Ivan Rodriguez?

ozzfest

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Mar 8, 2009 -> 02:09 AM)
For all of those who want us to chase Rodriguez, let me ask this question... Why would he want to come to Chicago? He isn't going to get more than 50 games, and a very low salary here. Even if the money is bad else where, someone has to be offering more than a 30-50 games a season back up position.

Besides the fact that when we throw out possible offers of $1M or "cheap", etc, maybe we need to ask Ivan Rodriguez just what he wants and would accept. I agree he is showing some good lumber in the WBC, but he would still be a platoon player in Chitown limited to probbaly 30 or so games starting. One of the guys we have in camp now can do that job and it would be cheaper for the Sox.

Edited by elrockinMT

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What teams are still looking for a starting catcher? I heard Florida had some interest in him. But yea i'd give him 2 million to be AJs backup/ pinch hitter/ late inning defensive replacement- the dude still has a cannon for an arm. The problem is, will he accept such a role?

QUOTE (WinningUgly85 @ Mar 8, 2009 -> 12:14 PM)
the guys an asshole so no.

Everything about this post is 110% f***ing awesome! :notworthy

Yea, no Sox fan could tolerate, let alone LOVE an asshole catcher.

Tell me you own a "Kiss the Ring b****" 05 TShirt... :lolhitting

QUOTE (GREEDY @ Mar 8, 2009 -> 02:48 PM)

What is your angle on this thread? To be as condescending and call AJ an asshole(without actually saying it) as many times as possible? To make fun of anyone who insinuates they like AJ?

QUOTE (GREEDY @ Mar 8, 2009 -> 01:48 PM)

Let's see.

1. He's a roider.

2. He, along with his agent, made the Tigers bid against themselves for his services because he put money ahead of winning. Then just a few months later he was already b****ing and pouting, demanding a trade because apparently he "just wanted to win."

3. He played like s*** last year.

4. He's old and near retirement.

5. Big ego.

6. Doesn't have experience working with Sox pitchers.

7. He's going to at least want incentives on top of a base MLB minimum deal.

There's seven reasons why I'd rather have Chris Stewart backing up AJ. Sorry, but I couldn't give a f*** about that guy. We're not going to win or lose this season based on the hitting performance of our backup catcher. Maybe if you tried to make a case for a FA who is actually worth a damn someone would side with you.

Edited by Kenny Hates Prospects

QUOTE (iamshack @ Mar 8, 2009 -> 03:40 PM)
Guys, let's clean this up now or the thread will be locked.

The direction this is starting to go isn't good for anyone.

Ha... as I am sure most people that READ this board understand:

All I was doing was pointing out that many people's reasoning for hating Ivan is exactly why they treasure AJ. One poster stated as his only reason for not wanting IRod as: "he is an asshole"; which to me was fairly amusing considering his signature could be mistaken AJ billboard; Who if you polled MLB fans would be the consensus #1 jerk in baseball.

I am certain I am not the only one finding the paradox amusing.

Too bad some fanboys think this means all I want to do is trash their treasured AJ, when that is far from the truth... they just don't get it.

QUOTE (GREEDY @ Mar 8, 2009 -> 07:56 PM)

All I was doing was pointing out that many people's reasoning for hating Ivan is exactly why they treasure AJ. One poster stated as his only reason for not wanting IRod as: "he is an asshole"; which to me was fairly amusing considering his signature could be mistaken AJ billboard; Who if you polled MLB fans would be the consensus #1 jerk in baseball.

Too bad some fanboys think this means all I want to do is trash their treasured AJ, when that is far from the truth... they just don't get it.

Yeah but Pierzynski hasn't hindered this ball club. I still don't understand why everyone hates aj. To me signing Ivan Rodriguez would be like another Orlando Cabrera, complaining and putting himself above the team. I remember a few games where Ivan had more then a few words for our pitchers and the fact that he argues balls and strikes…I can tell he's not someone who belongs on this team. Need I not say more look at the major reasons why we dumped Cabrera.

Edited by WinningUgly85

Look, I don't mind the spirited debate, and I am not requiring anyone to be a choirboy, but these threads are not meant to be a safe harbor for insults or a forum to challenge other posters on a personal level.

So clean it up.

QUOTE (GreatScott82 @ Mar 8, 2009 -> 12:19 PM)
What teams are still looking for a starting catcher? I heard Florida had some interest in him. But yea i'd give him 2 million to be AJs backup/ pinch hitter/ late inning defensive replacement- the dude still has a cannon for an arm. The problem is, will he accept such a role?

Exactly. If you think about it, we are talking about a guy who has earned about $115 million over his career. The difference between someone offering him say one million and two million dollars a year is negligable. Unless he has Frank Thomas's accountant, it is not going to be a big factor. If the guy is still trying to play in the majors, it is because he wants to PLAY, not sit behind someone and get into a game maybe once a week. Even if the Sox were to offer him the most, I would bet the guy wouldn't accept it because he at least wants a shot at starting. He won't get that here.

QUOTE (Kenny Hates Prospects @ Mar 8, 2009 -> 05:54 PM)
Let's see.

