Mr Angelo, please trade for Jay Cutler!

QUOTE (MurcieOne @ Mar 19, 2009 -> 11:38 AM)
Trent Dilfer is great on NFL Live. However, if your going to use him as a part of a trend... you may want to include some additional names.

Last 12 SuperBowls

98 -- Elway, Favre (both pro bowlers)

99 -- Elway, Chandler (both pro bowlers)

00 -- Warner, McNair (both pro bowlers

01 -- Dilfer, Collins (neither pro bowlers)

02 -- Brady, Warner (both pro bowlers)

03 -- Johnson, Gannon (both pro bowlers)

04 -- Brady, Delhomme (both pro bowlers)

05 -- Brady, McNabb (both pro bowlers)

06 -- Roethlisberger, Hasselback (both pro bowlers)

07 -- Manning, Grossman (manning -- PB)

08 -- Manning, Brady (Brady -- PB)

09 -- Roethlisberger, Warner (both pro bowlers)

20 of the last 24 SB Qb's made the pro bowl. Now that fact is not without its faults... but i think its generally indicative that Trent Dilfer is an exception to the rule... and definitely not a TREND.

This is enough evidence for me! Nice Work!

• Replies 267
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Mar 22, 2009 -> 09:34 PM)
Brady is pretty much a game manager, but he's also incredibly productive. Its not as if Brady is ridiculous talented, he's just very very smart and accurate and makes quick decisions and great plays. So I think the key is you need an above average QB, but a game manager can very well be an above average QB.

I understand the tendency to look at Brady and say "he's not incredibly talented" that he's like Montana etc... not the most skilled but has the intangibles etc...

I think that tendency doesn't really do Brady justice... I think Tom Terrific has a cannon and while he might not have the abilities of Peyton Manning... he's not much worse in the throwing department. Brady can improvise with the best of them too, step up in the pocket (sans last season -- ouch) and find the 3rd or 4th option. I think Tom Brady is a top 5 quarterback because of his skill... I'd take Tom Brady over any other Quarterback in the league because of his combination of skill and intangibles.

my .02

Brady's arm really isn't that strong. Really it's not, it's nothing special, it's about average for a NFL QB (meaning, he is not Griese or Pennington). Oh, for sure he can complete those 40 yard passes to Moss, but what you see is him having the time to make the throws which is not that difficult to do when you have 6, 7, 8 seconds to make the throw. But when he sees a spot deep in front of him he needs his feet planted, you can even see him strain to wind up to make the throw. When they're in the air, they tend to sail, and they aren't the prettiest, but they get the job done, it doesn't even really matter when you're throwing to Moss anyway. This isn't that noticeable when New England is doing its typical outstanding job of pass protection, and to take nothing away from Brady, he's good about reading pre-snap defenses. When the protection starts falling apart though you can see it, but he still has Welker (who is phenomenal) to bail him out.

So, yeah, bottom line is that his arm strength is good enough, but that's not where his numbers come from, and he's not at all comparable to guys like Manning, Favre, Cutler, Culpepper, hell, even Grossman. Those guys can flip a 45-yard bomb pretty effortlessly.

QUOTE (lostfan @ Mar 23, 2009 -> 12:53 PM)
Brady's arm really isn't that strong. Really it's not, it's nothing special, it's about average for a NFL QB (meaning, he is not Griese or Pennington). Oh, for sure he can complete those 40 yard passes to Moss, but what you see is him having the time to make the throws which is not that difficult to do when you have 6, 7, 8 seconds to make the throw. But when he sees a spot deep in front of him he needs his feet planted, you can even see him strain to wind up to make the throw. When they're in the air, they tend to sail, and they aren't the prettiest, but they get the job done, it doesn't even really matter when you're throwing to Moss anyway. This isn't that noticeable when New England is doing its typical outstanding job of pass protection, and to take nothing away from Brady, he's good about reading pre-snap defenses. When the protection starts falling apart though you can see it, but he still has Welker (who is phenomenal) to bail him out.

So, yeah, bottom line is that his arm strength is good enough, but that's not where his numbers come from, and he's not at all comparable to guys like Manning, Favre, Cutler, Culpepper, hell, even Grossman. Those guys can flip a 45-yard bomb pretty effortlessly.

I'll give your opinion deference, because you live in the area and probably watch him more critically than I do. However, would you say that there are throws that Tom Brady can't make? I mean from what I saw in 07 he did have time to throw (except for XLII) but he still did hit receivers in stride, with authority. There were times when Moss simply out jumped everyone (MIA game), but I also saw a few throws where Brady hit Moss on the deep ball where he needed to make the throw -- and he did.

I guess I just feel like Brady is undervalued (haha, never thought you'd hear that -- did ya?) as a passer. In his first year you could see his deficiencies as a passer, and since then you can see that the guy really worked on his game. He will probably always be viewed as that crafty "Montana" type, but both of those guys offered more than just intangibles (Joe Montana made a sick game for Sega in the 90's).

QUOTE (MurcieOne @ Mar 23, 2009 -> 04:00 PM)
I'll give your opinion deference, because you live in the area and probably watch him more critically than I do. However, would you say that there are throws that Tom Brady can't make? I mean from what I saw in 07 he did have time to throw (except for XLII) but he still did hit receivers in stride, with authority. There were times when Moss simply out jumped everyone (MIA game), but I also saw a few throws where Brady hit Moss on the deep ball where he needed to make the throw -- and he did.

I guess I just feel like Brady is undervalued (haha, never thought you'd hear that -- did ya?) as a passer. In his first year you could see his deficiencies as a passer, and since then you can see that the guy really worked on his game. He will probably always be viewed as that crafty "Montana" type, but both of those guys offered more than just intangibles (Joe Montana made a sick game for Sega in the 90's).

