RotoWorld Suggests White Sox should sign Jim Edmonds

TLAK

• Replies 123
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Tony82087 @ Mar 15, 2009 -> 03:11 PM)
Ah, the standard "Old=Bad" argument. A classic.

As expected, none of the CF candidates are making a strong statement to take the job. Anderson certainly has the leg up, but even as a strong Anderson supporter, I can't support him being the full time starter, as he has never shown he is fully capable.

What he has shown however, at least last year, was his extra base power against LHP. 11 of his 18 hits last season were for extra bases, giving him a respectable .825 OPS.

So now you need someone in CF to hit RHP. Wise, in 115 AB's last season posted a .261/.310/.487/.797 line in 115 AB's. Edmonds posted a .250/.362/.521/.883 line in 292 AB's.

Edmonds should be able to be signed for at most 1.5 for one year. With a strict Anderson/Edmonds platoon, you should be looking at an OPS of around .830 out of the CF position, and good to great D on a night in and night out basis, this all for under 2 million dollars.

Look how our 38 year old future hall of famer worked out last year. Like Griffey, Edmonds also has declining legs, so his defense is pretty bad. He takes good routes to balls, but he doesn't have the legs to run down those great plays he could have made 5 years ago. He's still a decent hitter, he hit very well with the Cubs last year. But that was not on a day-to-day basis as he platooned in center. Plus, he had much better protection in that Cubs lineup as he batted in the middle of the order. I don't know how we can ask him to lead off. We've already seen that going with the Oakland idea of putting a guy at leadoff who can do nothing but walk does not work (Swisher). Now granted, Edmonds can do a lot more than walk, but at this point in his career, he's a .250-.260 hitter. I don't see anything more than a Griffey clone with a little bit more power and healthier legs in Edmonds.

I wouldn't be against this move as long as he is signed for a reasonable price. But I really don't think we'll get the production he had with the Cubs last year.

QUOTE (chw42 @ Mar 15, 2009 -> 03:34 PM)
Look how our 38 year old future hall of famer worked out last year. Like Griffey, Edmonds also has declining legs, so his defense is pretty bad. He takes good routes to balls, but he doesn't have the legs to run down those great plays he could have made 5 years ago. He's still a decent hitter, he hit very well with the Cubs last year. But that was not on a day-to-day basis as he platooned in center. Plus, he had much better protection in that Cubs lineup as he batted in the middle of the order. I don't know how we can ask him to lead off. We've already seen that going with the Oakland idea of putting a guy at leadoff who can do nothing but walk does not work (Swisher). Now granted, Edmonds can do a lot more than walk, but at this point in his career, he's a .250-.260 hitter. I don't see anything more than a Griffey clone with a little bit more power and healthier legs in Edmonds.

I wouldn't be against this move as long as he is signed for a reasonable price. But I really don't think we'll get the production he had with the Cubs last year.

Just as Wise should be absolutely no where near the leadoff spot neither would Edmonds, he'd hit down in the order and PLATOON against righties just as he did last year. All he has to do is play league average defense and put up an .830+ OPS against righties, I fail to see how that's out of the realm of possibility. He'd be a better platoon partner than Wise, that's all he has to do is be more productive than a 12 year career minor leaguer.

And Griffey put up an .841 OPS against righties last year, if Edmonds could match that in a platoon role with Anderson then he'd be well worth the

Edmonds really put a charge to the Cubs last year, but this was when he formed an outstanding platoon with Reed Johnson. Under the right circumstances, Edmonds and BA could form a similiar tandem. He's still got pop, decent range, and while his legs have been effected by him aging he can still play. So for the right price, yes.

QUOTE (jasonxctf @ Mar 16, 2009 -> 11:10 AM)
how many slow, sluggers does this lineup need?

Konerko

Thome

Dye

AJP

Fields

Quentin (not that slow, but still)

Ramirez is fast, so that helps. But we don't need 1 or 2 more station-to-station players.

Fields and Quentin are not slow or station to station so you can take them off your list. Having 4 of 9 hitter being called "slow" is not bad at all. Edmonds is not nearly as bad as Thome, Konerko and AJP. Thats not really a good argument against Edmonds.

QUOTE (jasonxctf @ Mar 16, 2009 -> 11:10 AM)
how many slow, sluggers does this lineup need?

