Why is BA getting a look at leadoff?

Princess Dye

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Princess Dye @ Mar 22, 2009 -> 02:46 PM)
i really cant wrap my mind around this one. He doesnt have a short quick swing, he doesnt take walks. He'll get from first to third but thats about all I can think. He wont steal bases.

Are you referring to the news articles stating this? Or are you referring to the fact that BA has hit leadoff in some spring training games recently?

IMO, the former is just Ozzie BS'ing, if there's any truth to it at all. The way the Trib article was written, it appeared to be more speculation on the writer's part than any actual statement by Ozzie. On the latter, I think Ozzie is trying to give the guys still in competition for spots as many ABs as possible.

QUOTE (Kalapse @ Mar 22, 2009 -> 01:56 PM)
He's just as much of a leadoff hitter as Dewayne Wise, perhaps it's a matter of equality since Wise is the frontrunner for the leadoff job vs righties.

cowley said right now on monsters in the morning that he likes wise over owens bcuz that when it was crunch time and the games really matterd, he stepped up. really? i dont recall seeing that in sept and the last week lol

QUOTE (Melissa1334 @ Mar 23, 2009 -> 09:45 AM)
cowley said right now on monsters in the morning that he likes wise over owens bcuz that when it was crunch time and the games really matterd, he stepped up. really? i dont recall seeing that in sept and the last week lol

I recall one HR in that playoff game off the top of my head... in September he was brutal.

QUOTE (Melissa1334 @ Mar 23, 2009 -> 08:45 AM)

Cowley must have been drunk when Wise finished the season 5-39. Its really amazing an idiot like him is a beat writer for a major newspaper in a large town. He's really a joke.

Edited by Dick Allen

Memories lie, often. That's why we have things like game logs so we're not relying solely on memory like that hack Cowley. Wise had 1 truly "big" hit in September (not counting his 2 for 7 performance in the playoffs) and even that came in the bottom of the 8th in a tied game against a last place team off an awful reliever.

Handing a career minor leaguer 31 year old a starting job because he turned on a straight fastball from Kyle Farnsworth in mid-september sounds like a pretty stupid idea to me.

QUOTE (Kalapse @ Mar 23, 2009 -> 09:57 AM)
Handing a career minor leaguer 31 year old a starting job because he turned on a straight fastball from Kyle Farnsworth in mid-september sounds like a pretty stupid idea to me.

He has shown more of an ability to get hot than the other two candidates. They're all poor hitters. One has shown he can hit in the clutch.

Seeing as how he'll lead the team in plate appearances each game, I'll take that over the other two options, as long as defense will remain decent at the position.

QUOTE (Princess Dye @ Mar 23, 2009 -> 10:15 AM)
He has shown more of an ability to get hot than the other two candidates. They're all poor hitters. One has shown he can hit in the clutch.

Seeing as how he'll lead the team in plate appearances each game, I'll take that over the other two options, as long as defense will remain decent at the position.

More of an ability to get hot? In what regard? He had 2 small hot streaks last year, both of which were followed by even longer debilitating cold streaks. What player in baseball isn't capable of that? Hell Anderson had more than a few 1 or 2 week stretches in '06 where he teared the cover off the ball. And when exactly did he show an ability to hit the clutch? Wasn't last year.

Can BA bunt? If so, I know he's not fast, but I also know Ozzie likes the bunt (or would if he had someone who could do it).

Also, if Getz can prove he can hit ML pitching by May, he'll be at the top of the order. JMHO.

QUOTE (Princess Dye @ Mar 23, 2009 -> 10:15 AM)

When exactly did Wise show the capability to play decent defense. He is a poor defender who takes bad routes constantly. How many times must we see him react poorly on the stroke of the bat, then run to the wall to get the ball that he should of either caught or kept in front of him. Defense is not one of Wise's skillsets.

