Colon Improving

WSoxMatt

Colon, who is coming back from offseason elbow surgery, allowed three hits and no runs. He struck out four without walking a batter in three innings, and threw 35 of his 44 pitches for strikes.

“Colon threw the ball well,” Guillen said. “I feel pretty good with what I see. We’ll have to wait until tomorrow to see how he feels. The last time he pitched, he was stiff.

“We got to be patient. If Colon is not ready to start the season, we’ll have Plan B.”

If Colon and Contreras aren’t ready to go at the season’s start, Plan B—at least for one rotation spot—would appear to be Clayton Richard, who has been impressive this spring.

http://sports.yahoo.com/mlb/recap?gid=290320104

So where are we at with Colon and Contreras? White Sox.com has Contreras inserted as the 4th starter and Colon 6th. I'm thinking Colon will start the year down in the farm to build up his arm strength. With Marquez injury, its looking more and more like Richard will be our 5th starter until Colon is ready. I like the fact that we can plug in Richard or Marquez all season long and hopefully soon enough Poreda will make his debut.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Mar 21, 2009 -> 10:04 PM)
They said during the game today that he was only hitting 87 on the gun, and to not be surprised if he is not the fifth starter at the beginning of the season.

His lack of velocity frightens me a bit, considering who he is. 87 just seems WAY slow for Colon, considering he could hit low 90's without trying just a few years ago, and mid 90's while barely trying. Granted, he does get stronger the more he pitches, but I'm hoping he can consistently hit 92 by the time the season starts.

QUOTE (Y2HH @ Mar 23, 2009 -> 07:01 AM)
His lack of velocity frightens me a bit, considering who he is. 87 just seems WAY slow for Colon, considering he could hit low 90's without trying just a few years ago, and mid 90's while barely trying. Granted, he does get stronger the more he pitches, but I'm hoping he can consistently hit 92 by the time the season starts.

He was up to 95 last year. He had chips taken out of his elbow. I would imagine he would be between 92-95 eventually.