WBC # 2

Cubano

QUOTE (Thunderbolt @ Mar 18, 2009 -> 09:59 PM)
Bad turn of events for Cuba. CF makes a great play to get to the ball, drops it when he does.

Don't mentioned!

We get runners after two outs too. I can't win like that. Maybe, he got confused with the fog.

• Replies 229
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Cubano @ Mar 18, 2009 -> 09:28 PM)
Stop crying about injuries and such. The Soccer World Cup is the best thing in the planet. The best players compete and nobody cries like MLB teams. Maybe there is a reason baseball has faling behind others sports in popularity.

Meh. Its not that important around here though. We can probably agree that the top professional sports in the world are football, basketball, baseball, hockey and soccer. 4 out of those 5 have their best professioanl leagues in the US. Hence why a US org would control a meaningless tourney like the WBC. The world cup is great around the world, but does it even break into the top 5 most watched events in the US? Probably not.

not only did fukudome just let a ball drop in front of him in CF...he got a terrible read on the HR and was really slow breaking back.. the cubs must really think he can play CF...but i am skeptical

Edited by daa84

QUOTE (nitetrain8601 @ Mar 20, 2009 -> 12:12 PM)
Why did he abandon his?

He had a mental breakdown, and i believe that the pitching coach he worked with had him focus on throwing more "comfortable pitches." So as to alleviate mental and physical stress. Greinke's curve now is about 10 MPH faster, but still has some sick break.

QUOTE (Cubano @ Mar 18, 2009 -> 09:28 PM)
Stop crying about injuries and such. The Soccer World Cup is the best thing in the planet. The best players compete and nobody cries like MLB teams. Maybe there is a reason baseball has faling behind others sports in popularity.

I don't think baseball has fallen in popularity recently. Soccer is different because of the nature of the sports. Baseball is something you can only be in shape for by playing competitive baseball. The World Cup is right at the beginning of the club offseason. Pitchers are fried by the end of the regular season as is, so they can't do that for baseball. As a result, the players aren't at their peaks right now.

I think my major problem with the WBC is that the format is atrocious. Why do they have these stupid 1/2 placement games at the end of each pool? It doesn't matter that much. Get rid of those, let the first to advance to get the top seed, and replace them with a college regional format for the semis. They can still get their championship game if they so desire, but baseball isn't meant for single elimination. The sport isn't consistent enough for that.

QUOTE (Thunderbolt @ Mar 22, 2009 -> 09:51 PM)
Joe Morgan needs to shut up. Longoria>Victorino it's simple math.

You are completely wrong. That was a stupid move by Davey Johnson. There was no reason to pinch hit for Victorino in that situation. Longoria, while is a top young talent, still has a ways to go. I'd gladly take Victorino in a pressure situation like that, as he has shown himself to be very clutch. And you didn't NEED a homerun in that situation, you needed to get that runner in from 3rd.

QUOTE (BearSox @ Mar 22, 2009 -> 11:14 PM)
You are completely wrong. That was a stupid move by Davey Johnson. There was no reason to pinch hit for Victorino in that situation. Longoria, while is a top young talent, still has a ways to go. I'd gladly take Victorino in a pressure situation like that, as he has shown himself to be very clutch. And you didn't NEED a homerun in that situation, you needed to get that runner in from 3rd.

Longoria is one of the best young hitter's in the game. Victorion is a fine hitter, but he doesn't have have half the power or hitting talent that Longoria does. We're not just talking a home run. Longoria can hit the ball anywhere.

BTW, why was Jeter starting at SS and Rollins DH'ing? That's an ignorant move based only on the Jeter hype.

QUOTE (Thunderbolt @ Mar 22, 2009 -> 10:26 PM)
Longoria is one of the best young hitter's in the game. Victorion is a fine hitter, but he doesn't have have half the power or hitting talent that Longoria does. We're not just talking a home run. Longoria can hit the ball anywhere.

BTW, why was Jeter starting at SS and Rollins DH'ing? That's an ignorant move based only on the Jeter hype.

I don't disagree Longoria is one of the top young hitters in the game, but I'd gladly take my odds with a proven guy like Victorino who is much more savy, and would at the very least put the ball in play.

Agreed about the Jeter-Rollins thing though. So, we're officially eliminated?

Personally, I thought the USA team was horribly put together.

The WBC was much more enjoyable than meaningless spring training games, but it was hard for me to really get into it, seeing that in the most important game of the tourney, Team USA started Mark DeRosa at 1st base, not to mention that their #3 & #4 starters were Ted Lilly & Jeremy Guthrie. I think the US might have been able to make a better team just with the guys that declined to play.

I still think a champion’s league would be the best way to do this. If you could take the World Series winner and put the against the winner of the Japanese League, Asian League, Cuban League ETC. I imagine we'd see a lot more competition, and it would be cool to compare and contrast the style of play, and not have to worry about compiling a team from 32 rosters.

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Mar 20, 2009 -> 10:19 AM)
Meh. Its not that important around here though. We can probably agree that the top professional sports in the world are football, basketball, baseball, hockey and soccer. 4 out of those 5 have their best professioanl leagues in the US. Hence why a US org would control a meaningless tourney like the WBC. The world cup is great around the world, but does it even break into the top 5 most watched events in the US? Probably not.

I would not be so sure about that. There are lots of foreigners in the USA that follow world soccer. Spanish TV gets high ratings and one of them usually gains TV rights. English TV stations do not care too much. Non-Spanish speaking customers would love to have a TV stations to watch it. Africans, Europeans, Asians, etc. Maybe, there is another ethnic channel out there showing Soccer World Cup games out there, but I am not sure about it.

How many watch Hockey? I do when I have some time but not often. Go Red Wings and Caps!

I did not watch the game. I heard it in the radio. Davey J. did not do a good job. Also, Jeter is overrated. USA pitching performed poorly. They are MLguers. Aren't they?

In addition, defense was pretty bad for USA, Mexico, Dominican R. and Venezuela. If you can not catch the ball, you won't win. The White Sox may have the same problems this year.

Edited by Cubano

I like the WBC, but the format needs to be changed. There's too many pointless games that are played. There's no need for Japan to play Korea five times.

What they should do is have only one team advance from the first round instead of two (double elimination), then have the remaining four play double elimination to determine the champ. there's too many games that are played just for seeding, and it's completely pointless.