

I still don't really have an opinion on Flowers yet, really.

I also can't help but think that Lillibridge will become an underachiever like Brian Anderson and Jerry Owens are.

I dont think Lillibridge will be a disappointment for the simple fact im not sure people are expecting big things from him. If he turns out to be a good player, then great. If not, we have a pretty potent infield assuming the guys mentioned above pan out.