Brady's just like any other QB, if you can get in his face (the thing being it's a lot harder to do that than with other QBs and he has Welker to bail him out even if you do) then he will make mistakes. If you don't give him enough time to plant and wind up, he probably won't be able to make the throw reliably. He just seems to have an insane amount of time to make throws thanks to his OL, and he's deadly accurate (the only one more accurate than him is probably Manning). That accuracy goes down on the longer throws though but it's still decent.

I actually wager to guess I don't watch Brady more than you do for what it's worth. I've just spent a fair amount of time bashing Brady on the internet, lol.

QUOTE (MurcieOne @ Mar 23, 2009 -> 01:00 PM)

Mark, I think Brady is the best QB in the league. I'm just stating that I would consider him a game manager more than a gunslinger.

QUOTE (nitetrain8601 @ Mar 24, 2009 -> 04:48 PM)
Grossman > Brady

Put the 'man on the Patriots with that O-Line, and you will see the revival of the "F It, I'm Going Deep" style of ball.

Rexy went deep on the reg.

Rexy banged b****es on the reg.

Rexy got mad paid on the reg.

and unfortunately

Rexy got picked on the reg.

QUOTE (nitetrain8601 @ Mar 24, 2009 -> 07:09 PM)
:bringit

Actually though, I still believe the Bears gave up on Terry Shea way too early considering with the small sample size of Grossman running it, they were pretty damn efficient.

Please don't bring back such awful memories :(

Just heard on 780 that a yahoo report says the Bears are interested in Cutler. I can't find it anywhere though.

Found it from yahoo

• At some point in the process, the Detroit Lions and Chicago Bears also expressed interest in Cutler. The depth of that interest is unknown, but both teams are still thought to be in play if Cutler once again becomes available.

Times reports Angelo has made a call to Denver.

http://blogs.suntimes.com/bears/2009/03/ro...bears_repo.html

Edited by whitesoxbrian

QUOTE (MexSoxFan#1 @ Mar 26, 2009 -> 12:15 AM)
Obviously Cutler would be a big upgrade at QB for us but I wouldn't trade Forte for him.

Looking at it right now, I don't know why Denver would take Forte. Yeah he is a great back, but they have like 6 running backs on their roster right now. Regardless of whether or not the Bears would give up Forte, I doubt the Broncos would ask for him in return.

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Mar 26, 2009 -> 12:42 PM)
If we got Cutler (which there is about a .9 percent chance) who in the hell would protect him?

We just signed a Right tackle (kevin shaffer) yesterday, Chris Williams , Kruetz,Garza and Beekman. Not the best OL in the world, but I bet it will be better than last year.

QUOTE (rangercal @ Mar 26, 2009 -> 11:49 AM)
We just signed a Right tackle (kevin shaffer) yesterday, Chris Williams , Kruetz,Garza and Beekman. Not the best OL in the world, but I bet it will be better than last year.

Plus they still have that guy they traded for last year(Buenning), and Omiyale. The line will be quite different this year, no doubt.

QUOTE (kyyle23 @ Mar 26, 2009 -> 12:51 PM)
Plus they still have that guy they traded for last year(Buenning), and Omiyale. The line will be quite different this year, no doubt.

you said "different" and not "better".

:lolhitting Call me crazy, but I think it is way better now. Of course if Chris Williams stubs a toe or breaks a pinky, we could be in for a long season.

QUOTE (rangercal @ Mar 26, 2009 -> 11:49 AM)

So we signed the guy that was let go so Cle could sign St.Clair, and basically a rookie at the bookends. Not exactly a good line, and not even as good as last year.

Regardless if we get Cutler (almost zero chance) or not,Chicago is where QBs go to die,how can an organization be so inept at drafting and developing quaterbacks?Look at all the other teams in the time we last had a decent qb (McMahon) and you'll notice they all have had at least a couple of above avg passers to our zero (Kramer had a decent but injury plagued career with us)...it has to be more than bad luck imo,I dunno what it is but its frustrating as hell.:(

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Mar 26, 2009 -> 01:26 PM)
So we signed the guy that was let go so Cle could sign St.Clair, and basically a rookie at the bookends. Not exactly a good line, and not even as good as last year.

Cleveland did that series of moves to cut costs. Shaffer is very solid. Chris Williams is a 1st round pick. Clady and Otah did not let the rookie title effect their performance. I have hope for Williams. He didn't suck last year, but he did not play much either. I choose to look at the glass half full.

QUOTE (MexSoxFan#1 @ Mar 26, 2009 -> 01:28 PM)
Regardless if we get Cutler (almost zero chance) or not,Chicago is where QBs go to die,how can an organization be so inept at drafting and developing quaterbacks?Look at all the other teams in the time we last had a decent qb (McMahon) and you'll notice they all have had at least a couple of above avg passers to our zero (Kramer had a decent but injury plagued career with us)...it has to be more than bad luck imo,I dunno what it is but its frustrating as hell. :(

Cutler would change all that.

QUOTE (rangercal @ Mar 26, 2009 -> 02:54 PM)
Cleveland did that series of moves to cut costs. Shaffer is very solid. Chris Williams is a 1st round pick. Clady and Otah did not let the rookie title effect their performance. I have hope for Williams. He didn't suck last year, but he did not play much either. I choose to look at the glass half full.

Williams didn't get his TC reps in, and he had to catch up, pretty similar to what a QB, RB, or MLB would go through. I'll reserve judgment on him until this coming preseason. Physically, he looked decent.