Some cuts

Dick Allen

QUOTE (Palehosefan @ Mar 18, 2009 -> 02:01 PM)
I don't see how you got that out of the situation. Viciendo is 20 years old and will be in AAA, outside of Jon Garland, I can't think of many 20 year olds we have seen on our AAA team. Fields is clearly playing well enough to earn the 3B spot, and splitting time and at-bats will do nothing for Viciendo's potential and progress.

Brandon Allen going to AA instead of AAA actually surprised me the most.

Me too.

My guess is he'll finish the season in Charlotte though, and will make Konerko expendable in 2010 if the Sox can deal him.

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (flavum @ Mar 18, 2009 -> 02:26 PM)
Gonzales also reporting Kelvin Jimenez was added to the cut list.

Hmmm, I wonder if the Sox might try to put him through waivers and get him off the 40 man roster at all.

QUOTE (CaliSoxFanViaSWside @ Mar 18, 2009 -> 10:46 AM)
Full list from Sox website press releases : * Optioned C Cole Armstrong, RHP Jon Link and 3B Dayan Viciedo to Class AAA Charlotte;

* Optioned INF Brandon Allen, RHP Jhonny Nunez and RHP Clevelan Santeliz to Class AA Birmingham;

* RHP Ryan Braun, INF Javier Castillo, C Tyler Flowers, RHP Franklyn German, OF Michael Restovich and RHP John Van Benschoten were reassigned to minor-league camp.

I wasn't too far off in my predictions from yesterdays game thread: I'll guess around 10 get cut: Von Benschoten, Link,Flowers, German, Santeliz, Torres, Restovich, Broussard, Castillo. Ryan Braun if he's there . Missed on Viciedo, Nunez, Allen,Armstrong,Broussard, Torres. Thought they would keep Vicedo and Allen around longer since they have so much power potential. Torres probably got a reprieve after Nix got hurt and he had that late inning 2 run triple yesterday. Still need a backup SS and the Sox won't keep Beckham around as a backup. Sox trimmed the logjam at catcher more than I thought they would. Thought the Sox might let Broussard go early to let him try to catch on with another team since they seem to have plenty of 1st base/DH types in the minors.

Edited by CaliSoxFanViaSWside

QUOTE (Palehosefan @ Mar 18, 2009 -> 02:01 PM)
I don't see how you got that out of the situation. Viciendo is 20 years old and will be in AAA, outside of Jon Garland, I can't think of many 20 year olds we have seen on our AAA team. Fields is clearly playing well enough to earn the 3B spot, and splitting time and at-bats will do nothing for Viciendo's potential and progress.

Brandon Allen going to AA instead of AAA actually surprised me the most.

No "n" in Dayan's last name, FWIW.

It's pronounced ""Vee-see-AY-doh"

QUOTE (SoxAce @ Mar 18, 2009 -> 02:36 PM)
Or just put Konerko, or even Allen himself, as a DH since Thome is all but gone after this season.

I think it's possible the Sox could have Viciedo and Allen rotating at 1B/DH next season, if Fields proves he can play at 3B.

Or Viciedo could play in a corner OF spot, so there's a lot of possibilities.

QUOTE (flavum @ Mar 18, 2009 -> 01:07 PM)
I'm not too surprised about Allen going to AA. He only played 41 games there last year. Plus Charlotte will probably have Broussard and maybe Myrow.

You beat me to it. I figured Brandon would be back at least for the first half. He's talented but still very raw and barely 22. He'll probably move up to Charlotte in the second half, especially if Myrow and Broussard aren't doing well. The funny thing I've noticed is the glut of third basemen that will be at Charlotte. C.J. Retherford has earned the starting spot in B'ham, so that means Viciedo, Castillo & Sergio Santos will be in Charlotte most likely. To make matters more messy, Charlotte's roster includes Gookie Dawkins, Keith Ginter & Javier Colina. Plus, Eider Torres, Brent Lillibridge and Jayson Nix may be in Charlotte as well. Beckham looks likely to head to B'ham also. There's also some players on the Barons roster who may or may not still be with the organization. In a nutshell, not everybody's making a team in the system.

