Our 2010 lineup's going to look a little different...

DaTank

We have a few prospects that should break through and start the 2010 season in the Majors. In my opinion, we'll see Beckham (SS, 2B, or 3B?), Allen (assuming Thome isn't re-signed), Viciedo (at 3B if Fields doesn't perform; LF is Fields has a strong season and we let Dye go), Poreda and possibly Danks II (future CF and lead off hitter).

A lineup with those guys is gonna be f***ing fun to watch.

QUOTE (nitetrain8601 @ Mar 5, 2009 -> 04:03 PM)
I don't think you'll see all those guys in 2010. I'd say Allen, Poreda and Danks in 2011.

Whether in the pen or in the rotation, I think Poreda will be up for some time this year, if only for September call ups. As for Allen, he's already made it to AA and played 41 games there. So he'll likely start in AA for a little while or AAA directly. He'll probably have a strong opportunity to make the club right out of the gate next year if Thome walks and he doesn't regress in the Minors this year.

QUOTE (Tony82087 @ Mar 5, 2009 -> 04:07 PM)
With Contreras and Colon locked in to miss significant portions of 2009, Poreda was a great chance to contribute in 2009.

There's still a lot for him to work on. At most, he'll be in the bullpen in 2010. I actually see him being traded, but that's just my opinion.

Looking at just internal guys (which isn't the KW world of course, but what the heck), look at the team we could have in 2011 (and some in 2010), in terms of solid young talent...

C Flowers

1B Viciedo

2B Beckham (interchangeable)

SS Ramirez (interchangeable)

3B Fields

LF Shelby

CF Danks

RF Quentin

DH Allen

And behind them on the bench or if the above fail or are traded:

Lillibridge (CF, SS, 2B)

Getz (UT IF)

Miranda (SS, 2B)

Kuhn (SS, 2B)

Retherford (3B)

Dubler ©

Kroeger (OF)

Martinez (OF)

SP Buehrle

SP Danks

SP Floyd

SP Poreda

SP one from: Marquez, Cassel, Eggy, Richard, Harrell, etc.

And whomever in the pen. Plus I am probably missing some guys.

That is a lot of very good talent. I'm psyched.

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Mar 5, 2009 -> 04:16 PM)
SP Buehrle

SP Danks

SP Floyd

SP Poreda

I personally am a Marquez guy, but maybe we draft a solid college arm this year to add to that list?

Edited by jenks45monster

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Mar 5, 2009 -> 04:16 PM)
Looking at just internal guys (which isn't the KW world of course, but what the heck), look at the team we could have in 2011 (and some in 2010), in terms of solid young talent...

C Flowers

1B Viciedo

2B Beckham (interchangeable)

SS Ramirez (interchangeable)

3B Fields

LF Shelby

CF Danks

RF Quentin

DH Allen

And behind them on the bench or if the above fail or are traded:

Lillibridge (CF, SS, 2B)

Getz (UT IF)

Miranda (SS, 2B)

Kuhn (SS, 2B)

Retherford (3B)

Dubler ©

Kroeger (OF)

Martinez (OF)

SP Buehrle

SP Danks

SP Floyd

SP Poreda

And whomever in the pen. Plus I am probably missing some guys.

That is a lot of very good talent. I'm psyched.

Thought Burrly was done after 2010

It's funny to look at how far our farm system has come in just a few years. We certainly still have a lot of prospects that people overrate a bit, but it's really nice to see a farm system with some prospects that have relatively bright futures ahead.

I've really grown to hate these "future" threads.

It's fun to look back at previous versions and see how far off people can be. KW has always been the guy to trade away the farm for splashy names or guys he's had a hard on for.

Here's one from Juggs:

http://www.soxtalk.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=30879

I think this is a good thread to mention that they will be giving Gordon Beckham some more playing time tomorrow.

From Cowley:

"Beckham gets the start at second base Friday against Team Australia, and will get time at third base. They want to get him more ABs."

QUOTE (santo=dorf @ Mar 5, 2009 -> 05:34 PM)

It's fun to look back at previous versions and see how far off people can be. KW has always been the guy to trade away the farm for splashy names or guys he's had a hard on for.

Here's one from Juggs:

hahaha, how ridiculous. I guess that just goes to show you how much changes. Honel. ugh. BMac, thank you for Danks.:)

I just don't see KW trading or making a play for Halladay. Maybe the time will come when he really does go after another "ace" caliber pitcher via trade or free agency, but his mode since the David Wells/Ritchie/Vazquez/Garcia deals has been to target younger pitchers with potential like Danks and Floyd and hope they develop into aces, rather than spending that kind of money and/or giving up the entire farm system to pull a move off.

