Guillen considering Wise at leadoff

Balta1701

This oughta get a lot of people riled up.

DeWayne Wise, who finished 2-for-4, with one run scored and his first stolen base this spring from the top, appears to be emerging as the clubhouse leader.

"He brings energy, bro, and I love it," said Guillen, flashing a knowing smile when talking about the left-handed hitter. "He's doing a lot of good things for the ballclub and he continues to fight.

"I don't know why a lot of people don't mention his name out there. He's fighting for a job and everyone should know about it. Every time we play him, he plays well."

Guillen reiterated that he doesn't need the prototypical leadoff hitter at the top of the order, and basically ruled out a young guy with speed and patience such as Chris Getz as a possibility. If Getz gets the second base job, Guillen wants him to hit down in the order like Alexei Ramirez in 2008 so he can avoid any sort of extra pressure and just focus on making the plays in the field.

In Wise, who turned 31 in February, the White Sox could have a No. 1 guy with a little speed and power. Guillen has been talking up Wise since SoxFest, even when the center field focus fell on Jerry Owens and Brian Anderson, and doesn't seem to care that others view Wise more as a reserve.

"It's something about baseball, when you have a sign on your forehead that you are a backup player, you are the fifth outfielder, all of a sudden you are for the rest of your life," Guillen said. "This kid continues to play the way he is, we see what's going on. He opened a lot of eyes. Every time we put him there, he impresses a lot of people."

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The best player should play, and he has been the best by far. Sure his OF instincts could be better, but he isn't bad. I think in a full season, he could hit .260, 20 HRs, 20 SBs. That would not necessarily be leadoff numbers, but I think he could definitely be a solid starter.

Of course he is. 17 AB is more than enough to prove Wise has put his 12 year minor league career in the past and is now a good baseball player. So he puts up a sub .300 OBP in the leadoff spot, so what? He might steal some bases and hit 12 HR while costing the team maybe 12 runs in centerfield.

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Mar 12, 2009 -> 10:56 PM)
I'd rather have Owens leading off and playing CF than Wise. There, I said it.

Still though, neither should be in the discussion.

Why? What does he bring that Wise doesn't? Wise runs better, and as far as I know that's the only thing Owens could potentially do right (although doubts have been cast on that, too)

QUOTE (ScottyDo @ Mar 12, 2009 -> 09:06 PM)
Why? What does he bring that Wise doesn't? Wise runs better, and as far as I know that's the only thing Owens could potentially do right (although doubts have been cast on that, too)

I'd say Owens would also get on base more frequently and aside from Wise's 9 for 9 in SB last season the two of them have had similar success on the basepaths during their careers with Owens being a much higher volume stealer.

Anyone but owens, he tries to bunt everytime at the plate and yet he still isn't a good bunter.

Everyone acts like Owens is a 21 year old top prospect with upside, he is 28, wise is 31, Owens also has a history of injuries so even if he did play well for a bit eventually he will have another leg issue and his speed will be gone or he will be on the DL.

The sox need to move on from Owens, Wise is playing the best give him the shot...

Not to mention attitude difference between the two, Wise shows up keeps his mouth shut and performs while Owens makes comments as though he is a future HOF and just tuning up in ST and trying to stay healthy. How about learning to hit, why not work on that.

QUOTE (joesaiditstrue @ Mar 12, 2009 -> 09:33 PM)
this is bad news.

Um, yea... DWise is the best we've got for CF. That means we suck. (Seriously).

Oh, wait, I guess the pitching and other 8 spots in the lineup could help... but that as a leadoff option and CF? UGH.

QUOTE (Kalapse @ Mar 12, 2009 -> 11:13 PM)
I'd say Owens would also get on base more frequently and aside from Wise's 9 for 9 in SB last season the two of them have had similar success on the basepaths during their careers with Owens being a much higher volume stealer.

I dunno, Wise seems to have better technique to me. Picks his battles better. Maybe I'm wrong, I'm certainly not the best judge of talent on this board.

