Sox and Angels, 3:05 pm CT

Jimmywins1

QUOTE (Jenks Heat @ Mar 18, 2009 -> 02:33 PM)
If AJ can bat second, why can't Thome? Should a guy get on first and be able to steal or get to second, the shift is out of play.

That isn't the worse idea, especially if the Sox happened to have another left handed bat for the middle portion of the order. Unfortunately we don't. It would be very unorthodox but I could see some plusses in having Thome up there. The negative of course is that you are taking him out of a lot of potential RBI opportunities.

• Replies 170
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Mar 18, 2009 -> 04:35 PM)
That isn't the worse idea, especially if the Sox happened to have another left handed bat for the middle portion of the order. Unfortunately we don't. It would be very unorthodox but I could see some plusses in having Thome up there. The negative of course is that you are taking him out of a lot of potential RBI opportunities.

And creating them for Quintin.

QUOTE (Kalapse @ Mar 18, 2009 -> 02:34 PM)
Alexei did hit .304/.331/.502/.833 after becoming a full time starter last year, sure there's almost no plate discipline present in that line but how many other hitters non-power hitters on this team are capable of hitting .300 or putting up a .330 OBP? (even if it is almost all batting average) The only thing that hurts is the .200 ISO in the #2 spot, that's a #5 or #6 hitter right there.

I think Getz/Alexei is the best idea given the current lineup. Ramirez has the speed the Sox want, can bunt, and really can handle the bat so you could utilize a lot of hit and runs and other things as well. Plus he has good pop so he could really start some big innings from the 2 hole, but not too much pop that you would be making a mistake having him hit so high.

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Mar 18, 2009 -> 04:42 PM)
I'm not an expert, but I think the new hitch in Becks swing is affecting his contact.

He does have a weird stance. Kind of a reverse pivot stance, with that bat pointing toward the pitcher. It's worked for him, so who am I to say it won't work. But it is unconventional.

QUOTE (southsideirish71 @ Mar 18, 2009 -> 04:50 PM)
DJ and Farmer sounding real dumb, on how we can't put Chris Getz at leadoff because he is a rookie. Yet putting a crappy player like Owens who was in the same situation was considered brilliant. Come on now. Common sense please.

Ray Durham led off in 1995, and he never played a game in the majors.

Getz can hit in the majors-period.

QUOTE (flavum @ Mar 18, 2009 -> 04:51 PM)

Now DJ states we should leave it to someone who has done it before like a Dewayne Wise. Jesus Christ.

Wise HBP. That dedication to take one from the team will keep him in Ozzie's horny mood, then he gets thrown out trying to steal. The last couple games, it's like Owens has infected him.. or giving him too much "tips".

QUOTE (flavum @ Mar 18, 2009 -> 04:51 PM)

Denard f***ing Span put up a .387 OBP for the Twins last season, he had never played a single game above AAA before last year. Give me a f***ing break.

QUOTE (SoxAce @ Mar 18, 2009 -> 04:58 PM)
Wise HBP. That dedication to take one from the team will keep him in Ozzie's horny mood, then he gets thrown out trying to steal. The last couple games, it's like Owens has infected him.. or giving him too much "tips".

Wise is the same player now as he was last week, bad. Bad players play well over 4 or 5 game spans in spring training, it doesn't change who they are.

DWEEZY TRACKER:

.281/.294/.469/.763, 0BB/7K, 1SB/1CS

QUOTE (Kalapse @ Mar 18, 2009 -> 04:59 PM)
Denard f***ing Span put up a .387 OBP for the Twins last season, he had never played a single game above AAA before last year. Give me a f***ing break.

They have to be getting direction on how they handle certain questions, because there is no way their two eyes watch the owens and wise fast out show and think this is major league quality.