Starting rotations for AA/AAA in April, 2009

caulfield12

Charlotte

John Van Benschoten

Jeff Marquez (depending on Colon/Contreras)

Richard or Aaron Poreda

Lance Broadway

John Egbert

AA

Ely

Anthony Carter (maybe) or Carlos Torres

Santeliz

Cassel

Harrell

Other names

McCulloch

Matt Long

Zaleski

Omogrosso

Rasner

would like to see Santos Rodriguez and what he's got but that will have to wait

That really is not too bad for the organization when you start to look at our 6th, 7th, and 8th starters... We look better there than many teams do in their 4th and 5th spots if Contreras and Colon can hold up. Even if they don't we are in good shape, especially if a guy like JVB turns it around.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Mar 6, 2009 -> 08:15 AM)
Charlotte

John Van Benschoten

Jeff Marquez (depending on Colon/Contreras)

Richard or Aaron Poreda

Lance Broadway

John Egbert

AA

Ely

Anthony Carter (maybe) or Carlos Torres

Santeliz

Cassel

Harrell

Other names

McCulloch

Matt Long

Zaleski

Omogrosso

Rasner

would like to see Santos Rodriguez and what he's got but that will have to wait

Well, first, know that some of those names won't even be in the organization come mid-April. Broadway isn't likely to go to AAA again, for a 4th year, that's like a death sentence. He makes the club or he's shown the door. Richard won't be in AAA nor will Marquez, they are both making the team, one way or the other (though I would prefer Marquez starting in AAA if Colon and Contreras are both healthy, it won't happen). Also, no way they have Cassel repeat AA after he not only spent a full season there, but put up some of the best numbers of any starter in that entire league.

If I assume that Broadway is gone, and others are not (which is unlikely, but I can't say who might get traded), it looks like this:

AAA:

Egbert

Poreda

Cassel

Van Benschoten

Torres (possibly goes to pen, in which case, Harrell gets this slot)

'pen will include: Omogrosso, Wassermann, possibly Russell, possibly O'Malley, Link, Lujan

AA:

Harrell

McCulloch (if he is still even in the org, if not, possibly Carter)

Ely

Long

Rasner

That's about as far as I can project it right now.

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Mar 6, 2009 -> 10:15 AM)
Well, first, know that some of those names won't even be in the organization come mid-April. Broadway isn't likely to go to AAA again, for a 4th year, that's like a death sentence. He makes the club or he's shown the door. Richard won't be in AAA nor will Marquez, they are both making the team, one way or the other (though I would prefer Marquez starting in AAA if Colon and Contreras are both healthy, it won't happen). Also, no way they have Cassel repeat AA after he not only spent a full season there, but put up some of the best numbers of any starter in that entire league.

If I assume that Broadway is gone, and others are not (which is unlikely, but I can't say who might get traded), it looks like this:

AAA:

Egbert

Poreda

Cassel

Van Benschoten

'pen will include: Omogrosso, Wassermann, possibly Russell, possibly O'Malley, Link, Lujan

AA:

Harrell

Ely

Long

Rasner

You'd have to think Nunez and Link would be the two closers. I suppose it could end up being someone like German or MacDougal, but I would doubt it.

Doesn't C. Santeliz probably have the best potential in terms of stuff and future projectability, certainly better than Long and Rasner? Are you going to have him starting in High A or relieving in Birmingham?

I wonder if the Sox will start S. Rodriguez? I'm assuming they will, somewhere in A ball...at least until he proves he's better suited as a reliever.

It's going to be the final passing of the Shaffer/Wilder Era when Owens (although that was a KW trade), Broadway, McCulloch, Valido, Gomes, Paulo Orlando, Rafael Rayes and Juan Silverio are gone (Andy Gonzalez, thankfully, was the first). If it weren't for the health of Contreras and the signing of Colon, I couldn't see any way they could waive or trade Broadway. That would be putting a lot of pressure on Marquez, Richard and Poreda, and Richard's the only one with any MLB experience. He's close to the end of the rope...and maybe they'll trade him or put him in the bullpen in Charlotte, but I can't see them waiving him quite yet. If anyone, McCulloch deserves to be released b4 Broadway.

Edited by caulfield12

It would only be Broadway's third year at AAA. Cassel will be in Charlotte, he more than deserves a promotion after leading the SL in ERA. Harrell will need to repeat AA because he only made 10 starts in 2008. Still having nagging shoulder issues. Omogrosso will start in AA because he missed so much time with blister issues. He told me that he had a tumor in his right hand that caused the problem. Santeliz will start in B'ham. Ely should be in B'ham. Rasner & Zaleski should be in AA. McCulloch is awful, I wouldn't hold out any hope for him at all. He is the pitching equivalent of Valido. Everything else is a mystery, it's hard to nail down the pitching rotations. It's easier to call the position players.

Edited by JPN366

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Mar 6, 2009 -> 08:15 AM)

It certainly seems so far like Marquez is pitching himself in to that #6 starter spot if Colon and Contreras are ready to go early April, and all signs say they both will be.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Mar 6, 2009 -> 11:14 AM)
You'd have to think Nunez and Link would be the two closers. I suppose it could end up being someone like German or MacDougal, but I would doubt it.

Doesn't C. Santeliz probably have the best potential in terms of stuff and future projectability, certainly better than Long and Rasner? Are you going to have him starting in High A or relieving in Birmingham?

I wonder if the Sox will start S. Rodriguez? I'm assuming they will, somewhere in A ball...at least until he proves he's better suited as a reliever.

It's going to be the final passing of the Shaffer/Wilder Era when Owens (although that was a KW trade), Broadway, McCulloch, Valido, Gomes, Paulo Orlando, Rafael Rayes and Juan Silverio are gone (Andy Gonzalez, thankfully, was the first). If it weren't for the health of Contreras and the signing of Colon, I couldn't see any way they could waive or trade Broadway. That would be putting a lot of pressure on Marquez, Richard and Poreda, and Richard's the only one with any MLB experience. He's close to the end of the rope...and maybe they'll trade him or put him in the bullpen in Charlotte, but I can't see them waiving him quite yet. If anyone, McCulloch deserves to be released b4 Broadway.

I think Santeliz will be in the pen, with whichever club.

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Mar 6, 2009 -> 10:15 AM)

AAA:

Egbert

Poreda

Cassel

Van Benschoten

AA:

Harrell

Ely

Long

Rasner

I think you're pretty much right on here. Harrell should start in Charlotte with Broadway going to the pen if he's even still with the organization. Hopefully he's gone because the Sox depth is now starting to climb into the higher levels and there's no reason to keep him around as filler. If Egbert, Harrell, Richard, Poreda, Marquez, Ely, Cassel, Rasner, and Van Benschoten haven't all passed Broadway on the prospect/depth chart by now then someone is blind.

Carter should make Birmingham's roster no problem. Ely is a no-brainer there too. McCulloch needs to GTFO or head to the pen.

Edited by Kenny Hates Prospects

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Mar 6, 2009 -> 11:48 AM)
I think Santeliz will be in the pen, with whichever club.

I've read that they're going to have him start. Not necessarily because they project him as a starter. They just want him to get extra work to speed up his development.

• 2 weeks later...