Every Year I Plan on Following Spring Training ... but

greg775

QUOTE (Cali @ Mar 18, 2009 -> 02:38 AM)
^ I agree with that line-up.

Also, I dont care how well Richard is doing this ST, he is NOT a big league starter. He proved it last season, he'll get through 4 or 5 innings then blow-up. Every line-up adjusted after one AB. He's suited for long-relief out of the pen and that's it.

Marquez > Richard.

Hopefully Contreras can take that 4th spot quickly and Marquez can be #5 until Colon is ready/goes on the DL

How do you know this? You havent even seen what Marquez brings versus MLB hitters, and have seen very little of Richard.

Basically, youre judging "havent seen face MLB hitters at all" vs. "have seen a little bit vs. MLB hitters, but not alot"

That doesnt seem very smart to me personally. I think both have decent upside, and yes, Richard may be best out of the bullpen. But, Scenario has mentioned how he actually has quite a deep repertoire and didnt use close to all of it in his call ups last season. So, who knows, maybe he becomes more comfortable with his pitches at the MLB level and shows that he has enough to keep hitters off balance for 6 or more innings.

Meanwhile, Marquez hasnt even proven that he can pitch at the MLB level AT ALL. So how is he better? Its not like his stuff is electric, he has a good sinkerballer. If you dont care what Richard is doing in ST, fine, but you cant assume Marquez is going to do fine off his ST either then. Heck, he got beat up in AAA and at times AA last year, so what exactly makes him better?

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Cali @ Mar 18, 2009 -> 12:38 AM)
^ I agree with that line-up.

Also, I dont care how well Richard is doing this ST, he is NOT a big league starter. He proved it last season, he'll get through 4 or 5 innings then blow-up. Every line-up adjusted after one AB. He's suited for long-relief out of the pen and that's it.

Marquez > Richard.

Hopefully Contreras can take that 4th spot quickly and Marquez can be #5 until Colon is ready/goes on the DL

You do know that almost every starter in the history of baseball has gone through some period of adjustment and just doesn't go from the minors to the majors and have instant success don't you ? It will happen to Marquez just as it happened to Richard just as it happened to Greg Maddux and Sandy Koufax.

QUOTE (Kalapse @ Mar 18, 2009 -> 03:35 PM)
.282/.370/.513/.882, 39 AB, 5/10 BB/K - Anderson

.281/.294/.469/.763, 32 AB, 0/7 BB/K - Dweezy

.364/.432/.545/.978, 33 AB, 3/3 BB/K - Getz

.233/.333/.256/.589, 42 AB, 7/6 BB/K - Owens

A couple more ticks upwards for Anderson and we're right back in to Anderson/Erstad territory.

QUOTE (LVSoxFan @ Mar 19, 2009 -> 08:30 AM)
I won't miss Owens. He just strikes me as mentally soft. We don't need any more corpseballers, ever.

I thought Corpseball was defined as always swinging for the fences and then slamming the bat down when you pop up instead?

I'm not sure Owens is strong enough to either swing for the fences or slam the bat down, so I don't think he fits either requirement.

QUOTE (Kalapse @ Mar 17, 2009 -> 10:20 PM)
Assuming Beckham will not make the team.

Getz - Regardless of the crippling pressure involved with leading off the bottom of the 1st he's the best fit at the top of the lineup given his tools as a hitter

Ramirez - Outside of Getz there are no other high/moderate OBP hitters left to hit in the 2 hole, at least with Alexei hitting second you're getting one of your best hitters more plate appearances and late in close games I want him getting that 4th or 5th PA that might not be afforded to a #6 or #7 hitter and will be given to a mediocre offensive player like Pierzynski in Ozzie's lineup.

Quentin

Dye

Thome

Konerko

Pierzynski

Fields

Anderson/Wise

According to Pinto’s lineup analysis tool a lineup of Getz, Ramirez, Q, Thome Konerko, Dye, AJ, Fields, BA would score about 5.782. runs per game. While one of Getz, Ramirez, Q, Dye, Thome Konerko, AJ, Field and BA would score about 5.784 per runs game. So while the difference is negligible, you are absolutely correct. Great lineup, Kalapse.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Mar 19, 2009 -> 10:53 AM)
I thought Corpseball was defined as always swinging for the fences and then slamming the bat down when you pop up instead?

I'm not sure Owens is strong enough to either swing for the fences or slam the bat down, so I don't think he fits either requirement.

Maybe I had it wrong; I always thought it meant the emotionless, zombie-like ball we played, like in all of 2007. You get the idea.

The guy has no fire.