Parking @ Sox Spring Training

rowand's rowdies

I went to the game today, lot of fun, beautiful facility.

Anway, just wanted to warn everyone about something that happened. If you are going to the game, DO NOT PARK on the dirt lot next to the CVS. There are no signs, but it is in walking distance of the park around 107th and Camelback. When I arrived, there were about 50 cars parked already. No signs were there, no cops, nothing. I figured it was free parking, something some spring training sites have and a Glendale thing with the Cardinals and Coyotes. When I got back to my car, every car (over 100 now) had a ticket for $135. This is flat out robbery by the Phoenix Police. I asked a cop on my way out, and he just said "you shouldn't have parked in a open field. We dont need to put up signs in every open lot." Well, you do when it's right across the street, a huge open area, and on the 1st day of a new park. I emailed the facility about this, and hopefully something happens, but just wanted to throw a warning out there.

QUOTE (rowand's rowdies @ Mar 1, 2009 -> 11:01 PM)
I went to the game today, lot of fun, beautiful facility.

Anway, just wanted to warn everyone about something that happened. If you are going to the game, DO NOT PARK on the dirt lot next to the CVS. There are no signs, but it is in walking distance of the park around 107th and Camelback. When I arrived, there were about 50 cars parked already. No signs were there, no cops, nothing. I figured it was free parking, something some spring training sites have and a Glendale thing with the Cardinals and Coyotes. When I got back to my car, every car (over 100 now) had a ticket for $135. This is flat out robbery by the Phoenix Police. I asked a cop on my way out, and he just said "you shouldn't have parked in a open field. We dont need to put up signs in every open lot." Well, you do when it's right across the street, a huge open area, and on the 1st day of a new park. I emailed the facility about this, and hopefully something happens, but just wanted to throw a warning out there.

Dude, that totally sucks. God I hate cops.

I hate to side with the assholes here, but, I tend to agree with the cops. Just because there is some open field near the park, that doesn't mean it can become your parking lot. That is someone's private (or public) property, and they probably were none too pleased when there were suddenly a hundred cars parked on it.

Ideally, I suppose if they cops knew about it while it was happening, they should have tried to stop people. But if everyone was already there, really, nothing else can be done.

Parking in an unmarked field and getting a ticket shouldn't be shocking. Unless there is something there that says you can park there, I don't know why you would assume it isn't private property. If you're driving around USCF and see a driveway wide open you wouldn't park your car there.

QUOTE (mreye @ Mar 2, 2009 -> 10:50 AM)
It has to be public property, doesn't it? Can you get a ticket for parking on private property?

Yes, actually, you can. If the private property owner calls the police and wants something done about it. The cars could also be towed at the vehicle owner's expense.

Well, a lot of support from my fellow Sox fans. Just like the support the Sox got at the park yesterday (outnumbered 10-1) and Saturday (at least 10-1). At least I was there supporting the team 10 rows behind the Sox bench.

Anyway, this doesn't relate to US Cellular at all. This is glendale, AZ, not Chicago. Glendale is mostly open land. When going to my first game in a new area, I look for places further away to park to get out easily. When I saw 50 cars parked in a wide open dirt field (which out here are the parking lots), I figured it was fine. This was the grand opening of the field, not a place I've been to ten times.

Either way it doesn't matter, just trying to warn all of you so you don't get robbed. And sure, maybe I should have been given a ticket. Does $135 at this time in our economy seem like a fair penalty? A $26 ticket would have been more appropriate.

Edited by rowand's rowdies

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Mar 2, 2009 -> 11:02 AM)
Yes, actually, you can. If the private property owner calls the police and wants something done about it. The cars could also be towed at the vehicle owner's expense.

Towed, I realize. Even responsible for damages, but ticketed?

I agree it's not too bright to park in an empty lot, but this sounds like it was bait and even more so if it was owned by the city.

I saw a blip on TV last night (I think it was CNN) suggesting that the entire state of Arizona has become a giant speed trap.

