Tech Help

DABearSoX

SO I just got a new desktop and I would like to transfer stuff from my old laptop. There is a lot, so I am not going to hassle myself with CDs or flash drives and such. Went out to radio shack and got an Ethernet crossover cable so I could connect throw each ethernet port. This is where I am having troubles. I found different ways to accomplish this but none of them worked out. I first tried the XP network wizard which ended in an error when trying to set up the host computer. Next I tried manually entering IPs (192.168.0.1 & 192.168.0.2). This took the limited network connectivity away from the desktop but I couldnt see where to access the host laptop. (Yes I enabled sharing on the C: drive of the laptop) I tried to Map a network drive after using the IP method but the HOST laptop wasnt being shown when using the browse method nor could connect when entering //computername/shared drive.

I really thought this would be an easier process when connecting two XP machines...thought it would be like a plug and play

Any tech wiz people out there have any suggestions for me or maybe where to start over?

QUOTE (DABearSoX @ Mar 12, 2009 -> 03:56 PM)
SO I just got a new desktop and I would like to transfer stuff from my old laptop. There is a lot, so I am not going to hassle myself with CDs or flash drives and such. Went out to radio shack and got an Ethernet crossover cable so I could connect throw each ethernet port. This is where I am having troubles. I found different ways to accomplish this but none of them worked out. I first tried the XP network wizard which ended in an error when trying to set up the host computer. Next I tried manually entering IPs (192.168.0.1 & 192.168.0.2). This took the limited network connectivity away from the desktop but I couldnt see where to access the host laptop. (Yes I enabled sharing on the C: drive of the laptop) I tried to Map a network drive after using the IP method but the HOST laptop wasnt being shown when using the browse method nor could connect when entering //computername/shared drive.

I really thought this would be an easier process when connecting two XP machines...thought it would be like a plug and play

Any tech wiz people out there have any suggestions for me or maybe where to start over?

1.) Remember to disable the built in XP Firewall and verify connectivity by pinging across the cross over.

2.) Don't use the name for your fileshare. Use the IP for the UNC name.

Start Menu -> Run -> \\IP Address\[your shared folder name] and press enter. By default you can either share the C drive out, or use the C$ hidden admin share.

Here is another link that may assist you.

http://www.online-tech-tips.com/computer-t...n-folder-share/

thanks for the help...

so basically what happened is that I am an idiot...The 5 years I have had this laptop I have reformatted numerous times and that last time I must have forgotten to install the drivers for the network card. I have been using the wireless card so i installed those and not the Ethernet card..

went to the dell website, installed the drivers, and bingo..that was the problem...

QUOTE (DABearSoX @ Mar 12, 2009 -> 10:17 PM)
thanks for the help...

so basically what happened is that I am an idiot...The 5 years I have had this laptop I have reformatted numerous times and that last time I must have forgotten to install the drivers for the network card. I have been using the wireless card so i installed those and not the Ethernet card..

went to the dell website, installed the drivers, and bingo..that was the problem...

Thats why I started out with lower the firewall and ping. If you can't see the echo reply from the machine connected, then you have other issues. Glad you found it.

Edited by southsideirish71