WBC # 2

Cubano

• Replies 229
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Tony82087 @ Mar 7, 2009 -> 01:56 PM)
While I understand some of the complaints, I really don't understand why 99% of baseball fans don't enjoy it.

It's March 7th. The alternative to watching the WBC is watching the Sox and Rangers play 4 innings of decent baseball, followed by hot garbage.

Give me Canada vs. USA over any ST game.

It's a lot more watchable with only one Sox player participating, there's really no way I could enjoy watching John Danks throw competitive pitches at the start of March or Alexei Ramirez get bowled over by Adam Dunn at second base. I'll enjoy it because I get to see some decent baseball at the beginning of March but I don't feel like there's anything on the line.

QUOTE (daa84 @ Mar 7, 2009 -> 02:05 PM)
the fact that hawkins is on this team is a joke....jeter over rollins?

Dude, he's Derek Jeter. According to Sutcliffe, just taking batting practice with Derek Jeter before the game inspired Kevin Youkliss to drive a single into right field in the 1st. Remember Jeter ain't far off from Jesus.

QUOTE (Tony82087 @ Mar 7, 2009 -> 02:06 PM)
I'm rooting for the DR, because I like the makeup of their team more than anyone else.

I take no national pride out of the these exhibition games. Thats not what it's about for me at all. My argument is just based on people saying they won't watch because of how stupid it is, and MLB is just out to make money. While that may be the case, I would rather watch Hanley and Ortiz back to back than Owens and Wise back to back, like we are going to witness in the Sox game later today.

Why not watch? For March 7th, it's good baseball.

Oh, for sure. No matter how retarded and potential detrimental to the game I may believe it to be I'm still likely to watch. It's the only game in town.

QUOTE (Kalapse @ Mar 7, 2009 -> 04:09 PM)
Dude, he's Derek Jeter. According to Sutcliffe, just taking batting practice with Derek Jeter before the game inspired Kevin Youkliss to drive a single into left field in the 1st. Remember Jeter ain't far off from Jesus.

haha im glad someone called sutcliffe out on that....i literally wanted to reach through the tv an punch him in the face when i heard that...though i think he said it about the mccann sac fly, not youk

QUOTE (daa84 @ Mar 7, 2009 -> 02:12 PM)
haha im glad someone called sutcliffe out on that....i literally wanted to reach through the tv an punch him in the face when i heard that...though i think he said it about the mccann sac fly, not youk

Was it? I guess I was only half listening. I find pretty much all ESPN employees loathsome.

I watched the first WBC and I just love competitive baseball.

Don't get me wrong I love spring training but after the first couple innings it features guys who I'm not interested in watching play, I'm just not that into the minor leagues and the games don't mean much to me. I like watching the talent from the minors but the teams don't have anything to play for.

I think the WBC is great, players feel honored to play for their country and put it all on the line. Its really anyones game, hell the Netherlands won earlier today, just wow. Even Cuba making it the first year running to the finals was impressive, I like that anything can happen and its some good quality baseball.

Nice to see Larry Walker on Canadas coaching staff, always a favorite of mine to watch.

While I understand some of the complaints, I really don't understand why 99% of baseball fans don't enjoy it.

It's March 7th. The alternative to watching the WBC is watching the Sox and Rangers play 4 innings of decent baseball, followed by hot garbage.

^ that.

While i understand the injury fears and whatnot, it's great to see some exciting baseball so early.

Congratulations to the Dutch!

You deserve every moment of joyce. Your program has improved over the years. I remember being a kid back home watching Cuba trash the Netherlands. In the last few years, the Netherlands have played hard and beaten Cuba, Japan and USA teams. They have players that play in the minors, Mexico and their own league.

Let's go USA! I like to see USA vs Cuba in the finals. If I am watching alone, I will be rooting for the Cubans. If my kid is around, I will rooting for the USA then. The security around the Cuban team in Mexico is unreal. The Cuban security personnel do not allow them to do anything. What a shame!

I'm someone who is against it, but still enjoying watching higher caliber baseball at this point. The reason I don't like it is the people who just put so much "national pride" behind it. This means nothing to me as far as being a U.S. citizen. In fact I was rooting for the young canadian pitcher to get out of the bases loaded jam because it would be more interesting from a baseball perspective (and damn, he looked nasty).

It is something Bud just made up 4 years ago and people want to wave flags and insult people who don't "support their country." It's nonsense to me. If a used car dealer created an international ping pong tournament and I didn't support the U.S. I'm all of a sudden not patriotic or have pride in my country?

I don't care how people watch it, doesn't bother me one bit, what gets me is the people who feel the need to attack people because they don't support the U.S. or whaterver.

Also, MLB is a billion dollar industry with million dollar players. I don't want players from the team I support playing in it because IMO the injury factor is higher. Am I right? Who knows, but I think the risk is there and I'm glad Danks said no to it. There's no need for it, the best players in the world (minus some Japanese players due to their posting system and other one off situations I'm sure exsist) play in MLB.

So as a baseball fan I loved that inning with the Canadian kid facing a U.S. lineup of top players and getting out of a jam and I was impressed by it. I would have enjoyed it equally if he was pitching for the U.S., Canada or Joe's Bar.

Also, I love how the announcers were wondering why Derek Jeter was replaced and completely ignore the fact that he is a terrible defensive shortstop.