Bills Sign Owens

per rotoworld-

Citing "two sources," ESPN's Michael Smith reports that the Cowboys have released Terrell Owens.

If so, they're moving on early. Owens' $3.1 million roster bonus wasn't due until June. The move causes a $680,000K cap hit, but saves Jerry Jones $5.77M in cash. The Cowboys ultimately decided that T.O. was too much of a distraction despite arguably being their best offensive player. He has a lot left -- T.O. averaged 18.9 yards a catch and scored five TDs in the Cowboys' last eight games -- and may draw interest from the Raiders, Redskins, Jets, and Broncos. Receiver-needy teams almost certain to take a pass include Chicago, Philadelphia, and Miami.

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well as a Cowboys fan I hope Jerry is looking to get another wideout..like right now. So he was the scapegoat for an o-coordinator who had his schemes exposed at the end of the season & an o-line that racked up penalties....

Well, if the same s*** happens this season Garrett and Phillips should be shown the door. I still don't buy that TO was the cause for all of the problems.

QUOTE (MHizzle85 @ Mar 4, 2009 -> 11:36 PM)
Well as a Cowboys fan I hope Jerry is looking to get another wideout..like right now. So he was the scapegoat for an o-coordinator who had his schemes exposed at the end of the season & an o-line that racked up penalties....

Well, if the same s*** happens this season Garrett and Phillips should be shown the door. I still don't buy that TO was the cause for all of the problems.

Roy Williams can be a top wideout easily.

If Holt gets the release he wants, he'd probably be targeted.

Not gonna lie, I'm not a huge fan of T.O.'s attitude, but I'd LOVE to have him on the Bears. He makes them so much better. And it's not like he's going to get pissed at Orton. After Olsen, who else is he going to throw to?

Orton-Owens-Olsen...uh oh.

QUOTE (SoxFan1 @ Mar 5, 2009 -> 02:29 AM)
Not gonna lie, I'm not a huge fan of T.O.'s attitude, but I'd LOVE to have him on the Bears. He makes them so much better. And it's not like he's going to get pissed at Orton. After Olsen, who else is he going to throw to?

Orton-Owens-Olsen...uh oh.

Um. I'd predict he calls out terrible quarterback play about 4 weeks into the season, creates a huge rift, and eventually gets released. The Bears will NEVER get Owens.

Now had they made a trade for Cutler...

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ Mar 5, 2009 -> 10:04 AM)
Um. I'd predict he calls out terrible quarterback play about 4 weeks into the season, creates a huge rift, and eventually gets released. The Bears will NEVER get Owens.

We can't grab TO because we don't have a QB, we can't trade for Cutler because we don't have a WR. :lolhitting

QUOTE (Texsox @ Mar 5, 2009 -> 08:38 AM)
Locally I heard it was a bigger cap hit.

I just read on ESPN that it was 9 mil, not 680,000

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=3953647

The Cowboys paid Owens a $12 million signing bonus just last year, included as part of a new four-year, $34 million deal. Dallas will take a roughly $9 million salary cap hit with the release of Owens

Edited by kyyle23

QUOTE (kyyle23 @ Mar 5, 2009 -> 09:45 AM)
I just read on ESPN that it was 9 mil, not 680,000

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=3953647

I'm pretty sure it's the lower cap figure, otherwise the Boys would of hung onto TO most likely, but otherwise they wouldn't be able to re-sign DeMarcus Ware (who's probably going to get as large of a contract as Albert Haynesworth).

I like the move. For whatever reason, Garrett and TO couldn't co-exist at the end of last season. And TO demanded the ball, and the Boys would giv it to him in situations where it wasn't warranted.

I hope we move to a more run heavy offense, with Roy Williams taking over TO's role, Austin as the #2 WR as the deep threat, and Crayton going across the middle.

It shows that Garrett won the power battle though, and is still pobably going to be the next head coach of the Cowboys.

And MHizzle, I blame our O-Line woes on Corey Proctor playing so many game, and Flozell Adams being injured for the majority of the season, the left side of our O-Line was just decimated.

The sports station and the news here all are reporting the 9 mil number. The team has shown a willingness to drop some folding money in search of past glory, so 9 mil would not be out of the question. A Super Bowl is worth many times that.

