Sox and Angels, 3:05 pm CT

Jimmywins1

• Replies 170
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Mar 18, 2009 -> 02:13 PM)
Whats been his main issue? His stuff looks big league caliber.

Its actually his stuff. He doesn't have any major control issues, but really has zero plus pitches. In general he's a very mediocre pitcher who doesn't have Buehrle like command or the ability to do much when it comes to changing speeds. He's been relatively poor in the minors and only had one even remotely solid season with the Angels a year or two ago. Really he's got a sinker and thats about it and his sinker isn't what I'd consider a plus pitch. He has had a few games though where his sinker is just on and at that time the secondary stuff is just enough.

QUOTE (Thunderbolt @ Mar 18, 2009 -> 10:11 PM)
Poor kid just wasted away his best chance of starting in the big leagues.

No offense, but I don't know of a single person besides you who really gave him much of a chance to be starting in the majors this season.

The Sox made it pretty evident that Lillibridge had a major hole in there swing. It sounded like they had an idea of the flaw but it will take a good amount of time for him to make the adjustment and there is obviously no guarantee that the adjustment works. I expect him to spend at least half a season in the minors and if all goes well later in the year he'd swing up to be a defensive replacement/pinch hitter with a shot at being an everyday backup here on out. I think there is very little chance of him ever becoming a starter.

Jenks threw a badass pitch down and in a couple pitches back. Looked really nasty.

QUOTE (fathom @ Mar 18, 2009 -> 04:16 PM)
No offense, but I don't know of a single person besides you who really gave him much of a chance to be starting in the majors this season.

It was funny listening to Joe Cowley yesterday on the Score talking about the leadoff spot. He just assumes that Brent Lillibridge is going to make the team as a utility man however "he's going to get his fair share of playing time, he can leadoff, he has that kind of speed." I'm beginning to hate baseball or maybe it's just morons like Joe Cowley and Ozzie Guil . . .

QUOTE (Kalapse @ Mar 18, 2009 -> 10:19 PM)
It was funny listening to Joe Cowley yesterday on the Score talking about the leadoff spot. He just assumes that Brent Lillibridge is going to make the team as a utility man however "he's going to get his fair share of playing time, he can leadoff, he has that kind of speed." I'm beginning to hate baseball or maybe it's just morons like Joe Cowley and Ozzie Guil . . .

If you follow the crap coming out of the mouths of KW, Ozzie, etc. right now, you will get really pissed off.

QUOTE (fathom @ Mar 18, 2009 -> 04:23 PM)
If you follow the crap coming out of the mouths of KW, Ozzie, etc. right now, you will get really pissed off.

And sadly I have.

Damn Getz gets down the line. Can anyone really deny at this point that Getz is quicker than Owens?

QUOTE (Kalapse @ Mar 18, 2009 -> 02:24 PM)
And sadly I have.

Damn Getz gets down the line. Can anyone really deny at this point that Getz is quicker than Owens?

He is faster. Getz is the fastest guy in the Sox system, imo. Not necessarily in a sprint, but out of the box he's fastest.

QUOTE (Kalapse @ Mar 18, 2009 -> 04:24 PM)
And sadly I have.

How about Getz for leadoff, and Ramirez as the number 2. I understand that Ramirez has a low OBP, but he seems to feast on fastballs and CQ would provide protection behind him.

QUOTE (southsideirish71 @ Mar 18, 2009 -> 10:27 PM)
How about Getz for leadoff, and Ramirez as the number 2. I understand that Ramirez has a low OBP, but he seems to feast on fastballs and CQ would provide protection behind him.

That would be ideal.

QUOTE (southsideirish71 @ Mar 18, 2009 -> 04:27 PM)

From yesterday:

QUOTE (Kalapse @ Mar 17, 2009 -> 09:20 PM)
Assuming Beckham will not make the team.

Getz - Regardless of the crippling pressure involved with leading off the bottom of the 1st he's the best fit at the top of the lineup given his tools as a hitter

Ramirez - Outside of Getz there are no other high/moderate OBP hitters left to hit in the 2 hole, at least with Alexei hitting second you're getting one of your best hitters more plate appearances and late in close games I want him getting that 4th or 5th PA that might not be afforded to a #6 or #7 hitter and will be given to a mediocre offensive player like Pierzynski in Ozzie's lineup.

Quentin

Dye

Thome

Konerko

Pierzynski

Fields

Anderson/Wise

i agree with getz leading off and have been saying it for a while...i can live with ramirez in the two hole....i think by the end of the year fields might not be a horrible option, but you can't have two guys who in were in AAA a year ago leading off, so ramirez is the default candidate because i think he makes a bit more sense there than AJ

Edited by daa84

QUOTE (southsideirish71 @ Mar 18, 2009 -> 02:27 PM)

The biggest reason I like Alexei in the 2 hole is that Alexei makes contact. The only guy with fewer K's/AB on the Sox than him last year was Cabrera, and that was Alexei's first season and he had some major early struggles.

QUOTE (daa84 @ Mar 18, 2009 -> 02:31 PM)
i agree with getz leading off and have been saying it for a while...i can live with ramirez in the two hole....i think by the end of the year fields might not be a horrible option, but you can't have two guys who in were in AAA a year ago leading off, so ramirez is the default candidate because i think he makes a bit more sense there than AJ

Fields K's so much right now that I don't want him there unless he majorly cuts down on that #. Then again, if he cuts down on his k's to the point where you'd want him in the 2 hole, he's going to be hitting .290+ with 40+ home runs, so he'll be a cleanup type guy by then.

Alexei did hit .304/.331/.502/.833 after becoming a full time starter last year, sure there's almost no plate discipline present in that line but how many other hitters non-power hitters on this team are capable of hitting .300 or putting up a .330 OBP? (even if it is almost all batting average) The only thing that hurts is the .200 ISO in the #2 spot, that's a #5 or #6 hitter right there.