SoxTalk's Managerial Choices

Marky Mark

If you were Ozzie and Kenny and spring training was over today....  

102 members have voted

1. 1. Who would you choose as the opening day centerfielder?

• Jerry Owens
    • Brian Anderson
    • Dwayne Wise
    • Alexei Ramirez
    • David Cook
    • Josh Kroeger
    • Trade for Rob Mackowiak
  2. 2. Who would you choose as the opening day 2nd basemen?

• Chris Getz
    • Jayson Nix
    • Brent Lillibridge
    • Gordon Beckham
    • Wilson Betemit
  3. 3. Who would you choose as the opening day leadoff hitter?

• Chris Getz
    • Jerry Owens
    • Dwayne Wise
    • Gordon Beckham
    • Alexei Ramirez
    • Brent Lillibridge
    • Jayson Nix
    • AJ Pierzynski
    • Konerko, Thome, Dye, or Fields, CQ, um......

I went with everyone else.

If BA can hit for as well as he did in the 2nd half of last season, he should start.

The Sox need to hope that Jordan Danks turns into the long - term leadoff solution at CF though.

QUOTE (SoxFan1 @ Mar 11, 2009 -> 12:03 AM)
In a dream scenario...

2B Getz

SS Beckham

LF Quentin

DH Thome

RF Dye

1B Konerko

CF Ramirez

C Pierzynski

3B Fields/Viciedo

Love that lineup as well, SF1. I might flip Getz and Becks in that order, but otherwise perfect. Becks may well be a doubles machine, and I'd rather see Getz give up the AB's to move him over to third in late/close game situations.

One caveat is that I need to see Lexi more in CF, to really endorse a move there.

QUOTE (DBAHO @ Mar 11, 2009 -> 09:24 AM)
I went with everyone else.

If BA can hit for as well as he did in the 2nd half of last season, he should start.

The Sox need to hope that Jordan Danks turns into the long - term leadoff solution at CF though.

I also would like to see Shelby get the majority of his time at CF going forward, if they think he's got the skills, as an insurance policy for JorDanks. LF and RF MAY be occupied for a long time, depending on where Dayan winds up, and I think Shelby has some nice potential.

I have never cared for Wise, but hasn't he been getting the job done this spring? I haven't had much time to watch, but at this point, I would give the CF and leadoff job to Wise (until a better fit takes the job from him) and give Beckham the 2B job (again, until someone else takes it from him).

QUOTE (Chet Lemon @ Mar 12, 2009 -> 08:02 PM)
I have never cared for Wise, but hasn't he been getting the job done this spring? I haven't had much time to watch, but at this point, I would give the CF and leadoff job to Wise (until a better fit takes the job from him) and give Beckham the 2B job (again, until someone else takes it from him).

A 12 year veteran career minor leaguer doesn't magically become good thanks to 17 March at bats. He's never shown the ability to be a competent major league regular let alone a leadoff hitter, 4 games worth of meaningless AB shouldn't earn him a job. He's a good baserunner with plus speed, a career .309 minor league OBP, below average defensive ability and a horrible BB/K ratio everywhere he's been, sounds like a bench player to me.

QUOTE (Kalapse @ Mar 12, 2009 -> 08:14 PM)
A 12 year veteran career minor leaguer doesn't magically become good thanks to 17 March at bats. He's never shown the ability to be a competent major league regular let alone a leadoff hitter, 4 games worth of meaningless AB shouldn't earn him a job. He's a good baserunner with plus speed, a career .309 minor league OBP, below average defensive ability and a horrible BB/K ratio everywhere he's been, sounds like a bench player to me.

Again, I'm not advocating Wise get the gig full time. With the players the team has, and the feeling of the current coaching/front office staff, I would give Wise the edge over Owens and Anderson. If Owens and/or Anderson outproduce Wise, then the younger guys need to be starting.