Who's Been to Camelback: Tips and Advice?

champs2005

Original question poster here. Got back from Glendale Sunday. Id rather not mention the two horrible games the Sox played, the terrible defense of Fields, the BP pitching that enabled like 35+ hits in two games and the anemic hitting so here is a quick report on our new facilities and Glendale in general:

We got to the park at about 10:15 and walked to the first large practice field behind the Sox clubhouse, the one with a small set of concrete bleachers behind home. Saw a group taking BP and doing running drills: Alexi, Quentin, Jermaine, Thome, Konerko, Lillibridge, Wise. Hawk and wife drove up in a golf cart. Walker and Cooper were there. It was really cool to be so close to all of them and to have them stop by a low fence after practice to chat and sign autographs. You dont even need a ticket go go in early and watch practice. My kids went nuts to be this close to the players. My son got his "Alexi!" as Che Guevara soxmachine.com tshirt signed by the kid, who seemed quite amused by it.

Had lawn tix for the Friday game, spread out a blanket by the bullpen so we got close up look at Contreras who looked to be in awesome shape but we only lasted about 2 innings out there in the 90+ heat. Moved to some seats in the shade a couple sections to the first base side of home. No hassles from ushers at all, but it was only about half full. The heat was really oppressive and the shade sections are behind home, starting halfway up the rows and moving toward first base side.

Great food and beer. Fantastic beer selection: Sierra Nevada, Gordon Biersch, some other local brews on tap. Garlic fries. Super stir fried noodles-vegetables made a huge wok while you watch. Big portions. I wish the food and beer selection at Comiskey was this good! Nothing against "beers of the world" and a polish with grilled onions, dont get me wrong.

Most of Glendale seemed like it was built last year. Seriously. Probably five hotels, a whole shopping mall-entertainment complex, hockey and football stadiums. All brand spanking new. Very California-like with huge roads, no sidewalks, mega parking lots among desert-sheep grazing fields. Urban planning nightmare. Sprawl on steroids.

Had a beer and watched NCAA at the Yard House, which apparently is a chiain with a location in Glenview. 120 BEERS ON TAP!

Had a terrific Italian dinner in the "old town" section of Glendale, which is about 2-3 miles east of the ballpark on Glendale Ave. Place called La Piazza al Forno. Wood fired pizza, chicken pesto lasagna, cheap but decent wines. Owner walking around checking in with everyone, a nice break from all the chain restaurants.

Had a really crappy dinner but very strong margarita at Jimmy Buffet's Margaritaville also in the same mall with Yard House. Stopped by a western bar with a bull riding machine. Didnt get on. Several other chain type restaurants in this mall, which is part of the U Phoenix stadium-jobing.com arena area. Couple fountains, live music on weekend. A nice mall to hang out in and people watch.

For those of you who care (and I care alot): there are In-N-Out Burger places in Phoenix! One is just s few miles north of the ballpark, up 101 exit on Bell.

All in all, a really fun trip. I could imagine a great guys trip of days filled with golf and baseball, nights filled with drinking, eating and NCAA watching. For sure I will go again.