Mr Angelo, please trade for Jay Cutler!

QUOTE (rangercal @ Mar 26, 2009 -> 01:54 PM)
Cleveland did that series of moves to cut costs. Shaffer is very solid. Chris Williams is a 1st round pick. Clady and Otah did not let the rookie title effect their performance. I have hope for Williams. He didn't suck last year, but he did not play much either. I choose to look at the glass half full.

One of my better friends is a Browns fan and he says that Shaffer was terrible last year. His strength was never pass blocking, but it was downright bad last year and his run blocking, which is his strength supposedly, wasn't all that great last year.

• Replies 267
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (whitesoxbrian @ Mar 26, 2009 -> 09:59 PM)
One of my better friends is a Browns fan and he says that Shaffer was terrible last year. His strength was never pass blocking, but it was downright bad last year and his run blocking, which is his strength supposedly, wasn't all that great last year.

I'm pretty sure most of the browns line had a bad year, most of the offense actually. Hopefully it was just a bad year and not an early decline.

QUOTE (whitesoxbrian @ Mar 26, 2009 -> 08:59 PM)

If Shaffer was that good... he'd still be a Brown. However, he has experience and he's huge... so maybe he can be salvaged and this coaching staff can coach him to be a better player (not likely).

QUOTE (MurcieOne @ Mar 27, 2009 -> 12:10 AM)
If Shaffer was that good... he'd still be a Brown. However, he has experience and he's huge... so maybe he can be salvaged and this coaching staff can coach him to be a better player (not likely).

Do you respect Mangini that much where you would think that?

check out the comments at the bottom of the page, when the Browns released him

http://www.ohio.com/sports/41191037.html

Edited by rangercal

CUTLER OFFICIALLY AVAILABLE

The Denver Broncos stopped playing games with their unhappy quarterback. Jay Cutler is available in a trade.

The team announced Tuesday night that they will start trade talks for Jay Cutler. Cutler continues to stay away from the team and refuses to respond to their calls or text messages.

ESPN.com

This will never happen because:

1. It would cost the Bears money.

2. The Bears suck, and don't have the ammo to make such a trade even if they want to.

I hope I'm wrong, but I doubt it. And Jerry Angelo SHOULD get blame when Cutler is dealt somewhere else, but not because he didn't try to deal for him. The blame he should get is because the roster he assembled is full of holes and didn't have enough ammo to make the deal happen. Although even if they did, it would be 50/50 if the ownership would loosen the purse strings enough to allow the deal to happen anyways. (Can you tell I'm pissed at the Bears?)

Edited by whitesoxfan101

QUOTE (whitesoxfan101 @ Mar 31, 2009 -> 10:12 PM)

2. The Bears suck, and don't have the ammo to make such a trade even if they want to.

I hope I'm wrong, but I doubt it. And Jerry Angelo SHOULD get blame when Cutler is dealt somewhere else, but not because he didn't try to deal for him. The blame he should get is because the roster he assembled is full of holes and didn't have enough ammo to make the deal happen. Although even if they did, it would be 50/50 if the ownership would loosen the purse strings enough to allow the deal to happen anyways. (Can you tell I'm pissed at the Bears?)

I dunno, draft picks carry a lot of weight in the NFL.

edit: Also there really is no merit to saying Angelo won't spend money, because he does.

Edited by lostfan

QUOTE (lostfan @ Mar 31, 2009 -> 09:29 PM)
I dunno, draft picks carry a lot of weight in the NFL.

edit: Also there really is no merit to saying Angelo won't spend money, because he does.

Angelo doesn't control the purse strings as much as the people above him do in my opinion. In that sense, I blame Ted Phillips more for this free agency season than Angelo, so I guess I should say that to be fair.

As for draft picks, you are right that they carry a lot of weight in the NFL. That's why I think Cutler will end up in Detroit.

QUOTE (whitesoxfan101 @ Mar 31, 2009 -> 10:31 PM)
Angelo doesn't control the purse strings as much as the people above him do in my opinion. In that sense, I blame Ted Phillips more for this free agency season than Angelo, so I guess I should say that to be fair.

As for draft picks, you are right that they carry a lot of weight in the NFL. That's why I think Cutler will end up in Detroit.

If the performance level is there and the investment justifies it they will pay for the player. That includes a QB, if the Bears had Peyton Manning you'd best believe he'd be getting his cash. The problem isn't with paying a QB, I don't even know why the Bears get criticized for this. The problem is getting one which they have been a consistent epic fail at doing for almost my whole life. And franchise QBs almost never reach free agency.

And Detroit does have the ammo, I agree with you there.

Edited by lostfan

Detroit would give up a 1st and a 3rd, and still have a 1st, 2nd, and 3rd. :(

They'd probably take Jason Smith then with the 1st overall pick. Cherilus had a solid rookie year at RT so Smith and him on the corners would make it awfully tough to hit Cutler. Give them Duke Robinson with their 2nd and their OL becomes scary.

Edited by whitesoxbrian

QUOTE (whitesoxfan101 @ Mar 31, 2009 -> 10:12 PM)

1. Have you looked at the Bears payrolls through the years? Do you know as a fact that they are always toward the bottom?