I won't say it's impossible because economics might conspire against the Blue Jays (and the almost unbeatable competition in the AL East) and force them to make a move, but they're not going to get anything back for the likes of Rolen, Wells and even Rios, so they simply HAVE to get something nice for Halladay.

QUOTE (tommy @ Mar 5, 2009 -> 06:46 PM)
From Cowley:

"Beckham gets the start at second base Friday against Team Australia, and will get time at third base. They want to get him more ABs."

I'm really excited for some Beckham. I have no idea why, really, but I'm always 100% concentrated when he's at the plate, similar to how I was with Quentin last year. Maybe it's the hype or the nickname or I don't know, but I'm ready for him as soon as possible. And I think the fact that Guillen's putting him at 3rd is a sign that they're ready/excited for him as well.

And yeah yeah, I know he needs to go to the minors and work on his d and get experience, but I don't know. I'm just hoping to see him as soon as possible.

QUOTE (santo=dorf @ Mar 5, 2009 -> 04:34 PM)

Here's one from Juggs:

All due respect that assessment came from a period of time where we didn't really much talent in our system. When you don't have many players in your system you tend to just get excited about whoever it the best among the guys you do have. Even if they aren't very good. I think that there is a big difference between our farm system in 05 and our system now, that is not to say that all of our guys are going to pan out and turn into superstars, but I think that there's a much better chance at success now because we do have players with legitimate talent.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Mar 5, 2009 -> 11:23 PM)
I just don't see KW trading or making a play for Halladay. Maybe the time will come when he really does go after another "ace" caliber pitcher via trade or free agency, but his mode since the David Wells/Ritchie/Vazquez/Garcia deals has been to target younger pitchers with potential like Danks and Floyd and hope they develop into aces, rather than spending that kind of money and/or giving up the entire farm system to pull a move off.

I won't say it's impossible because economics might conspire against the Blue Jays (and the almost unbeatable competition in the AL East) and force them to make a move, but they're not going to get anything back for the likes of Rolen, Wells and even Rios, so they simply HAVE to get something nice for Halladay.

If Halladay becomes available then the Sox, for the first time in a long time, have the talent to make a deal. I see Kenny's position a bit differently in that he'll only give up the talent and spend the money if he knows he can get a guy who is a top-end starter who can also be extended for a reasonable term at a reasonable rate. Halladay is one of those guys who doesn't have Boras representing him and I don't think he's going to be looking for $25M a year, plus he's signed through 2010. A trade plus a 2 year, $36M extension would seem a possibility to me. Halladay has never bolted from Toronto looking for 6+ years.

The Sox have Colon's $1-3M, Contreras' $10M, Thome's $13M, Dotel's $6M, and possibly Dye's $11.5M (with a $1M buyout) all coming off the books after this year. In total, that would be $40.5-$43.5M in salary off the books. Plus, with Konerko being signed through 2010 at $12M, if he rebounds this year I think the Sox will be able to move him and get a prospect if they eat $2-4M. Normally the Sox don't do that, but if they have a young kid to replace him (Viciedo, Allen, Flowers possibly) then it makes sense to save an extra $8-10M plus pick up a prospect at the same time. So, this year I could finally see the "Paulie to the Angels" rumors coming true if Paulie hits better and the Angels struggle to find a 1B.

I don't think it's out of the realm of possibility to see the Sox cut about $50M+ in salary after this season and then replace about $25-30 of that with bargains, mostly on 1-year deals. That way, once Danks, Floyd, Quentin, and Alexei start to get really expensive, the Sox will have AJ (through 2010), Buehrle (through 2011), and Linebrink (through 2011) either off the books or back at a reduced rate, and they'll be able to pay their arb-eligible players.

I think you're right about the economics of it for Toronto. With injuries to their staff combined with the loss of AJ Burnett, they are probably going to be a 4th place team this year behind the Yankees, Red Sox, and Rays. They'll also be a fourth place team saddled with lots of bad contracts, and if they are forced to drop salary, it is Halladay and/or Alex Rios that are going to be the ones who'll have to go since nobody is going to take Overbay, Rolen, Wells, or BJ Ryan. They've repeatedly denied that they'll be looking to move players, but it's going to be hard on every team, especially a 4th place team with all these bad contracts that run into 2010 or beyond.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Mar 5, 2009 -> 11:23 PM)

Kenny has gone after the best pitcher on the market multiple times. To me, that is more of his nature, and when that doesn't work out, then he looks to add younger pitching. The only reason that hasn't been as true the last couple of years if the economics of having a $110 million payroll was not allowing them to add another $10 to $15 million salary to the books. He has had to look to developing pitchers because he has so much money wrapped up in contracts in Chicago, that he never had before. I would be willing to bet if the economy doesn't kill the Sox this year, Kenny would give up the farm to get Halliday. It is him MO to a T.