Good Lord... (Stephen Strasburg)

Many of you here have probably seen this, but I just watched this for the first time.

. Hope the Nats end up with him because he needs to stay the f*** out of the American League.

He throws mostly fastballs and sliders, but he gets a change in there that pulls some crazy Houdini disappearing act s***.

Edited by Kenny Hates Prospects

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (BearSox @ Mar 9, 2009 -> 08:45 PM)
What's the velocity on his fastball? He's got really good movement on it, and that slider is really good as well.

high 90s...can touch 100...olenys article on espn said one scout had him between 100-102 at times...

The scout Olney talked to said he was the best pitching prospect he had ever seen. He had 45 ks in 21 innings, throws 99-102 with movement. The scout said batters look like they are attempting to play a video game they had never seen before when he pitches. They have no idea how to handle him. The scout said he's better than AJ Burnett right now. He said he would be a #1 or #2 starter right now. Of course I also read back when Gavin Floyd was drafted out of HS, that he was ready to step into a major league rotation. His agent is Boras so he may not be signable except for a couple of teams.

QUOTE (BearSox @ Mar 9, 2009 -> 06:45 PM)
What's the velocity on his fastball? He's got really good movement on it, and that slider is really good as well.

If anyone ventures into the college baseball thread I made a couple posts about him. Two or three games ago multiple scouts had him at 101 and 102. The guy is absolutely filthy.

So... if the new owners of the Padres are really smart... should they should dump Jake Peavy now, guarantee themselves last place in MLB, and save a little coin in the process, so they can afford to sign the local wonderboy?

QUOTE (scenario @ Mar 10, 2009 -> 12:44 PM)
So... if the new owners of the Padres are really smart... should they should dump Jake Peavy now, guarantee themselves last place in MLB, and save a little coin in the process, so they can afford to sign the local wonderboy?

Isn't Washington guaranteed the #1 pick until they actaully sign someone. Could they not take this guy every year.....

Yeah, you're right. I wasn't thinking clearly. It's this years draft, so it's last years records that matter. Duh. (Not enough caffeine this morning.)

The Nats get the #1 pick due to their pathetic 2008 record and the #10 (I think) pick as compensation for not signing Aaron Crow.

Playing for the Nationals. Yikes. If the choice was between that and death, death looks pretty good.

Edited by scenario

QUOTE (scenario @ Mar 10, 2009 -> 12:59 PM)
Yeah, you're right. I wasn't thinking clearly. It's this years draft, so it's last years records that matter. Duh. (Not enough caffeine this morning.)

The Nats get the #1 pick due to their pathetic 2008 record and the #10 (I think) pick as compensation for not signing Aaron Crow.

Playing for the Nationals. Yikes. If the choice was between that and death, death looks pretty good.

If they get a competent GM, this draft can be what sets the franchise on the right course. They got a couple pieces on the big league team with Ryan Zimmerman and Lastings Milledge. John Lannan looks like he will atleast be a middle of the rotation guy. Also if he can stay out of trouble Elijah Dukes showed flashes last season of being a dangerous hitter and their top prospect Zimmerman looks like a future top of the rotation guy.

I think a good GM can turn around the franchise in relatively few years.

• 2 weeks later...
QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Mar 21, 2009 -> 07:14 PM)
Gammons says the rumor is Boras wants $50 million for him and will send him to Japan if he doesn't get it. The draft must be slotted.

Yeah. Bad feeling he could end up with the Tigers, if he starts slipping. MLB draft is the only draft (well NFL sometimes this happens, but not like MLB) where the best players do not go to the worst teams. That really needs to change.

I hope one day teams will stop negotiating with Boras. I got no problem with someone wanting to get a lot of money, but this is getting ridiculous. There really needs to be a set salary for each slot that can't be broken. The NFL needs that as well.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Mar 21, 2009 -> 07:14 PM)
Gammons says the rumor is Boras wants $50 million for him and will send him to Japan if he doesn't get it. The draft must be slotted.

So if you are Washington, is it worth it to pony up $50 million for what could be the face to rescue your franchise, or the face that sinks it if he either is the next Brien Taylor or Mark Prior?

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Mar 21, 2009 -> 10:53 PM)
So if you are Washington, is it worth it to pony up $50 million for what could be the face to rescue your franchise, or the face that sinks it if he either is the next Brien Taylor or Mark Prior?

Is it like $50M in a contract? Because 6 years @ $6.5M/year from 2010-2015 with an $8M signing bonus and a TO for say $18M in 2016 with a $3M buyout would altogether be $50M guaranteed. A deal like that could work out wonderfully for any team, but true, if he snaps his arm off or something then it could be devasting on the Nats.

I say they should do it though. I don't see any reason they shouldn't. That team is dead in the water and the risk at this stage would definitely be worth it because they're going to need a LOT of help if they want to draw fans. They've got a beautiful new park, but the combination of s***ty baseball team + s***ty economy + new team without a local fanbase raised on Nats baseball = uh oh.

I'll say this about Borass: he's probably the worst agent in the game when it comes to negotiating a fair or better contract for a player who is decent or worse, and of all the agents out there he has to be the biggest douchebag cocksucker of them all, but when it comes to his superstars, he's got that rape choke down pat.

Edited by Kenny Hates Prospects

QUOTE (maggsmaggs @ Mar 21, 2009 -> 07:59 PM)
Yeah. Bad feeling he could end up with the Tigers, if he starts slipping. MLB draft is the only draft (well NFL sometimes this happens, but not like MLB) where the best players do not go to the worst teams. That really needs to change.

Det is running low on cash. Washington will take. $50M for this guy is worth it. He will be their Opening Day starter next year.

I remember watching the Olympic baseball games online, and more specifically seeing this guy pitch, and even on just my computer screen, his stuff really stood out and jumped out at you. I would think he has to be the #1 draft pick. Didn't Washington offer Mark Texiera a ton of money? I would think if they are willing to do that, they'll pay the ranson to make Strasburg a part of their organization.

Edited by whitesoxfan101