Kroeger/Marquez Article

RockRaines

QUOTE (DBAHO @ Mar 6, 2009 -> 11:35 AM)
On Marquez, I haven't seen any of him so far this ST, but it sounds like his results have been promising thus far.

How's he looked so far?

Better than I thought he would. I was really expecting Egbert 2.0 but have seen much more. His fastball is well located and has good sink. He also can drop it on both sides of the plate to both RH and LH hitters. His breaking stuff was the big surprise. His curve looks like a knuckle curve to me and drops quite a bit. I really think he could succeed if given some major league time.

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Mar 6, 2009 -> 09:53 AM)
Better than I thought he would. I was really expecting Egbert 2.0 but have seen much more. His fastball is well located and has good sink. He also can drop it on both sides of the plate to both RH and LH hitters. His breaking stuff was the big surprise. His curve looks like a knuckle curve to me and drops quite a bit. I really think he could succeed if given some major league time.

Farmer did refer to it as a knuckle curve more than once yesterday.

QUOTE (DBAHO @ Mar 6, 2009 -> 11:35 AM)
On Marquez, I haven't seen any of him so far this ST, but it sounds like his results have been promising thus far.

How's he looked so far?

I'll estimate his stats for you...

5.0 total IP (all against the Cubs), 5 K, 2-3 BB, 1 H, 0 R, 0 ER.

Pretty damn good if you ask me.

Edited by jenks45monster

QUOTE (BFirebird @ Mar 6, 2009 -> 10:57 AM)
All this talk about Kroeger has me wondering. How many spots are actually available?

25 :lolhitting

If we carry 12 pitchers which I think is likely (bullpen of Jenks, Thornton, Liney, Dotel, 2nd Lefty (Richard), there are I think 2 bullpen spots open for righties.

12 pitchers, 8 regular starters, 1 DH = 21 people. That leaves:

1 backup catcher

3 other slots. One of which is Betemit

So, the available spots are:

Backup catcher (really don't know who gets the job but absolute necessity).

Starting 2b

Starting CF

2 backups. Clearly 1 backup must be able to cover multiple OF positions. The other can be variable given Betemit's versatility, or can be used as a platoon player.

2 bullpen arms.

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Mar 6, 2009 -> 11:01 AM)
Backup catcher will be Corky.

I think the other backups are Lilli and Kroeger IMO with BA starting in CF. Owens will prob be hurt again.

It's worth keeping in mind who has options left and who doesn't. Nix, Wise, and Owens would have to pass through Waivers to go down. Not sure about Kroeger (did sign a minor league deal). Wise could probably get through. Owens, no idea. Nix, no idea, depends on whether he keeps hitting.

Anderson has options left, as does Lillibridge and Getz. It wouldn't surprise me at all if Wise, Owens, and Nix found their way on to the opening day Roster to keep them from having to clear waivers. If the Sox carried Nix, Owens, Wise, and Kroeger, that would be similar to the makeup of the team at the end of last year, with limited IF backups but extra OF backups/platoons running.

Anderson in particular needs to pick it up with the bat right now otherwise I have trouble believing he'll start in the big leagues.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Mar 6, 2009 -> 01:00 PM)
25 :lolhitting

If we carry 12 pitchers which I think is likely (bullpen of Jenks, Thornton, Liney, Dotel, 2nd Lefty (Richard), there are I think 2 bullpen spots open for righties.

12 pitchers, 8 regular starters, 1 DH = 21 people. That leaves:

1 backup catcher

3 other slots. One of which is Betemit

So, the available spots are:

Backup catcher (really don't know who gets the job but absolute necessity).

Starting 2b

Starting CF

2 backups. Clearly 1 backup must be able to cover multiple OF positions. The other can be variable given Betemit's versatility, or can be used as a platoon player.

2 bullpen arms.

- So really only like 4 positional spots (2 starting)

Owens almost has to be cut to get the roster most of us posters want. I would almost assume they would keep at least one between Owens and Wise, because both are out of options. Maybe even both which could be disastrous.

- Who would the frontrunners for the last bullpen spots be?

Hopefully Sox pick German over Wasserman (based on performance I don't see how that won't be the case)

QUOTE (BFirebird @ Mar 6, 2009 -> 11:07 AM)
- Who would the frontrunners for the last bullpen spots be?

Hopefully Sox pick German over Wasserman (based on performance I don't see how that won't be the case)

Based on his work last year I think Carrasco has the inside track for one of those bullpen spots and it'd be difficult to not keep him. The other IMO is wide open.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Mar 6, 2009 -> 01:06 PM)
It's worth keeping in mind who has options left and who doesn't. Nix, Wise, and Owens would have to pass through Waivers to go down. Not sure about Kroeger (did sign a minor league deal). Wise could probably get through. Owens, no idea. Nix, no idea, depends on whether he keeps hitting.