QUOTE (southsideirish71 @ Mar 23, 2009 -> 11:13 AM)
When exactly did Wise show the capability to play decent defense. He is a poor defender who takes bad routes constantly. How many times must we see him react poorly on the stroke of the bat, then run to the wall to get the ball that he should of either caught or kept in front of him. Defense is not one of Wise's skillsets.

I dont think we saw him enough there last year. For offense and defense, people act as if we had Wise as a starting CF for a whole year.

I'm not saying it'll be a strength but I dont know that it's a giant weakness for him over the course of the next year. I remember a bad moment or two last year, but I wont judge until I see a larger sample size.

No one would argue he's a worldbeater. Just saying he's better than the other two CF options.

Edited by Princess Dye

QUOTE (Princess Dye @ Mar 23, 2009 -> 11:16 AM)
I dont think we saw him enough there last year. For offense and defense, people act as if we had Wise as a starting CF for a whole year.

I'm not saying it'll be a strength but I dont know that it's a giant weakness for him over the course of the next year. I remember a bad moment or two last year, but I wont judge until I see a larger sample size.

No one would argue he's a worldbeater. Just saying he's better than the other two CF options.

3 guys can't hit, I will take the guy who can actually catch the ball and is a natural CF over the other 2. And that isn't Wise.

QUOTE (Princess Dye @ Mar 23, 2009 -> 11:16 AM)

I still haven't seen a convincing argument as to why this is the case.

QUOTE (Kalapse @ Mar 23, 2009 -> 11:34 AM)
I still haven't seen a convincing argument as to why this is the case.

Wise last year had the higher Avg and OBP than Anderson. He had 5 RBIs in 7 ABs in the postseason. Overall his postseason offensive stats were solid.

I think that adding a clutch hitter to your lineup matters more than that sliver of flyballs that cant be gotten to by Wise/Dye that can be gotten to by Anderson/Dye.

If your team's out of contention, fielding can get you more wins. If your team's in contention, which we hope to be, then what will matter more is that extra clutch hitter. If our pitchers are allowing tons of gappers that test the centerfielder all year, then we arent playing for anything anyway and it matters less.

To me, the opportunity cost of BA in the lineup is too great. I hope this is finally the year that this stance is wrong.

Edited by Princess Dye

And people will get on me for the last post, but I think in 05 our winning the world series was not all-out determined by having Rowand in CF. That was icing on the cake, but we couldve won the title with a lesser defensive CF.

A bigger reason we won is that we were dangerous 1 thru 9. We had quick bats in that lineup, not long swings like Anderson's.

A guy like 05 Uribe, to me, compares to Wise. He can be clutch, even if his norm is unimpressive. Anderson at the ML level has only shown the occasional power and hasnt proven he can do X in situation Y. It's just totally random with him.

Edited by Princess Dye

QUOTE (Princess Dye @ Mar 23, 2009 -> 01:20 PM)
A bigger reason we won is that we were dangerous 1 thru 9. We had quick bats in that lineup, not long swings like Anderson's.

Our offense was pretty much s*** in '05 to be honest. We won because of rock solid starting pitching and a bizarre alignment of career years from the bullpen.

Edit: and as much as I think Uribe blows as an offensive player, it's kind of an insult to Uribe to compare even the diminished version of his defense to Wise - to say nothing of the GG caliber defense he had in '05. But at the plate, still, Wise is just not going to run into 20 pitches that go over the fence the way Uribe does. Uribe 10 times out of 10 vs. Wise.

Edited by lostfan

QUOTE (Princess Dye @ Mar 23, 2009 -> 12:20 PM)
And people will get on me for the last post, but I think in 05 our winning the world series was not all-out determined by having Rowand in CF. That was icing on the cake, but we couldve won the title with a lesser defensive CF.

We won in 05 because of outstanding pitching from the starters through the relief crew and playing good defense. Quick bats in the lineup? Its the same offense we have had for years. Take that pitching and add it to a lot of our other teams and they have a chance.