Sears Tower to be renamed "Willis Tower"

Balta1701

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Mar 12, 2009 -> 11:31 AM)
Unfortunately, just like when a ballpark changes its name, the media will all be required to refer to it by its official name, and eventually it'll get stuck.

There is no way. Sears Tower will always be Sears Tower.

QUOTE (MurcieOne @ Mar 12, 2009 -> 02:51 PM)
the only thing that im pissed about is that a british company now hold the naming rights. I prefer it to be called Trojan Condom Tower if need be.

Would it have to be wrapped in latex, too?

How about "The World"? How many times has that changed names?

I always called the Hoosier Dome the Hoosier Dome even after that company that shall remain nameless stole it and ripped the real name out of the hearts of every Hoosier and then took a big duke in the hole in our chests where our loving hearts used to be. F**kers!

I just recently bought my first product made by them, but did so with the government coupons for the DV adapters.

QUOTE (mreye @ Mar 12, 2009 -> 03:22 PM)
How about "The World"? How many times has that changed names?

I always called the Hoosier Dome the Hoosier Dome even after that company that shall remain nameless stole it and ripped the real name out of the hearts of every Hoosier and then took a big duke in the hole in our chests where our loving hearts used to be. F**kers!

I just recently bought my first product made by them, but did so with the government coupons for the DV adapters.

"RCA" Dome.

And it's dookie. Not duke. Although, that's what I like to call Dookie University and Coach Mike Chezevskeeee.

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Mar 12, 2009 -> 12:16 PM)
I do hear a lot of Comiskey Park, but feels like I hear more and more people call it "the Cell" as time goes by...

I think we should call the building formerly known as the Sears.... the Big Willie

Edited by Athomeboy_2000

QUOTE (Reddy @ Mar 12, 2009 -> 08:42 PM)
guys, in case it couldn't get worse, they're considering painting the whole thing...............

silver. gag me now.

We had a separate thread on this, but I don't think anyone had mentioned the naming rights in it.

What a pissy thing all the way around.

QUOTE (kapkomet @ Mar 12, 2009 -> 09:05 PM)
We had a separate thread on this, but I don't think anyone had mentioned the naming rights in it.

What a pissy thing all the way around.

my bad. i'm just pissed... AND facebook changed its layout today. wtf is wrong with the world?

QUOTE (Athomeboy_2000 @ Mar 12, 2009 -> 09:01 PM)
I think we should call the building formerly known as the Sears.... the Big Willie

Seconded.

Hate the name change, but in a way its kind of fitting that the "City of Big Shoulders" would also have a Big Willie.

QUOTE (PlaySumFnJurny @ Mar 12, 2009 -> 12:12 PM)
I don't know about that. How many of us still refer to the Aon Center as the Standard Oil Building? I never hear that.

I call it the Amoco building

Edited by mr_genius

QUOTE (kapkomet @ Mar 12, 2009 -> 02:39 PM)
"RCA" Dome.

And it's dookie. Not duke. Although, that's what I like to call Dookie University and Coach Mike Chezevskeeee.

"You just made the list, buddy."

francis.jpg

QUOTE (mr_genius @ Mar 13, 2009 -> 10:01 AM)
I call it the Amoco building

Yeah, I still hear that fairly often, but its original name seems to have been forgotten by most. I think it depends on how iconic the particular building is, as well as, of course, what name you were introduced to it as. After 20 years, I still call it the "Playboy Building," but occassionally I'll hear an old-timer refer to it as the "Palmolive Building," and it hasn't been that for over 40.

I'll continue to refer to it as "Sears Tower" as both a matter of habit and obstinacy. On the other hand, I have no problem calling the ballpark "the Cell" because: 1) I think that's a cool nickname, and 2) to me, there was only one "Comiskey Park."

Edited by PlaySumFnJurny