Regardless, he has more pop than Owens.

He can bunt, unlike Owens.

He has a better throwing arm than Owens.

Owens...ummm...might at some point maybe have a better OBP possibly? He has 2007 under his belt, I guess. I never really bought into the 2007 Owens though.

As has been mentioned on many occasions before, it's a case of the tallest midget for sure. But as far as I'm concerned, Wise is a better option than Owens in pretty much any dimension you care to judge them by. Someday we'll get a real CF...someday...

Wise is not a leadoff hitter or a MLB starter. He is a bad player who should not be starting, let alone leading off. I agree that I'd rather Owens than him in CF, which is really pretty pathetic because Owens in CF is a horrible idea as well.

Brian Anderson for CF in 2009.

Edited by Felix

QUOTE (Felix @ Mar 12, 2009 -> 10:51 PM)
Wise is not a leadoff hitter or a MLB starter. He is a bad player who should not be starting, let alone leading off. I agree that I'd rather Owens than him in CF, which is really pretty pathetic because Owens in CF is a horrible idea as well.

Brian Anderson for CF in 2009.

:lolhitting :lolhitting :lolhitting :lolhitting

When Ozzie grins, s***'s flying.

BA, Owens, and Wise are all below average offensive players and there is no significant difference between them. So why wouldn't we start the one that has by far the best defense? It's mind boggling.

Edited by Felix

His minor league OBP over 12 seasons is .309.

His major league percentage (468 at-bats) is .254.

The White Sox have asked for someone, if she doesn't steal 30-50 bases, to have at least a .350 OBP. I suppose one could argue Wise would get you 25-40 steals over a full season, but it seems highly unlikely to happen at his age.

Even his career minor league OPS of .731 is dubious.

The problem is that Ozzie has said he doesn't want Getz there at leadoff (prefers him 8th or 9th)...we know Alexei isn't ready to be a leadoff hitter, so that leaves us with what?

Owens

Beckham

Wise

Anderson

Lillibridge

It's scary, but it keeps coming back to either Anderson/Wise platoon in CF with Wise leading off most of the time and god knows who when Wise isn't playing, or Alexei Ramirez moving to CF with Beckham (leading off) at SS and Getz/Nix platooning at 2B

I don't like giving up Ramirez's bat from SS, but if the only options are the 3 we have, then it might need to be done.

Either that or we have to give Jim Edmonds another go on his last legs. He had a .369 OBP and .937 OPS last year in 250 at-bats with the Cubs.

IS THERE ANY CHANCE that ANY of Wise/Anderson/Owens or even Alexei Ramirez could do that? I don't think he could easily repeat that in the American League, but I think he could put up .340-.350 with an 800 OPS, and that's a LOT better than our options now. Scary/sad.

At the very least, maybe Edmonds can buy KW 2-3 months until June/July to find a better option out there somewhere/somehow.

Edited by caulfield12

QUOTE (Felix @ Mar 13, 2009 -> 12:59 AM)
BA, Owens, and Wise are all below average offensive players and there is no significant difference between them. So why wouldn't we start the one that has by far the best defense? It's mind boggling.

If BA can't hit scrubs with his career on the line, I don't want him up to bat when real games matter. Wise at least has some sort of drive to him. If BA was hitting even passably right now, I'd agree with you but he's not. Still 3 weeks to go so I will reserve final judgement till then, but at least Wise has shown he likes winning.

I know, really mushy argument but whatever. We're talking about three sh**ty players so who needs good arguments? :lolhitting

With no obvious choice in cf, Ken and Oz should go with Anderson. I like Wise but we do know what he's going to do. He's going to have some clutch hits and some 0 for 5s as well.

Anderson we know will be amazing defensively at least.

Give him a chance. I'm thinking his defense will be more important than Wise's mediocrity.

If Anderson can't beat out Wise, trade Anderson.