SoxTalk's Managerial Choices

Marky Mark

If you were Ozzie and Kenny and spring training was over today....  

102 members have voted

1. 1. Who would you choose as the opening day centerfielder?

• Jerry Owens
    • Brian Anderson
    • Dwayne Wise
    • Alexei Ramirez
    • David Cook
    • Josh Kroeger
    • Trade for Rob Mackowiak
  2. 2. Who would you choose as the opening day 2nd basemen?

• Chris Getz
    • Jayson Nix
    • Brent Lillibridge
    • Gordon Beckham
    • Wilson Betemit
  3. 3. Who would you choose as the opening day leadoff hitter?

• Chris Getz
    • Jerry Owens
    • Dwayne Wise
    • Gordon Beckham
    • Alexei Ramirez
    • Brent Lillibridge
    • Jayson Nix
    • AJ Pierzynski
    • Konerko, Thome, Dye, or Fields, CQ, um......

QUOTE (Fantl916 @ Mar 10, 2009 -> 11:23 PM)
Where is Josh Kroeger amongst these options?

Actually I forgot about him when I was doing the CF options. For some reason he's not on the Sox spring training stats list on the official MLB Sox page. Mods you can add him into the CF poll if you'd like.

a lot of things are going to have to go right for us to win the division again, so i figure why not experiment with what a lot of us here think might be good choices

starting CF: alexei

starting 2B: getz

starting SS/LeadOff: beckham

you could probably flip-flop getz/beckham 1/2, both could be exciting to watch at the top of the lineup for sure

WE NEED BECKHAM IN OUR LINEUP!!!!! Maybe I'm getting ahead of myself but I think he is a beast. I don't see why he isn't getting more consideration right now for at least 2b, if not shortstop by moving lexi to center. but we do need speed in our lineup. Getz? otherwise its owens or d-weezy

QUOTE (whitesox32 @ Mar 11, 2009 -> 01:06 AM)
WE NEED BECKHAM IN OUR LINEUP!!!!! Maybe I'm getting ahead of myself but I think he is a beast. I don't see why he isn't getting more consideration right now for at least 2b, if not shortstop by moving lexi to center. but we do need speed in our lineup. Getz? otherwise its owens or d-weezy

I have no reason whatsoever to be certain about this, but I'd wager Beckham is getting a serious look from Ozzie/KW. Serious, serious look. They can't come out and say it, of course, because of all the other MI talent and because Becks is SOOO green. But with the undeniable raw talent he's demonstrated...well, let's just say neither Ozzie nor KW are idiots. You have to look at him.

I still want to see an Anderson/Kroeger platoon in CF. This is contingent on Kroeger being able to handle center but I've read that he has above average speed and arm strength and that he can play CF. Also, CF at the Cell is smaller and a bit easier to play than at other parks.

They would compliment each other well, especially with Kroeger handling all the righties we would still have BA on the bench as a late inning defensive replacement at all 3 outfield spots.

I get it, but then I don't get it ya kno... it's crazy. Nix is obviously the better player, but Getz is more of a sure thing to succeed. Then there's Lillibridge who is just as risky (and talented) as Nix, but fits the leadoff hitter profile probably the best out of the three. (Oz already said he doesn't want to put Getz at the leadoff, and sees him more as a 9th hitter, or real good #2 hitter, which I like him to be) I'm torn. Best case is they try Alexei at CF, Lilli at SS and Getz at 2B. But it's on Lillibridge. That kid has got to hit, which I honestly don't see him doing. So more than likely, Getz will probably be forced somewhere in the line-up unless it's 9th (he's MLB ready at least.. way more ready than the other two, though Nix had a good year in AAA last season as well) Regardless they are either keeping the seat warm for Beckham, or trade bait/a good problem to have next season) I still think Beckham needs some more time, at least rush him to AAA if the sox think he can handle it.

QUOTE (SoxAce @ Mar 11, 2009 -> 12:27 AM)
I get it, but then I don't get it ya kno... it's crazy. Nix is obviously the better player, but Getz is more of a sure thing to succeed. Then there's Lillibridge who is just as risky (and talented) as Nix, but fits the leadoff hitter profile probably the best out of the three. (Oz already said he doesn't want to put Getz at the leadoff, and sees him more as a 9th hitter, or real good #2 hitter, which I like him to be) I'm torn. Best case is they try Alexei at CF, Lilli at SS and Getz at 2B. But it's on Lillibridge. That kid has got to hit, which I honestly don't see him doing. So more than likely, Getz will probably be forced somewhere in the line-up unless it's 9th (he's MLB ready at least.. way more ready than the other two, though Nix had a good year in AAA last season as well) Regardless they are either keeping the seat warm for Beckham, or trade bait/a good problem to have next season) I still think Beckham needs some more time, at least rush him to AAA if the sox think he can handle it.

