Sergio Miranda Traded to MIL

NorthSideSox72

It'll probably be an A ball level player. What's a position that needs more depth in the lower levels? Maybe a catcher, maybe OF or 1B. Aside from Shelby III, Danks, Jose Martinez & maybe Jimmy Gallagher, there aren't many outfielders to write home about. Like I said, keep the name Freddy Parejo in mind. He played for Huntsville last year and I could see him coming back in return for Sergio Miranda.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Mar 20, 2009 -> 08:50 AM)
We aren't getting Tony Gwynn Jr for Sergio Miranda. First of all it would have been news. Second of all, really? Gwynn for Miranda? Come on guys.

Eh, maybe not a huge stretch. A barely usable backup OF? He has little value. Seems to me like it might be close to reasonabe.

Still more likely to be some other low lever minor leaguer though.

I doubt it would be anything like a ptbnl, but I couldn't find anything in a few minutes of research. But I am always intrigued when guys at this level get traded. It seems like there is always a personal angle, or something unique. Or perhaps the teams were discussing something from the mlb roster and had an oh, btw moment. Or maybe someone just gets bored and wants to do something

QUOTE (flavum @ Mar 20, 2009 -> 12:44 PM)
A different Sergio got traded too...Sergio Santos got traded to the Giants for future considerations.

Not surprised, he didn't have a spot at Charlotte or B'ham. He's only a third basemen. I knew some guys were gonna have to go outright because there were too many players and not enough spots.

Edited by JPN366

Got some confirmation on this, sort of.

From a Brewers forum, one of their posters got an email from the Brewers beat writer. This beat writer's disdain for his readers and for the players seems to eclipse even Cowley, which I didn't think was possible.

Long story short, its a done deal, Miranda is gone, and it doesn't appear to be part of any larger deal. Simply a purchase of contract. Best of luck, Sergio.

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Mar 23, 2009 -> 11:14 AM)
One more update. Mark Gonzales at the Trib responded to an email from me, saying Miranda was traded for "future considerations", much like Stewart was.

Seems like Kenny Williams is setting up some teams to call in favors later on. Sergio Santos, Sergio Miranda & Chris Stewart all for "future considerations."

QUOTE (JPN366 @ Mar 23, 2009 -> 11:30 AM)
Seems like Kenny Williams is setting up some teams to call in favors later on. Sergio Santos, Sergio Miranda & Chris Stewart all for "future considerations."

How does that work, exactly? Is it much different from PTBNL?

QUOTE (Kenny Hates Prospects @ Mar 23, 2009 -> 04:03 PM)
I'm surprised we didn't get anything for Miranda. I thought he was a pretty decent UT prospect? I liked him anyway.

I tend to agree. As a middle infielder, a guy who draws walks as often or more than he strikes out most of the time, has a reputation of solid defense at skill positions, has played SS (natural position), 2B and 3B, high 300's OBP in all but that 1.5 month first stint at W-S, OPS in the mid to high 700's with a batter's eye that could add power later, switch hitter, and still relatively young... for a middle infielder, seems like he at least deserves a continued look.

The middle infield in the mid minors is very crowded now, so, they probably were willing to take offers on whomever they could get value for that wasn't Beckham. Whatever the "future consideration" is from MIL might be the best offer they got.

I wouldn't call him Top 10 in the system, but, I think he could sneak into the top 25, or close to it. I guess they thought otherwise.

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Mar 23, 2009 -> 04:08 PM)
I tend to agree. As a middle infielder, a guy who draws walks as often or more than he strikes out most of the time, has a reputation of solid defense at skill positions, has played SS (natural position), 2B and 3B, high 300's OBP in all but that 1.5 month first stint at W-S, OPS in the mid to high 700's with a batter's eye that could add power later, switch hitter, and still relatively young... for a middle infielder, seems like he at least deserves a continued look.

The middle infield in the mid minors is very crowded now, so, they probably were willing to take offers on whomever they could get value for that wasn't Beckham. Whatever the "future consideration" is from MIL might be the best offer they got.

I wouldn't call him Top 10 in the system, but, I think he could sneak into the top 25, or close to it. I guess they thought otherwise.

Yeah I agree, but the Brewers site you linked to here says just cash. I mean he must have a decent arm, and he must be able to make the basic plays, and control his bat, and like you said with a good eye... that doesn't scream world beater, but it does sound like a guy we'd at least want to let fail before we move him out, and Miranda didn't exactly fail in his stint here. He struggled but then adjusted later, and that came at the beginning of the season. And as any baseball fan knows, hitters often get off to slow starts as it is, and from his experience and the numbers he put up in Rookie ball and Kanny I highly doubt he was terribly overmatched by the pitching in W-S. So, it may have just been a bad start and nothing more, or a dumb little injury, or him pressing, or something relatively small like that that really isn't an indicator of future success or failure, but I guess if you're a minor leaguer and you're not a top prospect then you've got to hit right out of the gate in order to keep from being sent down.

Anyway, I hope we got something aside from just a small amount of cash. Hopefully we'll get a chance to pick someone from a group of longshots later on, maybe like the Aardsma deal type where we picked up a supposedly good arm in Socolovich who I believe was a converted infielder. Something like that would do. I don't expect a lot obviously, but at least someone interesting would be nice because we don't exactly have the type of awesome all-around depth in our system that would force us to pass on developing bench players. Even if they don't break in with us, they're still good to have around if you need to trade for a halfway decent middle reliever or a bench bat or what have you.