Sox Sign Tim Raines Jr.

chisox2334

QUOTE (bschmaranz @ Mar 16, 2009 -> 11:12 PM)
What's the knock on this guy? Why hasn't he ever been called up?

His AAA numbers look pretty darn nice the last couple years.

He's a 29 year old in AAA. People here deride guys like Owens (27) or Cook (26) for being old, this guy is a few years older than that, and has spent a lot more years at AAA before figuring it out.

QUOTE (bschmaranz @ Mar 16, 2009 -> 11:12 PM)
What's the knock on this guy? Why hasn't he ever been called up?

His AAA numbers look pretty darn nice the last couple years.

He's also been putting up ok numbers in the PCL. He's prob just AAA fodder for life.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Mar 17, 2009 -> 09:56 AM)
Like Jayson Nix. These are guys that will help the win totals in Charlotte, but if they are playing in Chicago, its garbage time.

I'd put more faith in the potential of Nix than that, he may actually turn out to be of some value. But I agree on Raines 2, he's AAA filler.

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Mar 17, 2009 -> 10:49 AM)
I'd put more faith in the potential of Nix than that, he may actually turn out to be of some value. But I agree on Raines 2, he's AAA filler.

Just remember, Nix compiled his numbers in Colorado Springs in his 3rd year of AAA. I think the team batting average was higher than his. I wouldn't expect much.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Mar 17, 2009 -> 10:51 AM)
Just remember, Nix compiled his numbers in Colorado Springs in his 3rd year of AAA. I think the team batting average was higher than his. I wouldn't expect much.

I don't think he is a starter, but, I think he may be a better choice for the bench this year to cover middle infield, than Lillibridge. Lilli could benefit from another year at AAA putting it back together (or trying too), whereas I think Nix is more ready to be part of the big club. Nix to cover SS, 2B, PR, with Betemit for the corners and DH and corner OF here and there, plus a 4th OF who loses the CF job or platoons, and the backup C.

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Mar 17, 2009 -> 09:01 AM)
He's a 29 year old in AAA. People here deride guys like Owens (27) or Cook (26) for being old, this guy is a few years older than that, and has spent a lot more years at AAA before figuring it out.

He's been 28 for about a month now.

QUOTE (DABearSoX @ Mar 17, 2009 -> 02:19 PM)
How many years was Scotty Po in the minors before making it to the bigs?

He was a full time starter by age 27, he spent less than 2 full years in AAA. His biggest problem was injuries and getting out of A ball.

• 3 weeks later...