Konerko (25)

Thome (30)

Dye (30)

AJP (10)

Fields (25)

Quentin (30)(not that slow, but still)

Ramirez is fast, so that helps. But we don't need 1 or 2 more station-to-station players.

Homer estimates in parentheses, is that really a problem when that group alone will probably give you 150 homers or so? That 150 is also a very conservative estimate. Adding Edmonds would add another 15-20 to that total as well. Add to it that group will also collectively get on base at about a .360 clip and will have probably 250 XBHs that are not homers, and I see that as an asset rather than a problem.

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Mar 16, 2009 -> 12:49 PM)
Homer estimates in parentheses, is that really a problem when that group alone will probably give you 150 homers or so? That 150 is also a very conservative estimate. Adding Edmonds would add another 15-20 to that total as well. Add to it that group will also collectively get on base at about a .360 clip and will have probably 250 XBHs that are not homers, and I see that as an asset rather than a problem.

Mostly I agree, high OPS lineups give you the most overall runs scored. They do, however, usually result in feast-or-famine offense. Personally, I don't think it's a big problem because our pitching staff is gonna be sweeeeeet!

QUOTE (Y2HH @ Mar 16, 2009 -> 11:49 AM)
It would be, but he brings a mega-primadonna personality with him.

As a Cub, Edmonds was a lot less of a pompous ass clown then he had been earlier in his career. I think he's humbled. He can still hit, field, and has decent leadership skills, the guy just can't run very well anymore.

QUOTE (Thunderbolt @ Mar 16, 2009 -> 12:22 PM)
As a Cub, Edmonds was a lot less of a pompous ass clown then he had been earlier in his career. I think he's humbled. He can still hit, field, and has decent leadership skills, the guy just can't run very well anymore.

which is something that should be taken into consideration considering the position he would be playing

QUOTE (SouthsideDon48 @ Mar 16, 2009 -> 03:35 PM)
I think Jim Edmonds is a DL stint waiting to happen.

However, if in the small chance that the Sox sign Edmonds, then I still think Anderson should be in AAA and that the 4th outfielder should be Wise because we need more lefties and speed.

The whole purpose of signing Edmonds is that he rakes against righties, and Anderson rakes against lefties. A platoon of Wise/Edmonds isn't a platoon at all, in terms of matchup capabilities.

Besides, Anderson isn't a base stealer, but he is just as fast as Wise on the basepaths from what I can tell, and effectively MUCH faster in the outfield.

QUOTE (SouthsideDon48 @ Mar 16, 2009 -> 03:35 PM)
I think Jim Edmonds is a DL stint waiting to happen.

However, if in the small chance that the Sox sign Edmonds, then I still think Anderson should be in AAA and that the 4th outfielder should be Wise because we need more lefties and speed.

Your post makes zero sense. Why would we platoon 2 lefties in CF? BA is also just as fast as Wise and infinitely better defensively in CF. BA rakes LHP, Edmonds rakes RHP. Its not really that difficult of a concept.

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Mar 16, 2009 -> 04:11 PM)
Your post makes zero sense. Why would we platoon 2 lefties in CF? BA is also just as fast as Wise and infinitely better defensively in CF. BA rakes LHP, Edmonds rakes RHP. Its not really that difficult of a concept.

If we had Edmonds, then I would hope Edmonds would be an everyday Centerfielder, and that Wise can be subbed in at LF/CF/RF whenever he's needed. Not that hard of a concept because Anderson shouldn't be anywhere near the everyday line-up, he should be in AAA.

Without Edmonds, then I'd rather have Wise as the everyday CF'er with Anderson only being used as a late-inning defensive replacement.

After 2006, the Sox should never give Anderson another shot again.

QUOTE (SouthsideDon48 @ Mar 16, 2009 -> 05:52 PM)
If we had Edmonds, then I would hope Edmonds would be an everyday Centerfielder, and that Wise can be subbed in at LF/CF/RF whenever he's needed. Not that hard of a concept because Anderson shouldn't be anywhere near the everyday line-up, he should be in AAA.

Without Edmonds, then I'd rather have Wise as the everyday CF'er with Anderson only being used as a late-inning defensive replacement.

wow

QUOTE (SouthsideDon48 @ Mar 16, 2009 -> 06:52 PM)

Dewayne Wise has failed countless times in his career. Using the Wise scale of sucess BA had many shots left to go.