Jonathan Hood resigned from AM 1000

SoxFan562004

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Mar 18, 2009 -> 03:06 PM)
He's going to Mike North's web-based sports station with Offman and Coppock and Huebner.....

First person who is going there who I actually might give a listen, always have liked Hood. I believe Rogers is going there too

QUOTE (shipps @ Mar 18, 2009 -> 03:34 PM)
WHAT THE f*** IS WRONG WITH THIS WORLD WHEN PEOPLE ARE FLOCKING FROM ESPN AND 670AM TO WORK WITH NORTH ON INTERNET RADIO! ARE YOU KIDDING ME.

^^^^^^^^^^^

But in all fairness, I have no problem relegating Offman, Coppock and Huebner to the net. Never liked any of them. Coppock was ok.

QUOTE (Athomeboy_2000 @ Mar 18, 2009 -> 03:37 PM)
^^^^^^^^^^^

But in all fairness, I have no problem relegating Offman, Coppock and Huebner to the net. Never liked any of them. Coppock was ok.

I just think it is a tremendously bad business decision on their parts. they are going to be looking for jobs in a year when this thing folds.

B&B are kind of brutal towards Offman

QUOTE (Kalapse @ Mar 18, 2009 -> 04:46 PM)
J Hood's shining moments have to be his Santo impression on B&B, his 2 hour late night interviews with Aaron Rowand usually spent talking about the Bears and Score hello. I don't think I heard any of him on 1000.

This. It sucks 670 doesn't do a Chicago overnight show anymore. They get some crazies calling in and always had unique moments.

Yeah, I remember always listening to Hood at night during the summer after getting in. I wonder why everyone makes a big deal about guys leaving stations and such. From the sound of it, all of you guys hate every sportscaster on ESPN1000 or The Score. I haven't ever seen more than 3 people in this city agree on the same radio host being a good host.

QUOTE (shipps @ Mar 18, 2009 -> 03:34 PM)
WHAT THE f*** IS WRONG WITH THIS WORLD WHEN PEOPLE ARE FLOCKING FROM ESPN AND 670AM TO WORK WITH NORTH ON INTERNET RADIO! ARE YOU KIDDING ME.

Sounds like they are throwing money around over there. 6 figures, guaranteed contracts.

QUOTE (Athomeboy_2000 @ Mar 18, 2009 -> 03:09 PM)
I was under the impression Hood did not like North. Guess I was wrong.

Supposedly North's partner is the money guy in this venture, and is throwing good money at these guys. I don't know if he likes North or not, but money talks, and although it may not work at the present time, this venture is pretty interesting. Kind of like the White Sox with their original PPV. They were just ahead of their time, which could happen with this as cars getting this programming seems to be a ways away. Eventually, there will be a ton of internet based stations.

QUOTE (Tony82087 @ Mar 18, 2009 -> 08:23 PM)
Not for quite some time.

Here is the problem with this venture. Even though it sounds like a "unique" idea, they don't hold any piece of the market that is untouched. This is strictly internet radio. ESPN and The Score are both streaming online at all times. Obviously, you can't get the internet station in your car, so they already behind the ball.

On top of it, the programming lineup is going to scare either station. Chet and Boom appeal to the 55 and over crowd. How many 55 year olds are going to stream internet radio every day? While Hood is a good guy and has talent, he couldn't make it on either station in town. I don't know why anyone should expect him being able to steal listeners from the two big boys.

It just isn't going to work.

Here's my question, how many internet only radio stations are successful? How many can afford to pay 6 figures to their talent? These are honest questions, I dont know. I would imagine not many if any. I used to listen to "Fearless Radio" a few years back, but they were running on almost no budget and I wouldnt call them successful.

QUOTE (Tony82087 @ Mar 18, 2009 -> 08:23 PM)
Not for quite some time.

Here is the problem with this venture. Even though it sounds like a "unique" idea, they don't hold any piece of the market that is untouched. This is strictly internet radio. ESPN and The Score are both streaming online at all times. Obviously, you can't get the internet station in your car, so they already behind the ball.

On top of it, the programming lineup isn't going to scare either station. Chet and Boom appeal to the 55 and over crowd. How many 55 year olds are going to stream internet radio every day? While Hood is a good guy and has talent, he couldn't make it on either station in town. I don't know why anyone should expect him being able to steal listeners from the two big boys.

It just isn't going to work.

Supposedly, their website will be leap years ahead of anyone else's, which is fine as long as you aren't driving. I think if they could keep their advertising mostly to their website and keep minimal commercials on the broadcasts, they would have a chance. People listening, at least where I live, if at home, would much rather listen to a web based transmission than AM which comes in horribley. Also, I'm not sure of this, but isn't the Scores website broadcast delayed a bit? I'm not a fan of the Score, I think most of their "talent" doesn't have much, and the commercials are ridiculous, plus I am probably one of the few who really enjoy Coppock. His show when it was on nightly on WMAQ AM with Dan McNeil as his go-fer was the best sports radio talk show ever.

Im kind of surprised that North didnt try and go the Sirius/XM route as opposed to this. At least then you know that people can tune you in while driving. But this internet "webio"(which is such a lame name) is nothing more than background noise for me. When I have my computer playing music or internet radio, its because I am cleaning the house and want something on in the background. When I am driving and listening to sports talk, I am really listening and focusing on the conversation and happenings

QUOTE (kyyle23 @ Mar 19, 2009 -> 10:22 AM)
Im kind of surprised that North didnt try and go the Sirius/XM route as opposed to this. At least then you know that people can tune you in while driving. But this internet "webio"(which is such a lame name) is nothing more than background noise for me. When I have my computer playing music or internet radio, its because I am cleaning the house and want something on in the background. When I am driving and listening to sports talk, I am really listening and focusing on the conversation and happenings

I guaran-damn-tee you that there business plan involves getting a channel to Siri/XM which may be loving the idea of free programming that they could get three mins of avails on... after all, with a stock price hovering between 5 and 40 cents a share these days, its just a matter of time before satellite radio disappears. Also look for them to offer shows from this station in some form of syndication too if they are serious about this.