Sox/Jays talking OC sign and trade

DaTank

OC SIGNS WITH OAK

Travis Snider for OC straight up would be nice. We could trade Dye for young pitching, move Quentin to RF, and put Snider in LF. I can't see the Jays be willing to give up Snider though.

Brett Cecil + a lower level prospect (s) or David Cooper and some lower level prospects.

What do you guys think would be a fair enough return for OC?

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Forget that, make them sign him. They aren't going to part with a prospect worth anything. Why do we need to do Cabrera any favors? Let Toronto or Oakland give him a contract, take the pick and draft smart.

QUOTE (R.J. @ Mar 1, 2009 -> 08:25 PM)
Forget that, make them sign him. They aren't going to part with a prospect worth anything. Why do we need to do Cabrera any favors? Let Toronto or Oakland give him a contract, take the pick and draft smart.

because then you risk nobody signing him until the draft pick compensation is over.

QUOTE (jenks45monster @ Mar 1, 2009 -> 07:53 PM)
Travis Snider for OC straight up would be nice. We could trade Dye for young pitching, move Quentin to RF, and put Snider in LF. I can't see the Jays be willing to give up Snider though.

Brett Cecil + a lower level prospect (s) or David Cooper and some lower level prospects.

What do you guys think would be a fair enough return for OC?

Cooper cannot be traded yet.

If the Jays are truly trying to lower payroll they may try to part with an injured Vernon Wells and his massive contract. There is however a NTC that would need to be passed up by Wells. There's no way the Sox would take all of his contract though.

Why would the Blue Jays trade their top pitching or batting prospect for a guy whom they could sign while only giving a #20 pick in a pretty weak draft year? If we do a sign and trade we'd be lucky to get a guy like Downs not any of their higher talent.

Edited by Thunderbolt

QUOTE (Jenksy Cat @ Mar 1, 2009 -> 08:38 PM)
because then you risk nobody signing him until the draft pick compensation is over.

There isn't any precedent to say that just because the draft has passed the white sox forfeit any drafts picks that may come their way from a team signing OC as a type A. From what I've read, MLB never envision this scenario, but everyone assumes the team would lose the compensation picks. Could go to legal action?!

Edited by Stocking

QUOTE (SouthsideDon48 @ Mar 1, 2009 -> 10:47 PM)
It seems like if the Sox were to do a Cabrera sign-n-trade with the Jays that we'd probably get a package of A and AA prospects. Similar to what we got in the Vazquez deal.

J.P. Arencibia + another lower level guy (Justin Jackson?) wouldn't be bad, IMO. You can never have enough good catching prospects in your system. There are questions with Arencibia about whether he'll stick at catcher or not, as there are with Flowers, so you could potentially be looking at one of Arencibia or Flowers behind the plate and the other at 1B, with Allen at DH. Doesn't sound too bad to me.

We're not going to get anything as useful as whoever's out there at number 20. If Oakland comes to us with a sign and trade I'd be more interested. I think Cabrera is just going to have to accept that he isn't worth what he's asking and sign an incentive laden deal for a year.

My sister's bf is a big white sox fan and also interned at the radio station that Ozzie Guillen Jr does a radio show at in spanish and he says has heard ( I assume off the air) Ozzie Guillen Jr talking about stuff that Ozzie told him about Cabrera. Basically I guess he called him the biggest, most selfish tool to ever put on a White sox uniform in both his playing and managing days. Bigger then Thomas, Belle...supposedly when KW offered Cabrera arbitration ozzie told him if he accepts it and stayed here (which it looks like now he should've) he was prepared to use 24 men and charge his ass rent for it to stay on the bench all year... Don't know if it;'s true but certainly sounds like ozzie

loved this quote from mlbtraderumors.com

Well, Josh Fields for Scott Rolen and Brandon League would make sense for the White Sox, if they ate $6-8 million of Rolen's contract and/or the signing bonus, but it would block Viciedo for two seasons at the position where he has maximal value.

Otherwise, it's not hard to imagine the logic of spending $5 million per season on someone like Abreu for LF/DH/1B. In other words, which would have the higher payoff statistically, Bob Abreu for the 2009/10 seasons for $10 million or Dayan Viciedo for 4 years at $10 million???

In all fairness to KW, that contract now seems a little like an anomaly, but it's still nothing compared to the money teams like the Yankees, Cubs and Braves have outlaid on multiple players over the long-term...or that crazy Raul Ibanez one in Philly.

Put together a package for Vernon Wells.

KW should be fired it he did something like that. Wells is probably the one player I think is move overrated than Michael Young and his contract is actually worse.

Isn't Wells out a month right now anyways?

2009: $10 million, 2010: $21 million, 2011: $23 million (can opt out after season), 2012: $21 million, 2013: $21 million, 2014: $21 million, 2015: Free Agent

For a career line of .283/.332/.496/.812 with questionable health. This would be worse than signing Hunter or equvialent to the Cubs' signing of Alfonso Soriano.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Mar 2, 2009 -> 06:47 AM)
The popular rumor right now is Rolen, future closer Brandon League + cash subsidy for Rolen's contract FOR Fields and another prospect.

So how the heck does that make sense for the Sox? Viciedo gets blocked. The Sox add payroll. What the heck happens with Cabrera?

I don't buy this stuff for a second.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Mar 2, 2009 -> 07:04 AM)
So how the heck does that make sense for the Sox? Viciedo gets blocked. The Sox add payroll. What the heck happens with Cabrera?

I don't buy this stuff for a second.

I cant even find that rumor anywhere. The mlbtraderumors site lists Rolen and Overbay as two contracts they would like to move, but they arent connected to the Sox in any OC trade

QUOTE (santo=dorf @ Mar 2, 2009 -> 05:12 AM)
KW should be fired it he did something like that. Wells is probably the one player I think is move overrated than Michael Young and his contract is actually worse.

Isn't Wells out a month right now anyways?

2009: $10 million, 2010: $21 million, 2011: $23 million (can opt out after season), 2012: $21 million, 2013: $21 million, 2014: $21 million, 2015: Free Agent

For a career line of .283/.332/.496/.812 with questionable health. This would be worse than signing Hunter or equvialent to the Cubs' signing of Alfonso Soriano.

In this day and age, that contract is untouchable unless the Jays coughed up at least 50 million dollars.