David Cook

NorthSideSox72

I don't know if he was a free agent but if he was then he was re re-signed to a minor league deal. I don't think he was a minor league free agent, just eligible for the Rule V draft. He's in minor league camp, he was not invited to major league spring training. I think it's fairly obvious that some on this board have grossly overstated his worth. He wasn't placed on the 40 man roster to protect him from the Rule V draft, he wasn't selected in the Rule V draft and even with a huge hole in CF he couldn't even get an invite to spring training.

QUOTE (Kalapse @ Mar 3, 2009 -> 03:58 PM)
I don't know if he was a free agent but if he was then he was re re-signed to a minor league deal. I don't think he was a minor league free agent, just eligible for the Rule V draft. He's in minor league camp, he was not invited to major league spring training. I think it's fairly obvious that some on this board have grossly overstated his worth. He wasn't placed on the 40 man roster to protect him from the Rule V draft, he wasn't selected in the Rule V draft and even with a huge hole in CF he couldn't even get an invite to spring training.

Watch him play, then try to say he's overrated. He's got major league power, and he is a great situational hitter. Sounds like to me he could make a very good 4th outfielder/pinch hitter.

Edited by JPN366

Well, I have only seen a few video clips of him. But I've seen the stats he's put up, and I've seen multiple people who watched him play, rave about him. I personally think that he's simply seen as too old. But to me, he profiles like a late bloomer, and I have a strong feeling he could succeed at the major league level.

I'm glad he is still with the club. If he puts up numbers this year in Charlotte like he did in AA and A+ in recent years, I think he should be slotted for a shot if someone like Anderson, Owens and/or Wise flops or gets hurt.

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Mar 3, 2009 -> 04:08 PM)
Well, I have only seen a few video clips of him. But I've seen the stats he's put up, and I've seen multiple people who watched him play, rave about him. I personally think that he's simply seen as too old. But to me, he profiles like a late bloomer, and I have a strong feeling he could succeed at the major league level.

I'm glad he is still with the club. If he puts up numbers this year in Charlotte like he did in AA and A+ in recent years, I think he should be slotted for a shot if someone like Anderson, Owens and/or Wise flops or gets hurt.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

What he said.

Simply, when you're seen as organizational "filler," it just takes an overwhelming statistical season and the right combination of injuries (Owens wasn't ready last year, so Wise was the only logical choice, and Buddy Bell was really high on him, which helped) and lack of depth for a player like Cook to get a chance. It's the same reason you didn't see Eldred take Konerko's spot in the line-up last season. Or it may be that he has the ability at AAA/AAAA but he just doesn't "project" as a major leaguer...of course, they said the same thing about Alexei Ramirez when we signed him and look what he did when given an opportunity.

Someone mentioned he was "old/er" for a prospect, just like we've been saying about Jerry Owens from the beginning. He really has to get an opportunity and then "force" his way onto the roster like Aviles in KC or with Swisher falling out of favor last year and Ozzie going with the hottest hand in D. Wise.

Low round draft choices like Buehrle or players like Cook will always be doubted...until they come up to the 25 man roster and perform and they just keep performing and everyone (scouts/GM's) realize the guy is a player. But there will always be that lingering doubt about players drafted outside the first 3-5 rounds or so...which is the main reason we held on to Anderson and Fields and have brought in so many former #1 draft picks (Marquez, Aardsma, Sisco, Thornton, Danks, Floyd, Carlos Quentin) or top prospects from other organizations.

Edited by caulfield12