1. He's a roider.

2. He, along with his agent, made the Tigers bid against themselves for his services because he put money ahead of winning. Then just a few months later he was already b****ing and pouting, demanding a trade because apparently he "just wanted to win."

3. He played like s*** last year.

4. He's old and near retirement.

5. Big ego.

6. Doesn't have experience working with Sox pitchers.

7. He's going to at least want incentives on top of a base MLB minimum deal.

There's seven reasons why I'd rather have Chris Stewart backing up AJ. Sorry, but I couldn't give a f*** about that guy. We're not going to win or lose this season based on the hitting performance of our backup catcher. Maybe if you tried to make a case for a FA who is actually worth a damn someone would side with you.

You actually forgot Ivan's biggest weakness... he doesn't have enough baseball smarts to call a game. Now, every catcher gets some degree of guidance of course. but I-Roid has to have everything sent in from the dugout, every pitch call.

Sounds like someone is overcompensating for something...

I can't argue with the negatives about Rodriguez. However, catcher is the one position that if the Sox suffered a major injury, there would not be someone in the organization that would be able to adequately fill the void of losing AJ. Flowers is clearly a defensive liability until he gets some minor league experience. Having Rodriguez catch and DH could win the Sox a few more games which could be the difference even if AJ stays healthy. If AJ gets hurt, Rodriguez could save the season. I know the free agent market is down, but the Sox paid 2.25 million for Toby Hall. If they sign IRod cheap enough and some steroid story comes out or he is a clubhouse cancer, then just release him.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Mar 9, 2009 -> 08:12 AM)
Sounds like someone is overcompensating for something...

I hope not....

Dating back to my original post (which got buried quick) I was just trying to point out that people (not just here) are saying they don't want IRod for the exact same reasons that they love AJ.

That is all.

Didn't mean to upset anyone or cause trouble.

I think I-Roid would be an invaluable addition to this team, picking up some at bats as backup catcher (and defensive replacement... ugh watching teams run on us gets old), and he could also backup at 1B I'm sure and get some DH at bats.

Y'alls is nuts to not want the guy.

QUOTE (103 mph screwball @ Mar 9, 2009 -> 08:23 AM)
I can't argue with the negatives about Rodriguez. However, catcher is the one position that if the Sox suffered a major injury, there would not be someone in the organization that would be able to adequately fill the void of losing AJ. Flowers is clearly a defensive liability until he gets some minor league experience. Having Rodriguez catch and DH could win the Sox a few more games which could be the difference even if AJ stays healthy. If AJ gets hurt, Rodriguez could save the season. I know the free agent market is down, but the Sox paid 2.25 million for Toby Hall. If they sign IRod cheap enough and some steroid story comes out or he is a clubhouse cancer, then just release him.

I agree 100% about the Sox catching situation. I don't think Rodriquez is the answer though. I think he's cooked. If AJP goes down, the White Sox are screwed. Big time. Flowers is the only guy who may be able to handle the job offensively everyday, and even then we are talking about a guy who hasn't played above A ball, and a guy, who if he caught everyday would be on a first name basis with the M&Ms guy within a week what with all the time he would be back by him to pick up a ball. I have always liked Lucy, but he's a back-up at best and I don't know about his injury. Stewart hit lefties well last year. Can he do it again? Very questionable. AJP going down for 2 or 3 weeks could be enough to knock this team down several pegs in the standings. Of course, they have gotten away with it for a few years now, but AJ is getting older and at the age catchers start to decline rapidly. If you could actually downgrade from Toby Hall, the White Sox have done it.

Edited by Dick Allen

Some other veteran catchers that might be available for little:

John Buck, KC - $2.9M in '09

Miguel Olivo, KC - $2.7M in '09, MO for 2010

Jeff Mathis, LAA - minimum or near it

Ramon Castro, NYM - $2.5M in '09

Yorvit Torrealba, COL - $3.5M in '09, $4M MO for 2010 w/ $0.5M buyout

****Mike MacDougal's contract: $2.65M in '09, $3.75M TO in 2010 w/ $0.35M buyout***

Olivo is probably staying as their starter, but it looks like KC has given up on Buck. MacDougal and 'spect like Russell or something for Buck?

Mathis would probably be the hardest to acquire and would require a decent prospect, but he's going to lose a lot of playing time to Napoli this year because Napoli broke out in '08. Mathis could still become a good player though. Unlikely we'd get him IMO.

Torrealba probably makes too much money as he's owed $4M total including the buyout. MacDougal for Torrealba + prospect to cover the $1.35M the Sox would take on?

Ramon Castro makes the most sense of any I think. The Mets supposedly want to go with Cancel as a backup, who is also cheaper, but no one would take Castro's salary. A Castro for MacDougal + Russell deal makes sense for both teams. MacDougal doesn't have to be on the 40-man roster, so the Mets replace Castro with a pen arm with some upside, plus the Sox get a backup to AJ while actually cutting a small bit of salary. Castro has a rep for being a strong defensive catcher that the pitchers like and is also a vet who hit .277 vs. lefties last year. Castro is .263/.335/.430 vs. LHP over his career.

Edited by Kenny Hates Prospects