We don't know that Nix is "obviously" better than Getz. He does have a better pedigree and purportedly gold glove level defense but we really haven't seen what he can do at the plate. His numbers from the minor leagues suggest that he has below average plate discipline and with Jerry Owens poor spring so far it is looking more and more like our 2B will need to be able to lead off for us, we really just don't have any other options. Getz profiles as the best leadoff that we have as he has great BB/K ratios and also has some good speed. Lilli would look great at leadoff but it looks like he can't hit a lick so it's really just down to Getz and Nix. If we had someone else who could take the top spot in the order I'd really like to see Nix' defense at 2B but as it is, we can't afford to have him in the lineup without bringing someone in to leadoff.

I think they need to let Kroeger play every day in CF in AAA for at least a month before they throw him out there into center with the Sox.

I wouldn't even want them to convert Alexei back to CF with only three weeks of ST left, but I guess I could live with it...though only if I knew it meant that Owens would be out of the organization altogether.

What everyone has to be afraid of happening is that Owens/Anderson/Wise will struggle and then the White Sox will either have to put Ramirez out there and bring up Beckham, 2) use Kroeger, 3) make a trade or find someone off the scrap heap like Jim Edmonds. It seems that you don't win the AL Central in April and May, but the Tigers in 2008 and the White Sox in 2007 certainly proved you could lose it with one or two bad months of play.

We'll see if Kroeger and Corky Miller can keep up their level of play the next 3-4 weeks. Same with Beckham and Nix...and we'll have to hope that Lillibridge, Anderson and/or Owens wake up. Wise just isn't a regular starting player...at best, he should be part of a platoon with Anderson.

for a month, I want to see Anderson in CF, getz at 2b and ramirez at SS...if after a month beckham is ripping up the minors and Anderson is what Anderson is...I want to see Alexei in CF, beckham at SS and getz at 2b....

BTW I like Jayson Nix too. If he comes back healthy and rips the ball for the rest of ST like he did, Id be ok with him at 2b, but then I have no idea who will leadoff. My guess would be that ozzie goes with Dweezy. I really want no part of Brent Lillibirdge, as he was last seen putting up a .294 obp with a .344 slugging in AAA (Getz was .366 .448 and Nix was a robust .373 .591, which is honestly a HUGE slg). Frankly it seems like Lillibridge will fill the Juan Uribe role of providing good defense at the middle IF with limited on base ability, lots of Ks. However he will have less power, more speed and can probably play CF a bit

EDIT I voted for trading for Mackowiak for each one, as I'm not yet sure exactly what the answer is, and I think we need to see more of the options considered in Spring training. For example, I'm not convinced that Kroeger can play CF, though I am intrigued by it, and I'm not convinced just yet that Betemit can't play SS...though early spring defense suggests otherwise. Both are things I would like to see more of as spring goes along

Edited by daa84

Fortunately, we still have some time. If Kroeger can continue to show well with the bat, and be at least competent on the corners and maybe not horrible to spot start at CF, then I'd love to see him get the 4th OF job, with Anderson starting. Anderson falters, Kroeger steps in. Both falter, and we have Lillibridge as an option, and whomever is in Charlotte (Owens, Cook, etc.).

For the poll, if it had to be now, I went with BA in CF, Getz and 2B and leading off.

QUOTE (MHizzle85 @ Mar 10, 2009 -> 11:26 PM)
BA in center field, Getz at 2B and leadoff.

why do those 3 have to be our only options? its pretty clear that neither of the 3 are or should be starting cfers. would it be impossible to trade for someone? :stick

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Mar 11, 2009 -> 07:14 AM)
Fortunately, we still have some time. If Kroeger can continue to show well with the bat, and be at least competent on the corners and maybe not horrible to spot start at CF, then I'd love to see him get the 4th OF job, with Anderson starting. Anderson falters, Kroeger steps in. Both falter, and we have Lillibridge as an option, and whomever is in Charlotte (Owens, Cook, etc.).

For the poll, if it had to be now, I went with BA in CF, Getz and 2B and leading off.

You're more likely to see Jordan Danks, John Shelby III or John Van Benschoten in CF than David Cook.

QUOTE (Melissa1334 @ Mar 11, 2009 -> 07:56 AM)
why do those 3 have to be our only options? its pretty clear that neither of the 3 are or should be starting cfers. would it be impossible to trade for someone? :stick

Sure BA isn't all that, but i'm an admitted BA fanboy. Plus, I believe that he's our best option in CF, i'd much rather have his defense out there everyday.