Guillen throws more names in the hat for leadoff

Saw that artcile this morning, kind of irritates me. Headline says Anderson and Fields under consideration for leadoff, right? Yet, look at the actual quotes. Guillen has said that Getz is, but has NOT said Fields or Anderson. Looks like those two names are conjecture on the writer's part.

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Mar 20, 2009 -> 12:36 PM)
Saw that artcile this morning, kind of irritates me. Headline says Anderson and Fields under consideration for leadoff, right? Yet, look at the actual quotes. Guillen has said that Getz is, but has NOT said Fields or Anderson. Looks like those two names are conjecture on the writer's part.

If that's conjecture, who in the hell would "conject" Anderson or Fields? Especially Anderson?

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Mar 20, 2009 -> 11:37 AM)
If these 2 are even a remote consideration and not just BS, Why in the world did KW not go after Crisp or Hudson?

Gregor in the daily herald seems to think KW is close to making a deal for a CF with leadoff capabilities.

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Mar 20, 2009 -> 10:41 AM)
Well, we did just trade Sergio Miranda to the Brewers. Could be related somehow maybe?

Could it be a precursor to a three-way trade somehow?

If it's not a three-way trade, I wonder what CF or leadoff-type guys we could possibly get from the Brewers? Gwynn Jr???

QUOTE (SouthsideDon48 @ Mar 20, 2009 -> 12:12 PM)
Could it be a precursor to a three-way trade somehow?

If it's not a three-way trade, I wonder what CF or leadoff-type guys we could possibly get from the Brewers? Gwynn Jr???

Gwynn Jr. is no better than Owens or Wise unfortunately. He is also out of options. He has a nice name, but he doesn't have much game.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Mar 20, 2009 -> 11:58 AM)
If its true, and Gregor has never struck me as a guy who breaks stories,it almost has to be the return of Pods.

although i wouldnt mind too much,pods leading off bcuz thats just how much i think owens and wise suck, i dont see it happening or want it to bcuz i dont think he can play cf and thats where he could only play

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Mar 20, 2009 -> 12:18 PM)
I was actually thinking Lofton.

Lofton would have been a much better option last year than Griffey, and would have cost less. He's either 40 or 41 and hasn't played in 18 months. I think its a longshot he can be very effective and stay healthy, although I'm sure he is still an upgrade over Owens and Wise.

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Mar 20, 2009 -> 09:36 AM)

The same thing in the Sun-times http://www.suntimes.com/sports/deluca/1486...eluca20.article Said it was discussed in a meeting.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Mar 20, 2009 -> 12:23 PM)
Lofton would have been a much better option last year than Griffey, and would have cost less. He's either 40 or 41 and hasn't played in 18 months. I think its a longshot he can be very effective and stay healthy, although I'm sure he is still an upgrade over Owens and Wise.

Its not going to be anyone good. Pierre, Lofton, PODS, are all third or fourth tier players, but are better than Owens and Wise.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Mar 20, 2009 -> 11:15 AM)
Gwynn Jr. is no better than Owens or Wise unfortunately. He is also out of options. He has a nice name, but he doesn't have much game.

That's true, but at least someone like Gwynn would give the Sox more options to choose from.

Also, we're not going to get anyone spectacular in return for just one minor leaguer in a two-team trade. I think guys like Cameron and Bill Hall are out of the question, and Braun and Hart are not even in the realm of possibility. So it leaves the possibilities to some random minor leaguer from the Brewers' system or someone like Gwynn. And the fact that Gwynn is out of options makes it much more plausible, from the Brewers' perspective, that they'd take a chance to trade him away without losing him if they tried to slip him through waivers.

Gwynn may not be good, but he seems like the "diamond in the rough" project guy that the Sox organization tend to go after. hmmmmm.

I'm just 100% speculating here, but it'd be cool if the Sox end up doing something that I speculated.... that way I can say "I called it." :)

Someone on here kept suggesting Gregor Blanco before, but I thought that to be pretty unlikely. I just checked the Braves site though, and Schaffer is killing the ball in ST. Of course it's just ST, but Schaffer is legitimately in the CF mix there and could get the starting job.

I don't know how wise it would be for the Braves to trade a player like Blanco and count on a rookie, especially when you've got Francouer and Garrett Anderson/Matt Diaz around him, but if there's any chance I'd love that. But, I still think that would be unlikely because it's not out of the realm of possibility that Garrett Anderson gets hurt, Schaffer struggles as a rookie, and Francouer continues to play like a bust. With Gorkys and Heyward far away, and with Brandon Jones being a sucky player, they'd risk trading all their depth. Plus Blanco wouldn't come cheap at all if he even were to be put on the block.

There's not a whole lot out there and I'd rather stick with Anderson if we're not going to come up with a real solution. The lead-off issue is going to be a much bigger problem to figure out in ST than it will be during the regular season, because if whoever is in that spot is not hitting when it matters, the Sox will put somebody else in that role regardless of that player's best spot in the order. The Sox would probably rather call up The Pussy Slayer and throw him in CF than let Jerry Oh No!wens hit .150 for a month at the top of the lineup. My guess would be Getz getting the nod though.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Mar 20, 2009 -> 12:58 PM)
I disagree. BA is leading off today. The White Sox lead off man might not have a .300 OBP this year.

Meh, no matter what they say they're not going to lead off with Brian. Maybe that's why the writer thinks the Sox are close to making a deal, because they're just faking a competition at this point.

From the looks of it, a quick guess would be that Owens was their guy and Anderson was their 4th OF. Wise was brought in as a challenge, but wasn't expected to make the roster. Now that they've moved from Tucson to Glendale there's not as much sand blowing into their eyes during baseball games, which would partially blind them during ST as they tried to evaluate players such as Mike Jackson, Rick White, Scott Schoenweis, and Jerry Owens. Seeing clearly now, they all realize Owens blows and are now going to get a fast guy that can at least play defense and hit the ball halfway to the warning track. By the time they see that the player they will acquire cannot lead off, it'll be about time to start the "Junior back to Sox???" speculation threads.