Ozzie thinks Owens isn't doing too well

Heads22

http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/chi-10-...0,5100449.story

GLENDALE, Ariz. — The biggest lineup question coming into spring training was whether Jerry Owens could stay healthy enough to finally become the White Sox's leadoff hitter.

Healthy so far, now the question has become whether Owens can get on base enough to become the leadoff hitter.

Owens' job for the taking is in danger of being taken away.

In seven spring games, the lanky left-hander is hitting only .192 with five singles, six walks and no stolen bases in three attempts.

Asked after another 0-for-4 Owens afternoon who is his leadoff hitter, manager Ozzie Guillen said Monday: "Right now I'm not leaning toward anyone because I think it's too early.

"[Owens is] in a big fight against a couple of his teammates. To step it up a notch, that's his job. My job is to see who is out there to help us and, hopefully, he'll win the job."

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (shipps @ Mar 10, 2009 -> 01:51 PM)
Is Wise the leader right now?

Possibly, although his defense in CF prob ain't the greatest.

I still think our CF on opening day could be outside the organization right now.

Owens is just shooting himself in the foot ATM, and needs to pick it up ASAP.

QUOTE (shipps @ Mar 10, 2009 -> 06:51 PM)
Is Wise the leader right now?

I would think they may give Brian Anderson a shot at the CF job again. He is by far the better defender on the 3 in camp fighting for the job now and I think he has the better upside. Wise can do the lefty scenario, but for sure as Ozzie is quoted as saying, "it's too early yet."

With Fields looking good, multiple 2B candidates also looking good, and the pitching solidifying... CF is the one position left that I see as problematic for the team. I don't like any of the 3 supposed candidates for the job. I'd really, really like to see them give Kroeger just a game or two in CF, to see if he can man the position without totally sucking.

QUOTE (fathom @ Mar 10, 2009 -> 11:37 AM)
Stay cold Jerry!

Exactly. This is some of the best news of the Spring. I hope someone reminds Ozzie, that having been caught 3 times already, JO would need at least 12 consecutive successful SB's to make that stat a positive.

At least we all know that Ozzie is acknowledging the problem, so we dont have tons of "How does Ozzie not see that Jerry Owens sucks at life!?!?" posts during gamethreads.

Well, that is until he inserts Owens into the starting lineup for opening day :) . Right now Owens has played himself out of a job, we all have to agree, but things can change by the end of the month.

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Mar 10, 2009 -> 03:06 PM)
If it has to be one of the disappointing 3, hopefully its Anderson, since he can at least defend the position.

That would pretty much force either Getz or Lillibridge to be the leadoff man, and I think the Sox are 50-50 on that scenario ATM.

Best case scenario they're hoping is that Owens claims the job, but to do that, he's really got to pick it up from here.

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Mar 10, 2009 -> 11:56 AM)
With Fields looking good, multiple 2B candidates also looking good, and the pitching solidifying... CF is the one position left that I see as problematic for the team. I don't like any of the 3 supposed candidates for the job. I'd really, really like to see them give Kroeger just a game or two in CF, to see if he can man the position without totally sucking.

We're a pretty smart group on this board, mostly, if I do say so myself. From what I've gathered from reading our postings, it seems like most of us thought that while there were numerous ?'s with 3B, 2B and CF, our options at 2B and 3B gave us confidence that these positions would work themselves out, but that CF would remain murky, at best. It's early, but it appears that's the way it's going. Kudos to us!

I'd like to learn more about Kroeger's ability, or lack thereof, to play CF. Give him a few games there at least Oswaldo. The 'outside the org' options, if there are any, I'm sure are being scoured by KW. Otherwise, go with BA if the 2B winner can also lead off. If not, pray.

I'm still somewhat confident that the body of work we get from our CF's this season will be better than the '08 production. Not saying much, I know.

QUOTE (DBAHO @ Mar 10, 2009 -> 02:12 PM)
That would pretty much force either Getz or Lillibridge to be the leadoff man, and I think the Sox are 50-50 on that scenario ATM.

Best case scenario they're hoping is that Owens claims the job, but to do that, he's really got to pick it up from here.

I think Getz is the best case, and I'd be all good with that.

I feel like this is good news, and I'm pretty much in the same boat as the majority of the comments so far posted.

But, for the sake of discussion, I will now become an irrational D'wayne 'Wayne' Wise homer:

What are you guys crazy talking about we don't have a legit option in CF? Ever Remember Wise? He hit that 3 run homer against the Rays in the playoffs? He hit that grand slam? When was the last time BA did anything with the bat besides put it back on the shelf after striking out? Wise is the next Ryan Ludwig! Clearly! He, too, a career minor leaguer. Then, starts hitting all these home runs! He's the tall, dark and handsome Ryan Ludwick, and you guys want to try out Josh Kroeger?!?! ARE YOU F&&&@& SERIOUS?!

FWIW, last season, BA post ASB had splits of .240/.283/.500 for a .783 OPS.

Albeit that only came from 50 AB's so it's a very small sample size, but if he could put up something close to that (OBP around .300 and a SLG around the .450 mark), I would certainly take that for our CF considering the defense that BA gives you.

I think at least a platoon situation b/w him and Owens in the worst case scenario if Owens is starting, should be at least explored (BA had an OPS of .824 against lefties last season).

I wish we never traded Alex Escobar.

This still doesn't work for me, Jerry Owens shouldn't have a job on a major league club because he's not talented because he has 0 major league tools not because he's struggling in March. He shouldn't have a job because he's not good.

ah yes the inevitable "The organization (aka Kenny Williams) wants jerry owens to play CF, but he sucks so we can't keep him there" article. I love KW and think he's a great GM who makes alot of astute moves, but i'm gonna criticize him a bit here, because I think this is all his doing. He didn't pursue a CF after we dealt Swisher (though I blame Ozzie for swishers departure), because he liked what we had. We have jack there. There is absolutely 0 excuse to not look at Alexei there now, especially now that it appears that SS isn't quite his "natural" position and CF might be. I'm still worried Owens will be handed this job, as ozzies comments certainly look like he is trying to light a flame under his butt to go out and win it.

BTW i know ozzie basically ran him out of town, and I do like Marquez Betemit and Nunez quite a bit, but wouldn't Swisher look pretty damn good penciled in at CF this year? Maybe I'm the only one, but I didn't hate Swisher nearly as much as soxtalk nation did, and I personally think a .340-.350 OBP with 20-25 HR and passable defense would look good in CF right now. (with the potential for that obp to be quite a big higher)

Edited by daa84