Anderson has options left, as does Lillibridge and Getz. It wouldn't surprise me at all if Wise, Owens, and Nix found their way on to the opening day Roster to keep them from having to clear waivers. If the Sox carried Nix, Owens, Wise, and Kroeger, that would be similar to the makeup of the team at the end of last year, with limited IF backups but extra OF backups/platoons running.

Anderson in particular needs to pick it up with the bat right now otherwise I have trouble believing he'll start in the big leagues.

They are going to keep Betemit over Kroeger. He is the only backup I think that is assured a spot.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Mar 6, 2009 -> 01:08 PM)
Based on his work last year I think Carrasco has the inside track for one of those bullpen spots and it'd be difficult to not keep him. The other IMO is wide open.

Also, he could be a long man...good point I forgot about him.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Mar 6, 2009 -> 11:42 AM)
Why would you discount his innings because they are against the Cubs? They are one of the best offenses in baseball.

i didnt mean it in that way at all. i wasnt discrediting what he did, as if saying the cubs offense sucks. i just said that its only been two outings and against the same team. lets wait and see how he does in more ip and against more teams

QUOTE (BFirebird @ Mar 6, 2009 -> 11:10 AM)
They are going to keep Betemit over Kroeger. He is the only backup I think that is assured a spot.

I included him as guaranteed a spot in my first post, and just left that assumed (when I referred to the limited IF backups, that means him). The roster could still include Kroeger, Nix, Owens, Wise, and Betemit and still work.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Mar 6, 2009 -> 01:08 PM)

I think the pen shakes out to be:

Jenks

Linebrink

Dotel

Thornton

Richard

Carrasco

Marquez

Wassermann, Russell and German to AAA.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Mar 6, 2009 -> 02:13 PM)
I included him as guaranteed a spot in my first post, and just left that assumed (when I referred to the limited IF backups, that means him). The roster could still include Kroeger, Nix, Owens, Wise, and Betemit and still work.

I think you have to include Lillibridge in there instead of Nix just because of his versatility (Betemit at SS would worry me for example).

But on BA also, him having options and Wise not, could be the difference b/w 1 staying up and the other starting the season in AAA.

Still if Wise was DFA, I don't know if there'd be much interest in him, despite putting up some decent enough numbers at the end of last season.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Mar 6, 2009 -> 01:13 PM)

Ahh..my fault. That wouldn't be a bad bench at all...minus Owens.

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Mar 6, 2009 -> 02:15 PM)

Jenks

Linebrink

Dotel

Thornton

Richard

Carrasco

Marquez

I think that shows how much the Sox's pen would be better if they could sign a 2nd lefty for the pen (such as Joe Beimel), and allow for either Marquez or Richard to start in AAA.

I'd want one of em at least starting if they didn't break the Sox's rotation.

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Mar 6, 2009 -> 11:15 AM)

Jenks

Linebrink

Dotel

Thornton

Richard

Carrasco

Marquez

At this point there's a number of guys still in the running I'm sure. Nunez has to be on the list. Perhaps German as well. Still not enough innings amongst some of these guys to even wager a guess on my part. They may well want Marquez stretched out in the event that Colon or Contreras can't go one week, where he can step right in without having to eat up the pen.

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Mar 6, 2009 -> 01:15 PM)

Jenks

Linebrink

Dotel

Thornton

Richard

Carrasco

Marquez

I am going to guess that with the injury potential to Colon and Contreras that the Sox do not keep both Marquez and Richard up here. Judging by the buzz, it might be Poreda and one of Marquez and Richard who go north with the team. I'd rather Poreda start in Charlotte versus, relieve here, but it sounds like they really want Aaron with the Sox.

QUOTE (Soxbadger @ Mar 6, 2009 -> 01:28 PM)
Does anyone think that Kenny may try and get Pierre really cheap?

Yes.

QUOTE (Soxbadger @ Mar 6, 2009 -> 01:28 PM)
If LA picks up the entire salary and it only costs something like Jerry Owens, would people be interested?

No.

It will be interesting to see how all this changes in a couple of weeks when some of the guys really playing well struggle a little bit, and some of the guys who are struggling put it together. I really don't see how anyone can come to any conclusion based on what has happened so far. I'm sure nobody has been ruled out, but nobody with the positions in play, have been ruled in either. Corky Miller is on fire. The reality is, he hasn't hit better than a pitcher during the regular season in 6 years. Odds of him doing it in 2009 are slimmer than Jerry Owens hitting 20 homers.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Mar 6, 2009 -> 01:38 PM)
It will be interesting to see how all this changes in a couple of weeks when some of the guys really playing well struggle a little bit, and some of the guys who are struggling put it together. I really don't see how anyone can come to any conclusion based on what has happened so far. I'm sure nobody has been ruled out, but nobody with the positions in play, have been ruled in either. Corky Miller is on fire. The reality is, he hasn't hit better than a pitcher during the regular season in 6 years. Odds of him doing it in 2009 are slimmer than Jerry Owens hitting 20 homers.

wow, u werent kidding lol

corky's numbers