South Regional

• Replies 116
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (SoxFan1 @ Mar 15, 2009 -> 11:12 PM)
Can someone please explain why Michigan deserves to be in the tournament besides the customary "they beat Duke and UCLA"?

Besides that? Hard for me to explain why. Again, quality non-conference wins have become crucial. I knew they were in when they waxed Purdue last month.

QUOTE (SoxFan1 @ Mar 16, 2009 -> 12:12 AM)
Can someone please explain why Michigan deserves to be in the tournament besides the customary "they beat Duke and UCLA"?

1. The at large field sucked this year.

2. They have 2 really good players

3. I think they were the 5th best team in the Big 10 this year, and would have taken them over Minnesota (who I would have had in), and Wisconsin and Penn State (I'd have had neither in.)

Edited by whitesoxfan101

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ Mar 16, 2009 -> 12:16 AM)
Besides that? Hard for me to explain why. Again, quality non-conference wins have become crucial. I knew they were in when they waxed Purdue last month.

Ya, they beat Duke, but they also lost to Duke. And I maintain...they lost to freakin' Iowa.

QUOTE (whitesoxfan101 @ Mar 16, 2009 -> 12:51 AM)
1. The at large field sucked this year.

2. They have 2 really good players

3. I think they were the 5th best team in the Big 10 this year, and would have taken them over Minnesota (who I would have had in), and Wisconsin and Penn State (I'd have had neither in.)

1.) I'll give you that I suppose.

2.) You're characteristics of "really good" must be different than mine. Either way, because they're good doesn't mean they should automatically get in. Davidson has Steph Curry, and they didn't get in? I'd say Georgetown has a couple really good players. They didn't get in either. And for comparison, Georgetown beat Savannah State 100-38, Michigan beat Savannah State 64-62. Georgetown also beat Memphis, Syracuse, and Villanova. I'm not saying Georgetown deserves to be in, but people blabbing about "quality wins" should shut it.

3.) 9-9 in the Big Ten with losses to WIS, WIS, PSU, and Iowa...ewww.

QUOTE (Brian @ Mar 15, 2009 -> 07:45 PM)
So that cancels it out? Got it.

Random, but I'm picking Michigan just for the girl in that sig lol. :cheers

No, but seriously Clemson lost its defense I saw last year and Michigan can shoot and are pretty gritty on D, I'm going with the upset.

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Mar 17, 2009 -> 02:08 PM)
According to the experts, I dont see what the point is for Illinois to even fly out to Portland. Chester Frazier = Deron Williams and without him they are gonna get smoked by Western KY.

I was thinking that last night...Chester Frazier's become the most overrated player in cbball history. Someone lumped his injury into that of Blake Griffin and Ty Lawson's. Frazier's a good defensive player and solid rebounder...but like you said, you would have thought he was a top 5 player in the country with all the attention given to his injury.

He's important, but I don't think his playing will stop us from winning or losing Thursday. Gonzaga might be a different story. It's pretty rough losing your best defender and probably your smartest player. He sets up the offense and handles the ball. While McCamey and Brock can do it, the team is better with Frazier for sure.

If we can get out of the first weekend, I'll consider this season a whopping success.

QUOTE (fathom @ Mar 17, 2009 -> 07:28 AM)
I was thinking that last night...Chester Frazier's become the most overrated player in cbball history. Someone lumped his injury into that of Blake Griffin and Ty Lawson's. Frazier's a good defensive player and solid rebounder...but like you said, you would have thought he was a top 5 player in the country with all the attention given to his injury.

I think Brock can adequately replace Frazier's defense and rebounding (and Jordan is a decent on-ball defender as well). The thing they lost with Frazier that they can't replace is his ball-handling. I don't know if WKU presses or not, but with Frazier out I would put pressure on Meacham and McCamey and see if the started coughing up the ball.

QUOTE (Jenksismyb**** @ Mar 17, 2009 -> 10:34 AM)
He's important, but I don't think his playing will stop us from winning or losing Thursday. Gonzaga might be a different story. It's pretty rough losing your best defender and probably your smartest player. He sets up the offense and handles the ball. While McCamey and Brock can do it, the team is better with Frazier for sure.

If we can get out of the first weekend, I'll consider this season a whopping success.

After how bad last year was, and since our only incoming freshman was gonna redshirt, I expected an NIT bid at best. 2nd place in the conference, a 5 seed, the development of Davis/Tisdale, they so exceeded my expectations, I already consider it a huge success, although getting upset in the first round, would put a little damper on it now.

Edited by LittleHurt05

i don't think it's so much people saying chester is a great player as acknowledging how important he is to illinois specifically.

he is a huge part of helping illinois play the way it needs to play to win. he's also the only consistent player illinois has. most of the players on illinois's roster are fairly uneven from game-to-game. although there are probably four or five guys on the roster who are more talented and better players than chet, he's the only one you can count on to bring it every night.

Well, we only do two things well. Pass the ball and play top-notch defense. When you lose a PG that is also your best defender, that is going to hurt. A lot.

Brock will see 30+ minutes though and he's a top notch defender himself so hopefully he can counteract that part of it.

That said, WKU just is not a good basketball team. We should win win ease regardless, but you never know with this team.

QUOTE (ChWRoCk2 @ Mar 19, 2009 -> 12:48 PM)
Oops forgot to edit my Soxtalk bracket, one right so far, should be 2 as I had AM in all others.

Butler played awful, couldnt hit from arc and turned ball over too much too early in game.

They started off terribly. Played a much better second half (LSU had no answer for Matt Howard until he fouled out). Thorton/Mitchell delivered for LSU. Good game overall.