Some cuts

Dick Allen

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

No big surprises there...

Hopefully these guys go down and light up Bham and Charlotte. I think the idea that Nunez will be closing in AA, and Link at AAA is closer to happening. I also really hope JVB absorbed as much as possible and he emerges to make the pitching situation all of the better.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Mar 18, 2009 -> 12:41 PM)

Weird, only 8 names mentioned, but it says 12 were cut. I am curious who the others are.

None of those listed are surprises. I did think that maybe Armstrong would get a longer look after his AFL performance, but they didn't give him much playing time. I guess they don't see him as a viable backup C option, either because of his lefthandedness at the plate or because he just wasn't going to cut it.

Full list from Sox website press releases : * Optioned C Cole Armstrong, RHP Jon Link and 3B Dayan Viciedo to Class AAA Charlotte;

* Optioned INF Brandon Allen, RHP Jhonny Nunez and RHP Clevelan Santeliz to Class AA Birmingham;

* RHP Ryan Braun, INF Javier Castillo, C Tyler Flowers, RHP Franklyn German, OF Michael Restovich and RHP John Van Benschoten were reassigned to minor-league camp.

QUOTE (CaliSoxFanViaSWside @ Mar 18, 2009 -> 12:46 PM)
Full list from Sox website press releases : * Optioned C Cole Armstrong, RHP Jon Link and 3B Dayan Viciedo to Class AAA Charlotte;

* Optioned INF Brandon Allen, RHP Jhonny Nunez and RHP Clevelan Santeliz to Class AA Birmingham;

* RHP Ryan Braun, INF Javier Castillo, C Tyler Flowers, RHP Franklyn German, OF Michael Restovich and RHP John Van Benschoten were reassigned to minor-league camp.

Interesting.

So scratch Armstrong and Flowers from the backup C competition, leaving Miller, Stewart and Lucy.

Scratch German and JVB from bullpen consideration, narrowing that field a little bit.

And any illusion of a competition at 3B, which was never really there anyway, is over.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Mar 18, 2009 -> 12:50 PM)
I would have thought they would have kept Viciedo around a little longer. It seems ever since he missed that training session, his name has been kept out of the newspapers and for the most part, line-ups.

Missed a training session? I didn't catch anything about that.

I think its just clear that Viciedo needs some refinement.

When you think about it... Viciedo going to Charlotte shows alot of confidence in his ability.

How often does a just-turned-20-year-old ballplayer get assigned to AAA?

No shame in that. In fact, that's very impressive. (I bet he will be THE youngest player in the International League.)

Let him get some experience hitting off-speed pitches without major league pressure.

I think it will turn out to be the best thing for him... and the ballclub.

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Mar 18, 2009 -> 12:52 PM)
Missed a training session? I didn't catch anything about that.

I think its just clear that Viciedo needs some refinement.

Cowley had it a week or so ago. He was scheduled to go work out, but he went home. It could have been a misunderstanding, but ever since then, he went from being constantly talked about and hyped, to close to MIA.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Mar 18, 2009 -> 12:54 PM)
Cowley had it a week or so ago. He was scheduled to go work out, but he went home. It could have been a misunderstanding, but ever since then, he went from being constantly talked about and hyped, to close to MIA.

Didn't know that. I don't think he was making the team anyway, unless Fields was hurt.

Viciedo must had some huge problems to send him down after 25 at bats, while at the same time hitting homeruns over 400 feet to opposite field. I'm interested in seeing how he does down at the lower levels, hopefully this will piss him off enough to get his s*** together, even though I know he is still young.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Mar 18, 2009 -> 12:50 PM)
It seems ever since Viciedo missed that training session, his name has been kept out of the newspapers and for the most part, line-ups.

Geezus... this is exactly how ridiculous rumors get started.

As of today, he has the same number of at-bats as Fields and has played in the same number of games as Alexei.

The reason he hasn't been playing lately is because he developed shin splints, not because of a double-secret probation rules violation.

QUOTE (Hawkfan @ Mar 18, 2009 -> 12:57 PM)
Viciedo must had some huge problems to send him down after 25 at bats, while at the same time hitting homeruns over 400 feet to opposite field. I'm interested in seeing how he does down at the lower levels, hopefully this will piss him off enough to get his s*** together, even though I know he is still young.

I think he was going down unless Fields got hurt or hit .100 and Viciedo hit .700, anyway. I do think his "punishment" is being sent to minor league camp early, but that also could be to give him time to adjust to that as well. Anyway, I think it would have been a mistake to have him play in the majors right away, and fully expect him to start out slowly in AAA, but I'm sure he'll be with the White Sox at some point in 2009, unless he gets hurt.

I don't see how you got that out of the situation. Viciendo is 20 years old and will be in AAA, outside of Jon Garland, I can't think of many 20 year olds we have seen on our AAA team. Fields is clearly playing well enough to earn the 3B spot, and splitting time and at-bats will do nothing for Viciendo's potential and progress.

Brandon Allen going to AA instead of AAA actually surprised me the most.

QUOTE (scenario @ Mar 18, 2009 -> 01:00 PM)
Geezus... this is exactly how ridiculous rumors get started.

As of today, he has the same number of at-bats as Fields and has played in the same number of games as Alexei.

The reason he hasn't been playing lately is because he developed shin splints, not because of a double-secret probation rules violation.

The guy was front page news for weeks, and after this happened, and only Cowley had it, and I stated it may not have even been a big deal, he hasn't been playing as much. Perhaps it is shin splints as the reason, but he has played in B games.

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Mar 18, 2009 -> 01:03 PM)
Quick question: What does it mean for the guys sent down to minor league camp, and not straight to AA or AAA? Are they still trying to determine what level they want them to play at?

Right...minor league camp means they haven't decided where they want to assign them yet. They have to set rosters just like the major league team, so those decisions are partially made now, but for some others, they need more time.

Edited by flavum

QUOTE (Palehosefan @ Mar 18, 2009 -> 01:01 PM)
I don't see how you got that out of the situation. Viciendo is 20 years old and will be in AAA, outside of Jon Garland, I can't think of many 20 year olds we have seen on our AAA team. Fields is clearly playing well enough to earn the 3B spot, and splitting time and at-bats will do nothing for Viciendo's potential and progress.

I'm not too surprised about Allen going to AA. He only played 41 games there last year. Plus Charlotte will probably have Broussard and maybe Myrow.

QUOTE (Palehosefan @ Mar 18, 2009 -> 01:01 PM)

Surprised me a little based on how he was doing offensively in camp.

But I think sending him to AA makes sense. He's shown he can hit. In Birmingham, he can get full-time playing opportunity at 1B to work on his defense.

And this allows more playing time in AAA then for both Broussard and possibly Kroeger who are more likely call-ups (in 2009) in case of injuries.

If by problem you mean Josh Fields blocking him, then yes.