Guillen throws more names in the hat for leadoff

QUOTE (CanOfCorn @ Mar 20, 2009 -> 01:35 PM)
If BA or Fields only leads off against LHSP, would that be so bad? I dont' think so.

With Owens or Wise leading off against righties? Easily the worst leadoff combo in the major leagues. Maybe in the history of the major leagues. I will say this, maybe leading off would help BA or Fields a little. Make them cut down their swing a bit. I just don't see their OBP's rising through the roof.

Edited by Dick Allen

I'm all for BA being on this team as a 4th OF/defensive replacement. Hell, go ahead and give him some starts, he's awesome defensively and could put up a .250/15/40 line if he gets 400 ABs IMO, but for the love of everything DO NOT put him leadoff.

Ozzie won't do this, because a 3 pitch KO isn't what we need to jumpstart the offense every game, which is what will happen at least 50% of the time.

QUOTE (Kenny Hates Prospects @ Mar 20, 2009 -> 10:47 AM)
Someone on here kept suggesting Gregor Blanco before, but I thought that to be pretty unlikely. I just checked the Braves site though, and Schaffer is killing the ball in ST. Of course it's just ST, but Schaffer is legitimately in the CF mix there and could get the starting job.

I don't know how wise it would be for the Braves to trade a player like Blanco and count on a rookie, especially when you've got Francouer and Garrett Anderson/Matt Diaz around him, but if there's any chance I'd love that. But, I still think that would be unlikely because it's not out of the realm of possibility that Garrett Anderson gets hurt, Schaffer struggles as a rookie, and Francouer continues to play like a bust. With Gorkys and Heyward far away, and with Brandon Jones being a sucky player, they'd risk trading all their depth. Plus Blanco wouldn't come cheap at all if he even were to be put on the block.

There's not a whole lot out there and I'd rather stick with Anderson if we're not going to come up with a real solution. The lead-off issue is going to be a much bigger problem to figure out in ST than it will be during the regular season, because if whoever is in that spot is not hitting when it matters, the Sox will put somebody else in that role regardless of that player's best spot in the order. The Sox would probably rather call up The Pussy Slayer and throw him in CF than let Jerry Oh No!wens hit .150 for a month at the top of the lineup. My guess would be Getz getting the nod though.

Ahh but you forgot about a guy who might be better than Blanco with the Braves and its not Schafer. It's Josh Anderson who is out of options. He was drafted in the 4th round of the 2003 draft. BA was a 1st rounder in the same draft. He has a .344 OBP in almost 3000 minor MiL AB. BA had a .364 OBP in 1136 MiL AB. Josh A. in 2 abbreviated seasons with Houston and Atlanta has a .315 BA and a .364 OBP with 14 XBH in 203 AB. In the last 4 seasons in the minors Josh A. has 175 SB averaging near 44 a yr. I read he's a better fielder than Blanco and over all is considered a good fielder.

Don't know if he's available but he's fast, can field and can hit which makes him better than Wise, Owens,and Blanco (another slap hitter , not the best fielder type). He's basically the same height , weight and age as BA except faster , bats LH and slightly less power. He might be slated to be the starting CF with the Braves but Blanco got the majority of the PT last year and Schafer is very close to being ready. Would be cool seeing the Sox with Josh and Brian Anderson.

Edited by CaliSoxFanViaSWside

QUOTE (CaliSoxFanViaSWside @ Mar 20, 2009 -> 01:57 PM)
Ahh but you forgot about a guy who might be better than Blanco with the Braves and its not Schafer. It's Josh Anderson who is out of options. He was drafted in the 4th round of the 2003 draft. BA was a 1st rounder in the same draft. He has a .344 OBP in almost 3000 minor MiL AB. BA had a .364 OBP in 1136 MiL AB. Josh A. in 2 abbreviated seasons with Houston and Atlanta has a .315 BA and a .364 OBP with 14 XBH in 203 AB. In the last 4 seasons in the minors Josh A. has 175 SB averaging near 44 a yr. I read he's a better fielder than Blanco and over all is considered a good fielder.

Don't know if he's available but he's fast, can field and can hit which makes him better than Wise, Owens, Blanco (another slap hitter , not the best fielder type). He's basically the same height , weight and age as BA except faster , bats LH and slightly less power. Would be cool seeing the Sox with Josh and Brian Anderson.

Did we accidentally pick the wrong Anderson in that 2003 draft, or what? :lolhitting

QUOTE (CaliSoxFanViaSWside @ Mar 20, 2009 -> 02:57 PM)

Don't know if he's available but he's fast, can field and can hit which makes him better than Wise, Owens, Blanco (another slap hitter , not the best fielder type). He's basically the same height , weight and age as BA except faster , bats LH and slightly less power. Would be cool seeing the Sox with Josh and Brian Anderson.

I got to see him at Round Rock, Houston's AAA affliate, and he was, by far, the best player on that team. Then again, that team wasn't very good. But the fans treated him the way they treated Chris Burke, who's a 9.5 on the Grindy Scale.

TTFWIW

QUOTE (CanOfCorn @ Mar 20, 2009 -> 01:42 PM)
I got to see him at Round Rock, Houston's AAA affliate, and he was, by far, the best player on that team. Then again, that team wasn't very good. But the fans treated him the way they treated Chris Burke, who's a 9.5 on the Grindy Scale.

TTFWIW

How good of a fielder is Josh Anderson? I hear he's right up there with BA as a fielder .