Perilous Passage

Texsox

QUOTE (Texsox @ Mar 2, 2009 -> 01:20 PM)
My point is, they are not carrying that much stuff. They are flying it in via private planes, hidden in legitimate cargo, trucks, etc. It is not being carried, forty pounds at a time, via human power.

Soooooo, because it might only be 10 pounds per person, we should look the other way and ignore it? And 10 pounds of meth can do a hell of a lot of damage.

QUOTE (Texsox @ Mar 2, 2009 -> 01:20 PM)
Guest worker program.

I want to see the low cost part of the guest worker formula that makes them attractive today when they are gettng minimum wage and taxes are being accounted for and paid. And does the line for the guest worker program only work for Mexicans, or can others apply. My guess is that a guest worker program will have a limit, and that other people would like to get a permit as well.

Edited by southsideirish71

QUOTE (southsideirish71 @ Mar 2, 2009 -> 04:01 PM)
I want to see the low cost part of the guest worker formula that makes them attractive today when they are gettng minimum wage and taxes are being accounted for and paid. And does the line for the guest worker program only work for Mexicans, or can others apply. My guess is that a guest worker program will have a limit, and that other people would like to get a permit as well.

The guest worker program, in my mind, would be open to anyone. However, I really do not see many other immigrants having a chance. Mexico is unique in that immigrants can walk here. There is a very low monetary cost in leaving home and walking hundreds of miles to get that minimum wage job. I am certain that some countries and companies would have a unique opportunity, but overall it will be Mexicans as it has for 100 years.

A guest worker program should result in fewer benefits than what a citizen would receive.

Right now the problem keeps growing because minimum wage employees are expensive for the government. We have offered so many programs for the working poor, that it becomes cost prohibited for the government to actually pay everyone who is eligible. So illegals who are too scared to apply for those benefits, or unable to meet the requirements, actually save the US money over a citizen who would apply for, and receive, those benefits.

The amount of income tax collected for someone working minimum wage is far below what the person receives in benefits.

QUOTE (Alpha Dog @ Mar 2, 2009 -> 03:46 PM)
Soooooo, because it might only be 10 pounds per person, we should look the other way and ignore it? And 10 pounds of meth can do a hell of a lot of damage.

Because it may be one in ten thousand persons, we should not focus on that.

Why not focus on the user of those ten pounds of meth?

QUOTE (Alpha Dog @ Mar 2, 2009 -> 04:50 PM)
Why not both?

Because we do not have the resources to use drug agents to try and stop illegals. They would be majoring in the minors and minoring in the majors. Two different methods, two different problems, two different sets of resources.