Was the 2008 NBA Draft rigged to favor Chicago?

Was the 2008 NBA Draft rigged to favor Chicago?  

51 members have voted

1. 1. Was the 2008 NBA Draft rigged to favor Chicago?

• Yes
    • No
    • Not sure

Personally, I would never think it. I do see discussion about it amongst skeptical fan bases. I'm a Bulls fan residing in the tri-state area on the East Coast. I deal with 76er,Wizards,Nets and of course Knick fans. A decent % bring this up when I mention I am a Bulls fan. I always just ignore and laugh it off. I come to the conclusion that they are blinded by their bitterness or they truthfully believe this.

So what do you think?

Cases I heard for it..

David Stern's shady history aka David Stern's history hiring referees

Big Market in need of a Superstar after the failures of J.Rose,Jwilliams,Curry/Chandler twin towers, Luol and BG "Great Britians Finest", the ben wallace expiriment, 2007 Kobe to the Bulls Saga.

Cases against it....

Were they trying to hook up BIG MARKET Milwaukee with # 1 Bogut in 2005 too?

So many people would have to be involved without any leaks. One leak to the media and it's over for the NBA. Is it really worth that risk?

Either way,It benefited the Bulls in the end, so I'm happy. :)

QUOTE (DBAHO @ Mar 3, 2009 -> 12:35 PM)
I think this'll be better to ask if the Oklahoma City Thunder end up with the #1 choice so that they can draft Blake Griffin.

That would not surprise me at all since Stern and the Douchebag have been in cahoots with each other ever since he bought the Sonics. Stern will do everything in his power to justify that move so rigging it so the team that shall remain nameless receives the number 1 pick to go along with KD/Westbrook/Green would be right up his alley.

I'm a Bulls fan and I think it was. Same way like when the Cavs got LeBron. LeBron=high school phenom, has played in Ohio his whole career at every level, Cavs in danger of losing team, Cavs win lottery.

And you explained the Bulls one. Big market, need an exciting player, lost out on Gasol/KG/Kobe, and he's from Chicago.

It's no big deal though. Thank you David.

QUOTE (Athomeboy_2000 @ Mar 4, 2009 -> 02:07 PM)
It's practically impossible to rig the draft lottery. It's a combination of balls that are randomly selected and there are several impartial observers.

Shushhh... stop letting facts get in the way of people's wild thoughts and accusations.

There is no doubt in my mind it was rigged, and this is not the first time they've rigged the draft lottery either. The entire origination of the draft lottery was so that the league could fix the thing and send Patrick Ewing to New York. Even now, there is a reason the ping pong ball drawing is done in private. The only way the NBA would ever convince me they don't fix the lottery is if they did the ping pong drawing on television for everybody to see, and even that wouldn't change the fact that the NBA has picked and choosed spots to fix the thing for the last quarter century. I am amazed that "no" is winning this poll right now, but considering this is a board full of Bulls fans, maybe I shouldn't be.

Edited by whitesoxfan101

QUOTE (Athomeboy_2000 @ Mar 4, 2009 -> 08:07 AM)
It's practically impossible to rig the draft lottery. It's a combination of balls that are randomly selected and there are several impartial observers.

The 1980 Pennsylvania lottery scandal says differently. It is much easier than you could imagine.

QUOTE (qwerty @ Mar 5, 2009 -> 12:10 PM)
The 1980 Pennsylvania lottery scandal says differently. It is much easier than you could imagine.

Shushhh... stop letting facts get in the way of people's wild thoughts and accusations.

well, whatever, we f***in deserved for all those years we were far and away the worst, most untalented team in the league and continued to lose the top pick. Then, the one year we do marginally good, is the year we lose out on james, melo and wade. SO yeah, I think we f***in deserved rose.

QUOTE (bmags @ Mar 5, 2009 -> 05:15 PM)
well, whatever, we f***in deserved for all those years we were far and away the worst, most untalented team in the league and continued to lose the top pick. Then, the one year we do marginally good, is the year we lose out on james, melo and wade. SO yeah, I think we f***in deserved rose.

We had the top pick when krause drafted Brand, FWIW.

QUOTE (danman31 @ Mar 4, 2009 -> 01:26 AM)
The Bogut argument doesn't fly, everyone knew that draft class wasn't good.

D-Will and CP3 are pretty damn good so it's turned out better than a lot of drafts. But yes, at the time, no one in that draft (including Bogut) looked as much like a "franchise player" coming out as Rose, LeBron, Ewing etc.

• 3 weeks later...