Big East Tournament

Another year of Big East basketball is over.

This was arguably the toughest conference in college basketball this year. Thirteen teams in the conference have a chance for the postseason (NCAA or NIT), and there could be three #1 seeds in the NCAA's come out of the BEC.

The tourney starts March 10.

09tourney.jpg

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Regular season record:

Big East Basketball Standings
TEAM	        CON	GB	OVR
Louisville #6	16-2	-	25-5
Pittsburgh #4	15-3	1	28-3
Connecticut #1	15-3	1	27-3
Villanova #16	13-5	3	25-6
Marquette #15	12-6	4	23-8
Syracuse #25	11-7	5	23-8
West Virginia	10-8	6	21-10
Providence	10-8	6	18-12
Cincinnati	8-10	8	18-13
Notre Dame	8-10	8	17-13
Georgetown	7-11	9	16-13
Seton Hall	7-11	9	16-14
St. John's	6-12	10	15-16
South Florida	4-14	12	9-21
Rutgers     	2-16	14	11-20
DePaul	        0-18	16	8-23

I think it's stupid having all 16 teams in New York and single and double byes and all that stuff. Making teams earn their way to New York by playing into the top 12 was a better system in my opinion. This still should be a fantastic tournament, once you get past the first round which could be pretty sleepy.

QUOTE (knightni @ Mar 8, 2009 -> 11:29 PM)
If I was DePaul, I'd be looking to get into C-USA and trade with Memphis.

Bring over Memphis to the Big East. Boy, THAT would be fun.

That will never happen, but would be fantastic. I'm not sure why Memphis doesn't join a real league in basketball anyways, what they do in C-USA can't be all that beneficial, being basically unchallenged. DePaul made such a mistake joining the Big East, never will get why they did that either.

QUOTE (knightni @ Mar 8, 2009 -> 11:29 PM)
If I was DePaul, I'd be looking to get into C-USA and trade with Memphis.

Bring over Memphis to the Big East. Boy, THAT would be fun.

They're a John Wall away from one of the top recruiting classes EVER! They might not lose another conference game until, like, 2012. I think it's safe to say they no longer qualify as a mid-major program.

QUOTE (whitesoxfan101 @ Mar 9, 2009 -> 12:31 AM)
That will never happen, but would be fantastic. I'm not sure why Memphis doesn't join a real league in basketball anyways, what they do in C-USA can't be all that beneficial, being basically unchallenged. DePaul made such a mistake joining the Big East, never will get why they did that either.

It basically guarantees them a high seed every year and thus longer runs in the NCAA tournament and more exposure. They can play a tough non conference schedule and as long as they do decent in it they get to run the table in Conference USA and get a high seed.

QUOTE (whitesoxfan99 @ Mar 9, 2009 -> 12:34 AM)
It basically guarantees them a high seed every year and thus longer runs in the NCAA tournament and more exposure. They can play a tough non conference schedule and as long as they do decent in it they get to run the table in Conference USA and get a high seed.

Yeah they are going to be overseeded this year. They play GREAT defense and have very good talent, but not as much as in recent years. If they play a team that can score and play reasonable defense, they will be in deep s*** because Tyreke Evans is a fantastic player, but not a point guard at all.

Edited by whitesoxfan101

I was gonna take a couple days off to go to the tourney but I didnt realize how expensive seats were.

As for the format, I like it. I think its better than the top 12 before. It's a revenue generator of course, but it also gives teams like DePaul/St. Johns's etc one more chance on a larger stage than the regular season.

QUOTE (whitesoxfan101 @ Mar 9, 2009 -> 12:27 AM)
I think it's stupid having all 16 teams in New York and single and double byes and all that stuff. Making teams earn their way to New York by playing into the top 12 was a better system in my opinion. This still should be a fantastic tournament, once you get past the first round which could be pretty sleepy.

I like giving those bottom teams a chance to still make the tourney with one last run. Will a 13-16 seed ever win 5 straight? No, but I still think its good that they theoretically have a chance.

This just shows you how a tournament setting is a whole different animal. One and done and funny things will happen. I tell you what though Tucker & Koshal are big timers. The rest of DePaul's cast is just putrid though.

Edited by JuiceCruz16

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ Mar 8, 2009 -> 11:32 PM)
They're a John Wall away from one of the top recruiting classes EVER! They might not lose another conference game until, like, 2012. I think it's safe to say they no longer qualify as a mid-major program.

Memphis was never a mid major. They have been a power plenty of times during the years they were known as Memphis State. Louisville would battle them year in and year out. They stayed put when others left, which has surrounded them with mid major teams in their confrence, but Memphis has long been a big time program.

I go to DePaul and since when do they use a 16 team format? I could've swore it was 12, not that I'm complaining. I think they could reasonably beat Providence, at least should make a game of it.

DePaul really should be in conference USA in terms of competition. At least for a couple more years they have Koshwal, Tucker and Kelly to build around. Now if only they could recruit.