Sears Tower to be renamed "Willis Tower"

Balta1701

QUOTE (PlaySumFnJurny @ Mar 13, 2009 -> 09:59 AM)
I'll continue to refer to it as "Sears Tower" as both a matter of habit and obstinacy. On the other hand, I have no problem calling the ballpark "the Cell" because: 1) I think that's a cool nickname, and 2) to me, there was only one "Comiskey Park."

That's why I've never had the same disdain for US Cellular as I do for that other company that stole the Hoosier Dome.

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I never had a problem with Comiskey Park becoming U.S. Cellular Field. First of all, to me, Comiskey Park is the building that stood across the street from 1910-1990. Second of all though and perhaps most important is the money we got for renaming the ballpark went directly into the ballpark improvements we saw earlier this decade. Those improvements made the ballpark 10 times better in my opinion and I get to see where the money we got for renaming the place went everytime I go to a Sox home game, so at least that name change had a lot of good to it.

That is not the case here. This is completely stupidity which angers me to the core, and I refuse to call the Sears Tower "Willis Tower." In fact, even though it's being named after one individual London Company, this change makes me mad at the entire United Kingdom. HEY BRITAIN, f*** YOU, WE WON THE WAR!! I just hope those losers don't pain the building silver too as I've heard, which would make this even worse.

I would love to know when people in Chicago got such thin skins that they let these name changes drive them as crazy as some people get. Willis Tower???? Macys???? U.S. Cellular????? IT'S A NAME PEOPLE...GET OVER IT!!! If you are of the generation that still remembers the old names then that's what you're gonna use. There is no naming police that is going to force you to switch. The Marshall Fields/Macy's switch story was getting NATIONAL press and being from the chicago area i was embarrassed by the whining shown on tv.

QUOTE (juddling @ Mar 15, 2009 -> 12:55 PM)
I would love to know when people in Chicago got such thin skins that they let these name changes drive them as crazy as some people get. Willis Tower???? Macys???? U.S. Cellular????? IT'S A NAME PEOPLE...GET OVER IT!!! If you are of the generation that still remembers the old names then that's what you're gonna use. There is no naming police that is going to force you to switch. The Marshall Fields/Macy's switch story was getting NATIONAL press and being from the chicago area i was embarrassed by the whining shown on tv.

Wait until you hear the new name we have for you :lolhitting

QUOTE (juddling @ Mar 15, 2009 -> 12:55 PM)
The Marshall Fields/Macy's switch story was getting NATIONAL press and being from the chicago area i was embarrassed by the whining shown on tv.

Marshall Field's was a much better store under previous ownership(s). macys took out some good brands and brought in their own crappy brands, and the sales aren't as good as before.

QUOTE (kjshoe04 @ Mar 15, 2009 -> 04:38 PM)
I honestly couldn't care less about this. It's just a building, and just a name.

While in the grand scheme of things, you guys are both right...there's a bigger issue here. What do all of these places have in common? They were local companies/families. Willis...Macy's...well, ok, US Cellular is local, but it doesn't have any history.

Sears...founded in Chicago.

Marshall Fields...founded in Chicago.

Charles Comiskey...born in Chicago.

Willis...London.

Macy's...NY.

U.S. Cellular...well, I'll give them a pass.

I think that's more of what people are pissed about. These places don't feel "local" anymore. And with midwesterners, that's a HUGE deal.

• 3 months later...

Sears Tower to become the Big Willie effective tomorrow:

CHICAGO (AP) -- Known as the Sears Tower since it opened in 1973, the tallest building in the United States is set to change its name to Willis Tower.

The London-based insurance brokerage Willis Group Holdings will make the name change official Thursday with a ceremony at the downtown Chicago skyscraper. Willis is leasing 140,000 square feet and moving 500 employees to the building.

The new name isn't the only recent change at the tower.

Last month, owners announced a $350 million greening effort, along with plans for a 50-story luxury hotel. For tourists, glass-bottomed enclosed balconies on the 103rd floor were opened earlier this month.

Sears Roebuck and Co. was the original tenant before leaving in 1992. A real estate investment group now owns the 1,450-foot, 110-story skyscraper.