MLB the Show '09 PS3

Soxpranos

Game is pretty awesome, but have to say the Sox are not that good again in this game. Fields sucks ass on defense and after Floyd and Danks the pitching blows. Dye and Quentin are about it on offense, they screwed Ramirez once again. Looking forward to the 1st roster update.

There already has been an update, go into Sports Connect and download the online roster.

Contreras is in AAA and Broadway, Russell and Wassermann are in the MLB bullpen which makes the major league team much worse. Move Contreras, Carrasco and MacDougal to the big league roster and the Sox go from 21st to 16th. Which seems fair.

With the update the Sox are the 6th best offense in the game, 11th best pitching and 20th best fielding. If anything they're a little high defensively, the rest seems about right.

Alexei, Quentin, Thome, Dye and Konerko are all very good offensively.

Buehrle is the best starter followed closely by Danks. Floyd and Contreras are about equal (Floyd is slightly better). All 4 are good.

QUOTE (SouthsideDon48 @ Mar 4, 2009 -> 07:31 PM)
How did they screw Alexei?

What's the default Sox rotation?

Buehrle

Floyd

Danks

Colon

Richard

Broadway

Wassermann

Russell

Thornton

Dotel

Linebrink

Jenks

change it to

Buehrle

Floyd

Danks

Contreras

Colon

Richard

Carrasco

Thornton

MacDougal

Dotel

Linebrink

Jenks

and the team greatly improves

QUOTE (Kalapse @ Mar 4, 2009 -> 08:37 PM)
There already has been an update, go into Sports Connect and download the online roster.

Contreras is in AAA and Broadway, Russell and Wassermann are in the MLB bullpen which makes the major league team much worse. Move Contreras, Carrasco and MacDougal to the big league roster and the Sox go from 21st to 16th. Which seems fair.

Thanks did the update, but If I change the roster can I still use it on SC play?

QUOTE (Soxpranos @ Mar 4, 2009 -> 09:45 PM)
Thanks did the update, but If I change the roster can I still use it on SC play?

No, I don't think so. They haven't released a full update yet just a small one fixing some major problems in the original rosters, the Sox will be much better once the season starts and they make a more comprehensive updated roster available.

Now that I think about it, I believe you can use your own roster if you wish. I'll have to look into it but if you make your roster available for download in the roster vault and the other player downloads and uses the same roster you should be good. I've yet to play online so I'm not positive of the specifics, I've mainly been playing exhibition games and fixing the rosters manually.

QUOTE (kev211 @ Mar 4, 2009 -> 07:54 PM)
Sorry for you if you believe that. It's really not even close.

I rather deal with fun pitching than hitting. All baseball games before last year made pitching a breeze. I love the pitching for MLB2k9. And they lessoned the effect of a meatball, so it's not always a HR. With that said, if you got a PS3, I would love to face you in 2k8.

QUOTE (nitetrain8601 @ Mar 5, 2009 -> 04:42 PM)
I rather deal with fun pitching than hitting. All baseball games before last year made pitching a breeze. I love the pitching for MLB2k9. And they lessoned the effect of a meatball, so it's not always a HR. With that said, if you got a PS3, I would love to face you in 2k8.

in 2k8?

Played 09 for the first time today, awesome game. Except Dye hit a ball that bounced off a players glove and over the wall, they didn't rule it a home run immediately I had to run the bases to score the run all while the outfielder was running into the wall hoping to get to the ball.

Time to start my road to the show.

Barack Obama is in the audio part of the game. So if you want your created player to be called Barack Obama by the announcers you can.

Edited by kev211

QUOTE (kev211 @ Mar 6, 2009 -> 06:16 PM)
in 2k8?

Played 09 for the first time today, awesome game. Except Dye hit a ball that bounced off a players glove and over the wall, they didn't rule it a home run immediately I had to run the bases to score the run all while the outfielder was running into the wall hoping to get to the ball.

Time to start my road to the show.

Barack Obama is in the audio part of the game. So if you want your created player to be called Barack Obama by the announcers you can.

Yeah, because it doesn't sound like he has access to 2k9 as he probably won't buy it.

QUOTE (SoxAce @ Mar 5, 2009 -> 02:52 AM)
Damn even in a sports game MacDougal is overrated.

He's got great stuff still... just no control over half the time.

I think I'm gonna play some MVP 07, which is IMO, the greatest BASEBALL game ever created. Now, MVP 05 is the greatest MLB game ever created, and gets the edge in rankings over MVP 07, but if you switch MVP 07 from the NCAA to MLB, and you're talking about one amazingly awesome game.

Edited by BearSox

So, here's a slight change of subject. I've recently picked up a copy of The Show '09, and, well, I'm really bad at it.

I've set the game to "Rookie" difficulty, and I still can't hit my way out of a paper bag. The game manual tells you what the controls are, but it doesn't really tell me how to bat. For example, is there a "batting cursor" that I just can't see? Am I supposed to do anything other than time my swing right? It's kind of frustrating. Defense is easier and more intuitive, at least.

I guess at first, I'll just try to put as many features of the game on automatic (baserunning, etc.) and then try to figure it out. I'll be the first to admit that I'm not a video game champion; I just like to play when I can. Anyone else have similar problems/difficulties?

QUOTE (Balance @ Mar 10, 2009 -> 01:04 PM)
So, here's a slight change of subject. I've recently picked up a copy of The Show '09, and, well, I'm really bad at it.

I've set the game to "Rookie" difficulty, and I still can't hit my way out of a paper bag. The game manual tells you what the controls are, but it doesn't really tell me how to bat. For example, is there a "batting cursor" that I just can't see? Am I supposed to do anything other than time my swing right? It's kind of frustrating. Defense is easier and more intuitive, at least.

I guess at first, I'll just try to put as many features of the game on automatic (baserunning, etc.) and then try to figure it out. I'll be the first to admit that I'm not a video game champion; I just like to play when I can. Anyone else have similar problems/difficulties?

You need to put the left analog stick in the general area the pitch comes and time it correctly.

Guessing helps a lot you can usually crush a pitch when you know what it is and where it is going.