Ivan Rodriguez?

ozzfest

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (ozzfest @ Mar 7, 2009 -> 11:33 PM)
I think it would be nice if him and AJ shared the plate. Although there's virtually no chance we bring him in, I think he'd be a good fit to back up AJ.

I have to respectfully disagree. There has been lots of talk in the past about his poor game calling and I don't think he wants to be a platoon/backup for anyone just yet in his career. I do think he is a competitor though and gives it his all

Seriously, Corky Miller batted sub-.200 last year in the majors, Stewart sucks, Armstrong is a lefty. Makes perfect sense to me. One-year deal worth a $1 million maybe with some incentives about ABs in case AJ got hurt. We really should sign this guy, it would solve a huge weakness of this team: back-up catcher. We haven't had a solid one in many years and Toby Hall sucked horribly the past two years. Despite Miller doing well in ST, there is a reason he has sucked so much in his career, he doesn't have ML talent.

If he does indeed have "several" offers as he claims (sort of reminds you of what Drew Rosenhaus said about T.O.), then he is probably holding out for some sort of guarantee of substantial playing time and a reasonable amount of guaranteed money (my guess is $4 million or so), then throwing an incentive-laden, $1 million guaranteed offer and a backup job probably isn't going to do much for him.

You also have to consider that A.J. likes playing quite a bit and doesn't seem to care for sharing time with anyone...

I'd love it if they brought him in, but I just don't see it in the cards...

QUOTE (iamshack @ Mar 7, 2009 -> 05:49 PM)
I'd love it if they brought him in, but I just don't see it in the cards...

^^^^^^^^^^^

I don't see Pudge accepting an offer to be AJ's backup unless the Sox are the only team that offers him a job.

Edited by scenario

QUOTE (Soxbadger @ Mar 7, 2009 -> 06:52 PM)
In today's WBC game they said that he was just looking for anywhere to play, and that he didnt need to be a starter. Or at least thats what they claimed he told them.

If that's truly the case, he'll get a job somewhere, unless he's asking for starter money in a backup position.

My guess is he and his agent are betting a solid performance in the WBC would increase his odds of both making more money and having an opportunity for more playing time, and thus, he didn't accept any backup offers prior to the tournament. Not much of a risk by my calculations, as an offer would undoubtedly be there in some capacity even had he bombed in the WBC...

For all of those who want us to chase Rodriguez, let me ask this question... Why would he want to come to Chicago? He isn't going to get more than 50 games, and a very low salary here. Even if the money is bad else where, someone has to be offering more than a 30-50 games a season back up position.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Mar 7, 2009 -> 08:09 PM)
For all of those who want us to chase Rodriguez, let me ask this question... Why would he want to come to Chicago? He isn't going to get more than 50 games, and a very low salary here. Even if the money is bad else where, someone has to be offering more than a 30-50 games a season back up position.

I dont know, AJ might not be happy but I wouldnt mind Pudge getting atleast 1 start per series, and if he hits a particular hot streak or AJ gets cold can ride him out. Even so, he will go to whatever team offers him a contract, economy is bad and players cant afford to be picky anymore. Oh, and if AJ has a problem with it he can grow up, this is professional baseball he is making a good amount of money, he should be able to make personal sacrafices for the good of the team.

Edited by SoxFan101

QUOTE (Cubano @ Mar 7, 2009 -> 09:06 PM)
He will end up with the Mets as a starter.

I wish he would end up with the White Sox as the starter.

Even though he:

- Didn't bring a World Series to Chicago baby(Bringing one to Florida is nuttin!)

- Sucks at baserunning (According to Hawk/WSox fans: Running the bases is 99% instincts/skill and only 1% speed)

- Doesn't love WWF Wrestling (It's not fake, they are f***ing professional athletes, they really get hurt; everybody knows that)

- Isn't Polish (Too many damn Latins on the team already, This is America!)

- Would be trouble in the clubhouse (Any on-mound jawing with Javy, is Javy's fault)

- Actually throws out baserunners (Mike MacDougal would just assume you let him concentrate on the batter)

- Will not rock a peroxide mullet (Hard to relate to a guy with a crew cut, I like a guy that looks like my mechanic)

- Does not call a great game (Or relay the signals from Cora/Coop as well)

- Is not a mother f***iing grinder (See "Isn't Polish" bullet)

- He prolly loves the Cubs and he definitely has no idea how the second verse in "Don't Stop Believin'" goes (That is the tipping point)

Edited by GREEDY

QUOTE (GREEDY @ Mar 7, 2009 -> 09:58 PM)

Even though he:

- Didn't bring a World Series to Chicago baby(Bringing one to Florida is nuttin!)

- Sucks at baserunning (According to Hawk/WSox fans: Running the bases is 99% instincts/skill and only 1% speed)

- Doesn't love WWF Wrestling (It's not fake, they are f***ing professional athletes, they really get hurt; everybody knows that)

- Would be trouble in the clubhouse (Any on-mound jawing with Javy, is Javy's fault)

- Actually throws out baserunners (Mike MacDougal would just assume you let him concentrate on the batter)

- Will not rock a peroxide mullet (Hard to relate to a guy with a crew cut, I like a guy that looks like my mechanic)

- He prolly loves the Cubs and he definitely has no idea how the second verse in "Don't Stop Believin'" goes (That is the tipping point)

Did AJ piss in your cereal?

Even though he:

:lolhitting