Sears Tower to be renamed "Willis Tower"

Balta1701

I'm so going to punch this guy Willis if I ever meet him. Jerk.

Sears Tower will change its name to Willis Tower under the terms of a new lease signed by global insurance broker Willis Group Holdings.

Willis Group plans to consolidate five area offices and move nearly 500 Associates into Willis Tower, at 233 S. Wacker, initially occupying more than 140,000 square feet on multiple floors.

London-based Willis said its move to the new space, at $14.50 per square foot, will result in significant real estate cost savings, and that there is no additional cost to the company associated with renaming the building.

"Having our name associated with Chicago's most iconic structure underscores our commitment to this great city, and recognizes Chicago's importance as a major financial hub and international business center," said Joseph J. Plumeri, Chairman and Chief Executive Officer, Willis Group Holdings.

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Mar 12, 2009 -> 09:29 AM)
So will the entire city. f*** Willis.

Unfortunately, just like when a ballpark changes its name, the media will all be required to refer to it by its official name, and eventually it'll get stuck.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Mar 12, 2009 -> 11:31 AM)
Unfortunately, just like when a ballpark changes its name, the media will all be required to refer to it by its official name, and eventually it'll get stuck.

Maybe to the outside, but not here. Even after 6 years, most of the city Sox fans refer to our ballpark as Comiskey Park. It is that way with a couple of the towers that changed hands as well.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Mar 12, 2009 -> 11:36 AM)
Maybe to the outside, but not here. Even after 6 years, most of the city Sox fans refer to our ballpark as Comiskey Park. It is that way with a couple of the towers that changed hands as well.

I don't know about that. How many of us still refer to the Aon Center as the Standard Oil Building? I never hear that.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Mar 12, 2009 -> 11:36 AM)

I do hear a lot of Comiskey Park, but feels like I hear more and more people call it "the Cell" as time goes by...

QUOTE (PlaySumFnJurny @ Mar 12, 2009 -> 12:12 PM)
I don't know about that. How many of us still refer to the Aon Center as the Standard Oil Building? I never hear that.

I still hear the IBM building referred to. I know there are others I can't think of off of the top of my head. BOA is still called, LaSalle Bank building.

Edited by southsider2k5

QUOTE (PlaySumFnJurny @ Mar 12, 2009 -> 12:12 PM)

I knew of it as Amaco but always got it confused and called it Prudential Tower. This was after I was told that it was not the John Hancock Building which I thought it was until I was like 24 years old.

QUOTE (Jenks Heat @ Mar 12, 2009 -> 12:28 PM)
I knew of it as Amaco but always got it confused and called it Prudential Tower. This was after I was told that it was not the John Hancock Building which I thought it was until I was like 24 years old.

I sitll think of it as that, but that's what I grew up knowing it as. :lol:

QUOTE (Nixon @ Mar 12, 2009 -> 01:28 PM)
I don't get the outrage, it's one corporate entity for another. Would I have to be from Chicago to get indignant about this?

Yes, a Yemenanianite wouldnt understand.