QUOTE (Hawkfan @ Mar 18, 2009 -> 12:57 PM)
Viciedo must had some huge problems to send him down after 25 at bats, while at the same time hitting homeruns over 400 feet to opposite field. I'm interested in seeing how he does down at the lower levels, hopefully this will piss him off enough to get his s*** together, even though I know he is still young.

Huge problems, the kid is sent to AAA . How many 20 year olds do you see start at the AAA level?

Oh absolutely. JD is gone, put Q in RF or knowing ozzie he'll just leave him in LF, and put Dayan in the other. I hope they put him in RF though. Let him show off that cannon of his alittle... Vlad/J. Guillen style.

QUOTE (DBAHO @ Mar 18, 2009 -> 01:39 PM)
I think it's possible the Sox could have Viciedo and Allen rotating at 1B/DH next season, if Fields proves he can play at 3B.

Seems that way.

QUOTE (Cubano @ Mar 18, 2009 -> 11:52 AM)
I am mourning. :crying

Don't be too sad. Viciedo opened a lot of eyes with his power and agility at 3rd base. He's still well ahead of the curve just having turned 20 and in AAA. Now you have to keep tabs on him through the Future Sox section and the Charlotte Knights website and you can listen to their games for free. http://www.charlotteknights.com/

Edited by CaliSoxFanViaSWside

QUOTE (Soxpranos @ Mar 18, 2009 -> 07:43 PM)
Huge problems, the kid is sent to AAA . How many 20 year olds do you see start at the AAA level?

By problems, I meant swing problems, one's that are glaring enough to where its clear that he needs more than just more at bats.

QUOTE (CaliSoxFanViaSWside @ Mar 18, 2009 -> 01:59 PM)
Don't be too sad. Viciedo opened a lot of eyes with his power and agility at 3rd base. He's still well ahead of the curve just having turned 20 and in AAA. Now you have too keep tabs on him through the Future Sox section and the Charlotte Knights website and you can listen to their games for free. http://www.charlotteknights.com/

Some their games will be on MiLB.tv throughout the year. When they play in Buffalo, Scranton, Durham, Louisville and a few others that I cannot recall.

I'll take a shot at the 15 cuts to come:

Colon and Nix on the DL.

P: Broadway, MacDougal, Marquez, Russell, Wassermann, Williams

C: Lucy, Stewart

IF: Beckham, Broussard, Torres

OF: Kroeger, Owens

This means the bullpen will be Poreda, Thornton, Egbert, Carrasco, Dotel, Linebrink, Jenks

Richard will be the 5th starter.

There were no surprises even Viciedo going down to the minors. But, for him to go to AAA shows the confidence the Sox have in him and the talent he has shown. He just needs to work on laying off the down and away stuff. I think Allen really opened some eyes too.

QUOTE (DBAHO @ Mar 18, 2009 -> 06:39 PM)

I agree plus I think Allen has shown a lot of upside too

QUOTE (flavum @ Mar 18, 2009 -> 12:27 PM)
I'll take a shot at the 15 cuts to come:

Colon and Nix on the DL.

P: Broadway, MacDougal, Marquez, Russell, Wassermann, Williams

C: Lucy, Stewart

IF: Beckham, Broussard, Torres

OF: Kroeger, Owens

This means the bullpen will be Poreda, Thornton, Egbert, Carrasco, Dotel, Linebrink, Jenks

Richard will be the 5th starter.

That's not bad (assuming the Sox don't make any trades) though I still have a hard time thinking Poreda will be in the pen.

QUOTE (CaliSoxFanViaSWside @ Mar 18, 2009 -> 02:34 PM)
That's not bad (assuming the Sox don't make any trades) though I still have a hard time thinking Poreda will be in the pen.

I do too, but I think with Richard probably taking the 5th spot, they'll need a second lefty. Randy Williams may have a shot, but Poreda has been REAL impressive this spring. I think they'll give Poreda the spot if the other things fall into place: Colon on the DL, Richard in the rotation.

Edited by flavum