Sox on Plan D in CF

southsider2k5

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Mar 24, 2009 -> 01:23 PM)
I'm willing to sacrafice OBP for a hitter who can see alot of pitches and have a little power to be dangerous to start off a game.

We don't have anybody like that anymore though, the closest thing we had was Swisher when he wasn't hitting .189 for the month.

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Mar 24, 2009 -> 12:25 PM)
Sure, and you should arrange your lineup accordingly. I'm saying, don't take the qualities you think make a leadoff hitter (which should be OBP at the least, but speed is big for these guys apparently), and limit yourself that way. Its artificially narrowing your choices. Go out and get the best overall guys at all positions, then arrange your lineup with high OBP guys (ideally with some speed) at the front, big boppers in the middle, the rest in the back.

I just think that this search for a leadoff guy who happens to play CF is logically backwards and likely to get bad results.

I agree, but the Sox apparently put all their eggs in the Wise/Owens basket thinking they were the answer and everyone else is wrong. Getz could leadoff, and with BA playing, probably should, but its not ideal. Although I'm a big BA fan, I know he's not a leadoff guy and know he's on the short leash. I think if Getz plays well and Beckham is ready in a month or 2, Ramirez has to go to CF.

QUOTE (lostfan @ Mar 24, 2009 -> 12:27 PM)
We don't have anybody like that anymore though, the closest thing we had was Swisher when he wasn't hitting .189 for the month.

Quentin could leadoff, especially if Konerko could get back to hitting 40 homers a year, but he's very valuable in the 3 hole.

QUOTE (Wanne @ Mar 24, 2009 -> 10:12 AM)
when has the guy HONESTLY been given a shot with consistant innings and abs since he was pretty much tossed to the wolves after Rowand was dealt his rookie year?

Tossed to the wolves?? I think not. He had the low-pressure 9-hole slot on a team with plenty of offense elsewhere. He stunk it up at the plate, plain and simple.

Don't get me wrong, I'm all for giving him another shot, but let's not be revisionist on his 2006.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Mar 24, 2009 -> 01:31 PM)
Quentin could leadoff, especially if Konerko could get back to hitting 40 homers a year, but he's very valuable in the 3 hole.

Yeah, he could, it'd just be a shame to waste all those potential RBI opportunities. Which I guess is a moot point considering there wouldn't be anybody hitting in front of him in the first place, and that if he was leading off the people we're talking about now would be 8th or 9th.

QUOTE (lostfan @ Mar 24, 2009 -> 12:27 PM)

I was actually thinking about Alexei even though he swings early, I like that he doesn strike out ad often can make the pitcher throw alot of pitches. He also brings the threat of a leadoff HR.

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Mar 24, 2009 -> 01:33 PM)
I was actually thinking about Alexei even though he swings early, I like that he doesn strike out ad often can make the pitcher throw alot of pitches. He also brings the threat of a leadoff HR.

I'd rather have him batting 2nd (only if we really had to since his OBP is bad) for the same reasons you said.

QUOTE (Stan Bahnsen @ Mar 24, 2009 -> 12:32 PM)
Tossed to the wolves?? I think not. He had the low-pressure 9-hole slot on a team with plenty of offense elsewhere. He stunk it up at the plate, plain and simple.

Don't get me wrong, I'm all for giving him another shot, but let's not be revisionist on his 2006.

Ozzie said in 2006 he didn't care what Anderson hit, he was only concerned with his defense. He was playing great defense and not hitting, when that extended through June, and everyone but Dye stopped hitting and offense from CF was needed, BA rode pine. Its not easy coming up with a world champion taking one its most popular players' place, and BA was a bit immature anyway.

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Mar 24, 2009 -> 12:33 PM)

He's a bigger threat than the 3 being discussed, that's for sure. I don't know why the Sox would even consider a mediocre at best hitter at the top of the line-up. Its wrong in so many ways. If Juan Pierre even crosses KW's mind, which I'm sure he won't, Ramirez should be given a shot. Same low OBP maybe not the SB, but can do a lot more damage.

