Birmingham roster?

scenario

Too early to know who all the players will be yet, but...

Looks like Birmingham could have an outstanding team the first half of 2009.

Beckham at SS

Brandon Allen at 1B

John Shelby in LF

Stefan Gartrell in RF

Tyler Flowers at C

CJ Retherford at 3B

And a good group of pitchers including...

John Ely

Lucas Harrell

Clevelan Santeliz

Jhonny Nunez

It's going to be a very interesting team to watch.

QUOTE (scenario @ Mar 22, 2009 -> 10:20 AM)
Too early to know who all the players will be yet, but...

Looks like Birmingham could have an outstanding team the first half of 2009.

Beckham at SS

Brandon Allen at 1B

John Shelby in LF

Stefan Gartrell in RF

Tyler Flowers at C

CJ Retherford at 3B

And a good group of pitchers including...

John Ely

Lucas Harrell

Clevelan Santeliz

Jhonny Nunez

It's going to be a very interesting team to watch.

I'm guessing Greg Paiml and Joe Persichina will man 2B, Donny Lucy backs up Flowers, the outfield beyond John Shelby III is anybody's guess. Salvador Sanchez, Miguel Negron, Stefan Gartrell, Estee Harris & Ronnie Gaines are possibilities. Although Negron and Gartrell did more than enough to deserve a promotion to Charlotte. Negron's proved all that he can at AA with B'ham and the other teams he's played for. Aside from batting average and K's, Gartrell is ready for AAA. Brian Omogrosso should be back since he had injury setbacks last year. Most of the W-S picthing staff should move up to AA. I think Francisco Hernandez will repeat A ball. The big question marks position player wise in my mind are names like Javier Colina, Robbie Hudson, C.J. Lang, Freddie Thon, Jared Price, Eric Hollis, Brett Bonvechio, Adam Ricks & Lee Cruz. I think most, if not all, will be gone.

Edited by JPN366

QUOTE (Thunderbolt @ Mar 22, 2009 -> 12:57 PM)
If you like Birmingham wait to you see the team we could field in Charlotte.

C Armstrong

1B Broussard

2b Ginter

3b Viciedo

SS Lillibridge

RF Kroeger

CF Owens

LF Restovich

DH Cook

BN: Raines JR, Lucy

Poreda

JVG

Egbert

Broadway

Russel

German

Wasserman

Mcdougal

Williams

Don't forget the Gookie.

QUOTE (bighurt4life @ Mar 22, 2009 -> 03:59 PM)
I'd be surprised to see him at Charlotte. Very rarely do they jump second year players that far up.

We already sent Viciedo to Charlotte and he's a 20 year old getting his first taste of Pro baseball. Also, in another article, there was mention that Beckham will be headed to Charlotte. However, that could be just speculation by the writer.

Ginter at 2B for Charlotte? I'd guess its Nix, or V-Merc.

Also, with Stewart gone, its Lucy to Charlotte more likely now, as I thought. Lucy in B-Ham would basically be saying, your career is done, go teach Tyler.

I still think Lucy has better potential than Armstrong, and judging by how quick they moved armstrong to the minor league camp, I think the organization agrees.

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Mar 22, 2009 -> 05:03 PM)
Ginter at 2B for Charlotte? I'd guess its Nix, or V-Merc.

Also, with Stewart gone, its Lucy to Charlotte more likely now, as I thought. Lucy in B-Ham would basically be saying, your career is done, go teach Tyler.

I still think Lucy has better potential than Armstrong, and judging by how quick they moved armstrong to the minor league camp, I think the organization agrees.

Unfortunately the most clutch hitter I've ever seen, Victor Mercedes, is no longer in the organization.

QUOTE (JPN366 @ Mar 22, 2009 -> 06:04 PM)
Unfortunately the most clutch hitter I've ever seen, Victor Mercedes, is no longer in the organization.

ah, I didn't know that. Well, that does make the middle infield in Charlotte and B-Ham a little less crowded. Lots of people to fit in there.

If Beckham goes to Charlotte like I think he will, I think that makes Lillibridge the 2B for Charlotte.

I wonder where Javier Castillo figures in. He isn't much of a prospect, but I liked what I saw from him in spring, perhaps a future bench player. Do we keep him in Charlotte and have him work at more positions like SS, 2B, 1B, OF, etc, or do we put him back in Birmingham and let him play everyday at 3B?

QUOTE (BearSox @ Mar 22, 2009 -> 04:51 PM)

We already sent Viciedo to Charlotte and he's a 20 year old getting his first taste of Pro baseball. Also, in another article, there was mention that Beckham will be headed to Charlotte. However, that could be just speculation by the writer.

Viciedo has been playing professionally for four years now.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Mar 23, 2009 -> 07:47 AM)
Viciedo has been playing professionally for four years now.