Sounds like the city of Phoenix and state of Arizona are looking for ways to generate more revenue.

QUOTE (mreye @ Mar 2, 2009 -> 11:28 AM)
Towed, I realize. Even responsible for damages, but ticketed?

I agree it's not too bright to park in an empty lot, but this sounds like it was bait and even more so if it was owned by the city.

For example... private businesses have restricted parking lots. This could be retail business, or a school, or whatever. You can be ticketed and towed from those lots at the discretion of the property owner. I happen to know this first hand.

And I don't think I'd call it bait - I doubt the city put an empty lot there to attract parkers. If they even own the lot.

I'm not saying it is a nice thing to do or anything. I can also understand where, if you already see everyone else parking there, it might be easy to assume it must be OK. I'm just saying that, legally, you can't just park your car in an empty lot because its there, and there are some good reasons why that is the case.

QUOTE (rowand's rowdies @ Mar 2, 2009 -> 09:25 AM)
Either way it doesn't matter, just trying to warn all of you so you don't get robbed. .

yes, this is the point - not opinions on civic parking fines. And a big thank you on the heads up, i'm heading over there soon.

Question: how bad is the traffic on Camelback? I heard that they were expecting big delays? is it easy to get in and out of the stadium?

thanks ginger.

the traffic on camelback was backed up for a mile or so, not too bad, but still why I veered off into the "parking lot" when I saw it. It was indeed a trap. For all the police in the area to make sure traffic was ok, none were right across the street at this lot when it was filling up.

The lot to watch out for is next the the CVS, kitty corner from the ballpark. It's a huge open lot, probably 5 acres wide. I asked a cop (Phoenix, which is who gave me the ticket) about it and he said with a smirk that they can't put no parking signs on every open lot. Well, how about the one right across from a brand new stadium where there will be out of town visitors? Oh wait, no revenue from huge parking tickets.

It is becoming a joke here. I live in Tempe (South east valley) and my 25 mile drive to glendale (north west valley) included at least 10 speed cameras. They are desperate for money, and as far as I'm concerned, they are finding ways to legally rob it's citizens.

I kind of figured it was going to be that way. I plan on going the back door route...probably get off at Glendale Ave and swing out to El Mirage Blvd and circle cut back onto Camelback. For people coming from the east I'd get off at Indian School and cut up on 107th Ave. I try to avoid Camelback Road like the plague (no matter what side of town).

As for the speed cameras...they give you a 9-10 MPH buffer (which seems reasonable to me). But you have to watch where they keep changing the speed limit signs from 65 to 55. Anymore I just drive around 63-64 if I don't know what the limit is.

btw...here's a quick little link for some entertainment for those coming out:

http://phoenix.metromix.com/bars-and-clubs

Edited by Wanne

QUOTE (rowand's rowdies @ Mar 2, 2009 -> 10:59 AM)
thanks ginger.

the traffic on camelback was backed up for a mile or so, not too bad, but still why I veered off into the "parking lot" when I saw it. It was indeed a trap. For all the police in the area to make sure traffic was ok, none were right across the street at this lot when it was filling up.

The lot to watch out for is next the the CVS, kitty corner from the ballpark. It's a huge open lot, probably 5 acres wide. I asked a cop (Phoenix, which is who gave me the ticket) about it and he said with a smirk that they can't put no parking signs on every open lot. Well, how about the one right across from a brand new stadium where there will be out of town visitors? Oh wait, no revenue from huge parking tickets.

It is becoming a joke here. I live in Tempe (South east valley) and my 25 mile drive to glendale (north west valley) included at least 10 speed cameras. They are desperate for money, and as far as I'm concerned, they are finding ways to legally rob it's citizens.

The "great" part about those speed cameras is that they give you a warning 300 ft before the camera comes up.

I thought your warning about the parking at the new stadium would be that the Sox lot (which was $5) is approximately a mile from the stadium. To get to the stadium, you walk past all of the practice fields. It's quite a hike. Really nice stadium, though.