Terrell Owens hasn't been on the field for a playoff win by his team since January of 2003 (remember, he didn't play in any of those Eagles playoff wins that got them to the Super Bowl). To quote a wise man, he's 35 years old and he's not going to get a whole hell of a lot better. He's still put up some numbers recently, but it's pretty clear he's on the downside of his career. And none of that includes the fact he's one of the biggest, most toxic locker room cancers in recent memory. I would say no thanks to this guy, especially if I were a team like the Bears with no quarterback to speak of because he'd lose his mind (if not what is left of his game) pretty quickly. Great decision by the Cowboys to get rid of him.

Edited by whitesoxfan101

QUOTE (whitesoxfan101 @ Mar 5, 2009 -> 10:26 AM)
Terrell Owens hasn't been on the field for a playoff win by his team since January of 2003 (remember, he didn't play in any of those Eagles playoff wins that got them to the Super Bowl). To quote a wise man, he's 35 years old and he's not going to get a whole hell of a lot better. He's still put up some numbers recently, but it's pretty clear he's on the downside of his career. And none of that includes the fact he's one of the biggest, most toxic locker room cancers in recent memory. I would say no thanks to this guy, especially if I were a team like the Bears with no quarterback to speak of because he'd lose his mind (if not what is left of his game) pretty quickly. Great decision by the Cowboys to get rid of him.

I agree with everything you said but the bolded part, mostly because even on his 35 year old legs he is better than 90 percent of the WRs in the NFL

He'll end up in Oakland also it looks like, because they'll be the only team to go near him.

I thought the Skins might be interested just to spite the Cowboys, but it sounds like Snyder is going to stay away.

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Mar 5, 2009 -> 11:48 AM)
Are you kidding me...of course I'd love him on the Bears. I still prefer Holt though and I'd give up a lot to get him. Bring him in for a 3rd rounder, give him a 3 year contract.

He was released, no compensation necassary

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ Mar 5, 2009 -> 09:50 AM)
I think he was referring to Holt, who has yet to be officially released.

You'd think the Lovie, STL connection would make it happen.

Holt plus a smart first day pick at WR would be exceptional. The WR corps would be immediately better with the potential to be very good (Bennett, draft pick, and Hester as the up and comers with Holt as the total vet that can really help those three young WR's develop on top of being the steady 3rd down target along with Olsen/Clark). That would be a f***ing serious upgrade to the offense and when you than focus on adding a olineman via the draft you could have really really upgraded the offense in a matter of one off-season (and there is no reason they couldn't use a 1st round pick on a tackle, a 2nd rounder on the best WR, and than sign Holt). The only thing left would be to find a safety and than obviously try to draft and pick up some depth in the secondary but really the teams corners are still young and it sounds like Vasher will be around and I think he still has some football left in him.

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Mar 5, 2009 -> 09:52 AM)
I'm referring to Holt. I know he's requested his release but I haven't heard anything else officially happening.

If he's asked for his release and a new contract, there's no reason to offer up anything as valuable as a 3rd for him. If there's a cap hit, the Rams would have to take it whether they released him or traded him IIRC, so basically for them it comes down to losing him for nothing or losing him for whatever pick they can get.

I agree, but my point is that I would still gladly give up that much for Holt. He's had one season in the last seven or so years where he wasn't a complete badass and that happened to be this past year when he had absolutely no one throwing him the football. I think he still has a couple 1000 yard seasons or close to it left in him and being able to add that type of talent immediately makes this team better (Hester is a legit #2 or should develop into one and than you can push Rashid davis into a 5th spot where he's primarily a special teams guy with Bennett and the draft pick getting the other spots).

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Mar 5, 2009 -> 09:57 AM)
I agree, but my point is that I would still gladly give up that much for Holt. He's had one season in the last seven or so years where he wasn't a complete badass and that happened to be this past year when he had absolutely no one throwing him the football. I think he still has a couple 1000 yard seasons or close to it left in him and being able to add that type of talent immediately makes this team better (Hester is a legit #2 or should develop into one and than you can push Rashid davis into a 5th spot where he's primarily a special teams guy with Bennett and the draft pick getting the other spots).

I think Holt would be an excellent fit for the Bears as well, but I wouldn't give up a 3rd to get exclusive rights for him if he's going to be cut anyway.

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ Mar 5, 2009 -> 09:04 AM)

Let us please not start acting like that trade could have happened and Angelo simply failed to make it.

I wonder if Holt will want to go to a team where he can stay indoors and play on a better surface than say Soldier Field where his speed would argubly be more of an asset?

If the Bears have a chance to get him though, they should. Would be a serious upgrade for them, and opposing D's would have to play the safeties deep due to the deep speed of Holt and Hester.