2. Every team in the NFL has ammo. The NFL draft is just around the corner. Do you really think it is a coincidence the Broncos are putting him on the block right before the draft?

If you are going to crap in this thread with your negativity, at least throw some facts our way.

I choose to be cautiously optimistic for the following reasons....

1. Jerry Angelo's quotes about Orton and the QB situation not long after the season ended.

2. The lack of big spending as of yet. You have to admit, the Bears have made plenty of moves since 2004 (fa signings or trade). The money is there and will be spent in some form . There is almost 10 mil left after the rookie cap is spent.

3. All these little side signings. The shaffer signing for example, makes our 1st round draft pick a little more expendable. (don't mistake that with expendable).

Edited by rangercal

QUOTE (lostfan @ Mar 31, 2009 -> 07:36 PM)
And Detroit does have the ammo, I agree with you there.

The Bears could have the ammo, depending on what Denver wants. Without knowing their financial situation it's hard to know whether they'd be willing to take the cap hit on the #1 pick. Few teams are. The Bears have a mid first rounder this year and presumably what would be a late first rounder with Cutler next year, along with a QB who can at least be called serviceable as a bridge to someone else should the Broncos draft one. That's not the worst package I could come up with.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Mar 31, 2009 -> 10:40 PM)
The Bears could have the ammo, depending on what Denver wants. Without knowing their financial situation it's hard to know whether they'd be willing to take the cap hit on the #1 pick. Few teams are. The Bears have a mid first rounder this year and presumably what would be a late first rounder with Cutler next year, along with a QB who can at least be called serviceable as a bridge to someone else should the Broncos draft one. That's not the worst package I could come up with.

The #1 is an albatross if you don't want it, but they still do have the #20.

QUOTE (rangercal @ Mar 31, 2009 -> 08:41 PM)
Does Cutler have a say where he goes? Because I can see him pouting in a trade to Detroit. I could also see Denver trading him specifically to Detroit just to spite him.

Somewhere I read "he'd OK a trade to us or TEN" so I'm not sure.

QUOTE (lostfan @ Mar 31, 2009 -> 07:42 PM)
The #1 is an albatross if you don't want it, but they still do have the #20.

They certainly do, but #18 is higher than that, Kyle Orton is at least a step above Dan Orlovsky, and who knows exactly what each team can come to play with.

If it costs the Bears more than 2 first rounders + Orton to beat whatever the Lions offer, the price is way too steep. If someone's going to give the Broncos a stupid offer for a guy holding out, then you have to let them.

QUOTE (rangercal @ Mar 31, 2009 -> 09:40 PM)
1. Have you looked at the Bears payrolls through the years? Do you know as a fact that they are always toward the bottom?

2. Every team in the NFL has ammo. The NFL draft is just around the corner. Do you really think it is a coincidence the Broncos are putting him on the block right before the draft?

If you are going to crap in this thread with your negativity, at least throw some facts our way.

I choose to be cautiously optimistic for the following reasons....

1. Jerry Angelo's quotes about Orton and the QB situation not long after the season ended.

2. The lack of big spending as of yet. You have to admit, the Bears have made plenty of moves since 2004 (fa signings or trade). The money is there and will be spent in some form . There is almost 10 mil left after the rookie cap is spent.

3. All these little side signings. The shaffer signing for example, makes our 1st round draft pick a little more expendable. (don't mistake that with expendable).

The Bears unwillingness to spend money is definitely a RECENT trend, I am not saying they are a cheap franchise, I am just saying they have been lately (basically since after the Super Bowl ended). The only real things they've done since then is give out one expensive and in my opinion wise contract in Lance Briggs, and some absolutely idiotic contract extensions (Tommie Harris and Brian Urlacher come to mind).

Edited by whitesoxfan101

QUOTE (whitesoxfan101 @ Mar 31, 2009 -> 07:44 PM)
The Bears unwillingness to spend money is definitely a RECENT trend, I am not saying they are a cheap franchise, I am just saying they have been lately (basically since after the Super Bowl ended).

Their use of their entire cap every year since then argues against you. If it's a recent trend, it's a this-year trend. Frankly though I wouldn't be surprised at all if they were cutting back salary this year if they think their ticket base is weakening.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Mar 31, 2009 -> 09:45 PM)
Their use of their entire cap every year since then argues against you. If it's a recent trend, it's a this-year trend. Frankly though I wouldn't be surprised at all if they were cutting back salary this year if they think their ticket base is weakening.

If that's the case, then the idiotic contract extensions I've mentioned were more expensive than I realized, something I'm willing to admit I was possibly off on.

QUOTE (whitesoxfan101 @ Mar 31, 2009 -> 07:47 PM)
If that's the case, then the idiotic contract extensions I've mentioned were more expensive than I realized, something I'm willing to admit I was possibly off on.

The Bears were closer to using up their 2008 cap space than any other team in the league. I think 2007 they were close to that as well. Argue that they're putting their money in the wrong places, argue that they're going cheap this year, but the data doesn't back up a claim of cheapness in the last couple.