Beckham played vs. top college competition for 4 years. Granted the Cuban League is most likely tougher, Viciedo is much more raw than Beckham, IMO. Also considering there was a chance for him to make the team this year, it wouldn't surprise me in the least to see if he gets assigned to Charlotte.

Edited by BearSox

QUOTE (BearSox @ Mar 23, 2009 -> 07:52 AM)
Beckham played vs. top college competition for 4 years. Granted the Cuban League is most likely tougher, Viciedo is much more raw than Beckham, IMO. Also considering there was a chance for him to make the team this year, it wouldn't surprise me in the least to see if he gets assigned to Charlotte.

College baseball is not anywhere near playing in the Cuban professional leagues and international tournament play.

QUOTE (BearSox @ Mar 22, 2009 -> 06:42 PM)
If Beckham goes to Charlotte like I think he will, I think that makes Lillibridge the 2B for Charlotte.

I wonder where Javier Castillo figures in. He isn't much of a prospect, but I liked what I saw from him in spring, perhaps a future bench player. Do we keep him in Charlotte and have him work at more positions like SS, 2B, 1B, OF, etc, or do we put him back in Birmingham and let him play everyday at 3B?

Javy can play 1B, but I don't think he's nimble enough to play the middle. He's a very large man, maybe he could play RF and/or LF.

QUOTE (BearSox @ Mar 23, 2009 -> 07:52 AM)

I'm not sure Beckham was ever considered to make the team out of Spring. It was generally agreed by the people on here that he would have absolutely had to tear it up (like .400/.500/.700 in Spring) and every other candidate would have had to tank for him to make, and those were the vibes the organization sent out too. Instead, he was just decent, and he's going to go down to the minors. I also don't know how raw Viciedo is after hitting decently, and AAA isn't a bad starting spot for him considering how he handled the Cuban league as a younger player.

• 2 weeks later...
QUOTE (JPN366 @ Mar 22, 2009 -> 10:19 AM)
I'm guessing Greg Paiml and Joe Persichina will man 2B, Donny Lucy backs up Flowers, the outfield beyond John Shelby III is anybody's guess. Salvador Sanchez, Miguel Negron, Stefan Gartrell, Estee Harris & Ronnie Gaines are possibilities. Although Negron and Gartrell did more than enough to deserve a promotion to Charlotte. Negron's proved all that he can at AA with B'ham and the other teams he's played for. Aside from batting average and K's, Gartrell is ready for AAA. Brian Omogrosso should be back since he had injury setbacks last year. Most of the W-S picthing staff should move up to AA. I think Francisco Hernandez will repeat A ball. The big question marks position player wise in my mind are names like Javier Colina, Robbie Hudson, C.J. Lang, Freddie Thon, Jared Price, Eric Hollis, Brett Bonvechio, Adam Ricks & Lee Cruz. I think most, if not all, will be gone.

Have you heard if Paiml will be in Birmingham? I really hope he is. Greg was a batboy for the Barons for several years while younger, so he knows the Hoover Met (I don't call it RP) very well. It would be great to see the kid make it back as a player.

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Mar 23, 2009 -> 04:16 PM)
I'm not sure Beckham was ever considered to make the team out of Spring. It was generally agreed by the people on here that he would have absolutely had to tear it up (like .400/.500/.700 in Spring) and every other candidate would have had to tank for him to make, and those were the vibes the organization sent out too. Instead, he was just decent, and he's going to go down to the minors. I also don't know how raw Viciedo is after hitting decently, and AAA isn't a bad starting spot for him considering how he handled the Cuban league as a younger player.

The only logic of Charlotte seems to be:

1) He can really build his confidence as an offensive player in a smaller stadium that plays more similar to USCF right off the bat

2) While the the starting rotations in AA boast of more prospects and harder throwers with better overall stuff, he'll be exposed to more ex major leaguers with experience and a steadier diet of offspeed and junk pitches than he would be in AA. We know he can crush fastballs, but the question (as it is with 95% of players when they're rookies) is how will he do when he gets behind in the count or when he has to deal with curves, sliders and change-ups off the plate. In this area, he has shown some positive signs of being able to pepper the ball up the middle and to RCF, which will obviously get him to Chicago faster (or an injury to someone at 3B, 1B, DH, LF, RF)

QUOTE (Rex Hudler @ Apr 5, 2009 -> 11:22 PM)
Have you heard if Paiml will be in Birmingham? I really hope he is. Greg was a batboy for the Barons for several years while younger, so he knows the Hoover Met (I don't call it RP) very well. It would be great to see the kid make it back as a player.

I've heard that Paiml will likely be in B'ham. Considering he is 24 going on 25, it's time to push him up. He spent most of last year in W-S, and he did fairly well. Although he may be more of a backup at 2B, SS & 3B. I knew about his time as a batboy, plus he went to Hoover High, and was a 4 year starter at Alabama. I hoping to see him as well, the only local player we've had since Wassermann is Eric Hollis, and he's basically a bullpen/emergency catcher. Paiml did get into one spring game with the big league club last week.