Edited by Dick Allen

QUOTE (Stan Bahnsen @ Mar 24, 2009 -> 01:32 PM)

2006, especially the first 3 months, was a situation he created mostly by himself. 2007 was the year he got shafted but instead of sucking it up he pouted about it and made his situation worse. His head is in the right place now, but if his attitude adjustment had happened a year earlier, he might've gotten that shot he's been looking for.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Mar 24, 2009 -> 01:35 PM)
Ozzie said in 2006 he didn't care what Anderson hit, he was only concerned with his defense. He was playing great defense and not hitting, when that extended through June, and everyone but Dye stopped hitting and offense from CF was needed, BA rode pine. Its not easy coming up with a world champion taking one its most popular players' place, and BA was a bit immature anyway.

Yeah, like I was saying in my last post, if he had shown the maturity he's showing now at the beginning of '07 when they needed it from him, the org. might not have felt the need to put us through the torture of Darin Erstad that year.

QUOTE (lostfan @ Mar 24, 2009 -> 12:41 PM)
Yeah, like I was saying in my last post, if he had shown the maturity he's showing now at the beginning of '07 when they needed it from him, the org. might not have felt the need to put us through the torture of Darin Erstad that year.

We need to make a no mention of Erstad rule on here. I got a sick feeling when I saw his name.

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Mar 24, 2009 -> 01:48 PM)
We need to make a no mention of Erstad rule on here. I got a sick feeling when I saw his name.

Haha I understand. I didn't write it the first time because I vomited on my keyboard when I had my finger over the E key. But I figured you guys should have to suffer with me.

KW should be talking to Frank Wren from the Braves right now.

They have 3 candidates for the CF job, and Gregor Blanco is a guy who could leadoff for the Sox for the next 5 seasons, and he's shown he can get on base at the major league level in his rookie season.

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Mar 24, 2009 -> 01:55 PM)
I hate to say it, but GMJ is a pretty good fit outside of his contract situation.

I disagree. Look at these stats lines from the past 2 seasons.

07 - .252/.323/.419

08 - .242/.319/.357

That's a declining hitter right there.

If I was going after an OF from the Angels, I'd go after Willits who you could prob get on the cheap right now.

QUOTE (DBAHO @ Mar 24, 2009 -> 12:57 PM)
I disagree. Look at these stats lines from the past 2 seasons.

07 - .252/.323/.419

08 - .242/.319/.357

That's a declining hitter right there.

If I was going after an OF from the Angels, I'd go after Willits who you could prob get on the cheap right now.

You got me before my edit. You're right, he blows.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Mar 24, 2009 -> 11:35 AM)

That was exactly my point that I didn't iterate very well. I'm pretty happy with BA's maturity as player now. I'd just like to see him get some constant ABs. I honestly don't even think Owens just even be a remote consideration for this roster at this point.

QUOTE (jphat007 @ Mar 24, 2009 -> 05:47 PM)
Swisher sucks - hehe

Maybe so and it looks like he is losing out to Nady to start in the OF for the Yankmees. Bring him back and give him another shot at it in Chitown. He would probbaly come cheap. (like for Chris Stewart maybe?)

QUOTE (Wanne @ Mar 24, 2009 -> 07:04 PM)
That was exactly my point that I didn't iterate very well. I'm pretty happy with BA's maturity as player now. I'd just like to see him get some constant ABs. I honestly don't even think Owens just even be a remote consideration for this roster at this point.

I like BA also. He can and will contribute.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Mar 24, 2009 -> 10:35 AM)

I don't disagree about the mixed msgs. from Ozzie, but it's not like he didn't give BA a legit shot. It wasn't exactly a pressure cooker for BA, until he continued to be a liability with the offense struggling post-ASB. The Aaron Rowand to the HOF crowd wasn't too vocal when we stood at 57-29 on July 7th. Bolded part would be a serious understatement.

I'm rooting for BA, but he's not under any less pressure now. Probably more, because he won't get another chance (definitely here, and maybe nowhere) if he fails again.

QUOTE (elrockinMT @ Mar 24, 2009 -> 04:15 PM)
Maybe so and it looks like he is losing out to Nady to start in the OF for the Yankmees. Bring him back and give him another shot at it in Chitown. He would probbaly come cheap. (like for Chris Stewart maybe?)

Only if the Yankees eat money at the end of that contract.

QUOTE (elrockinMT @ Mar 24, 2009 -> 05:15 PM)

He's actually outhitting and walking Nady. Girardi already made up his mind. I think their's a key difference in personality between he and Ozzie. I don't think Swisher takes things as seriously as Ozzie'd like him too. So, when things got bad last year, and Swish was still joking around i imagine it pissed Ozzie off, and then when Swish sulked for a couple days post-benching that was the straw that broke the camel's back.