Good Lord... (Stephen Strasburg)

QUOTE (whitesoxfan101 @ Mar 22, 2009 -> 11:21 AM)
I remember watching the Olympic baseball games online, and more specifically seeing this guy pitch, and even on just my computer screen, his stuff really stood out and jumped out at you. I would think he has to be the #1 draft pick. Didn't Washington offer Mark Texiera a ton of money? I would think if they are willing to do that, they'll pay the ranson to make Strasburg a part of their organization.

Isnt Washington the same organization that failed to sign Aaron Crow over 900K? Why would they suddenly change their tune presented with the exact same situation, except now they have to pay an ungodly sum now instead of being apart by a million bucks?

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (BearSox @ Mar 21, 2009 -> 09:35 PM)
I hope one day teams will stop negotiating with Boras. I got no problem with someone wanting to get a lot of money, but this is getting ridiculous. There really needs to be a set salary for each slot that can't be broken. The NFL needs that as well.

Why? So that the owners can have more money in their pockets?

QUOTE (maggsmaggs @ Mar 21, 2009 -> 05:59 PM)
Yeah. Bad feeling he could end up with the Tigers, if he starts slipping. MLB draft is the only draft (well NFL sometimes this happens, but not like MLB) where the best players do not go to the worst teams. That really needs to change.

I don't know if the Tigers have the money to do that.

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Mar 23, 2009 -> 10:54 PM)
I don't know if the Tigers have the money to do that.

I can't find the article now, but I think I read something like the Tigers were going to lose a huge chunk of their season ticketholders and sponsors. I think they are projecting to lose about a million people in total attendance alone.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Mar 24, 2009 -> 07:42 AM)
I can't find the article now, but I think I read something like the Tigers were going to lose a huge chunk of their season ticketholders and sponsors. I think they are projecting to lose about a million people in total attendance alone.

Isn't it somewhere in Soxtalk?????? That was where I read about it.

I'm willing to bet the kid isnt a long term top of the rotation pitcher in MLB. He is an injury risk IMO already and killer velo guys dont pan out as much as they are touted in HS and college. Just an opionion, but something about a kid putting that much tourque on his shoulder and elbow worries me.

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Mar 24, 2009 -> 01:06 PM)
I'm willing to bet the kid isnt a long term top of the rotation pitcher in MLB. He is an injury risk IMO already and killer velo guys dont pan out as much as they are touted in HS and college. Just an opionion, but something about a kid putting that much tourque on his shoulder and elbow worries me.

You make a great point. Guys like Wohlers and Matt Anderson never really panned out, and Zumaya has had injury problems. And those guys were closers. That being said if I have the #1 pick I wouldn't pass on him, you just don't wanna be the team that passes on a guy like that.

QUOTE (WhiteSoxfan1986 @ Mar 25, 2009 -> 08:20 PM)
You make a great point. Guys like Wohlers and Matt Anderson never really panned out, and Zumaya has had injury problems. And those guys were closers. That being said if I have the #1 pick I wouldn't pass on him, you just don't wanna be the team that passes on a guy like that.

No, you dont. But there is something to the health of guys who throw that heat that early.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Mar 21, 2009 -> 05:14 PM)
Gammons says the rumor is Boras wants $50 million for him and will send him to Japan if he doesn't get it. The draft must be slotted.

I know that's what he's saying but it will never happen. To date I think that the largest contract to a draft pick has been about 12 million. 50 mil is 4x the biggest ever contract, that is just not going to happen, BUT, to think that he'd get about 20 million, that could be a real possibility.

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Mar 26, 2009 -> 03:59 PM)
No, you dont. But there is something to the health of guys who throw that heat that early.

Not only that, but I absolutely hate that short arm delivery he has as well as the way he curls his wrist when he throws. If a MLB pitching coach can fix his mechanics a bit while still keeping the stuff and velocity he has, then I'll feel much better about his long-term career. But for now, he's a stud.

It was hilarious... last night on Baseball Tonight they featured this kid.

They said he was can't miss, best prospect ever, blah blah.

Then they compared him to other amazing college pitchers.

Todd Van Poppel

Mark Prior

some other doofus

I'm over the hype. The kid is sick, but he probably won't last 5 years in the Majors.

This year would be an interesting case for being able to trade a pick. If Washington wasn't willing or able to pony up $50 million, how much talent could they get for this pick from a team with deep pockets? Instead if the Nationals are afraid of picking him, they either have to skip Strausburg, or wait another year to get a #1 pick to have in their system.

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ Mar 27, 2009 -> 08:54 AM)
It was hilarious... last night on Baseball Tonight they featured this kid.

They said he was can't miss, best prospect ever, blah blah.

Then they compared him to other amazing college pitchers.

Todd Van Poppel

Mark Prior

some other doofus

I'm over the hype. The kid is sick, but he probably won't last 5 years in the Majors.

"Hey kid, you are gonna be just as good as two flameout pitchers who had a ton of injury problems"

Man, if I was Strasburg I would be PISSED at these comparisons.

QUOTE (kyyle23 @ Mar 27, 2009 -> 09:37 AM)
"Hey kid, you are gonna be just as good as two flameout pitchers who had a ton of injury problems"

Man, if I was Strasburg I would be PISSED at these comparisons.

Well, if you were Strasburg, could I be you?

• 1 month later...